SDmini RGBWUV with OLED display

You can buy RGBW LEDs from Richard and build your own. It just won’t have all the awesome features that this light has.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_78&product_id=451

Wow, I’ll give another “you’re insane”

insane = genius

Yeah, the LEDs are out there. It’s the cool drivers that are in short supply (or rather, no supply :cry: ).

Yes. I have 18 RGBW leds in neutral white and only one RGBW driver from dr jones. So I’m making a quad rgbw :slight_smile:

After using a driver like the op, those mce RGBW drivers don’t even count as RGBW. They can’t blend colors or anything like that. just one or two colors at a time.

I have plans to help out that situation. I had been holding off on the MELD driver for a while since I couldn’t solve some issues with my hardware, but I recently decided that I was just making the requirements too strict and it would be better to move forward with relaxed specs. I have a new MELD driver designed with regular AMC7135s for use in any single-cell light for rechargeable cells only. The new design also came with a microcontroller upgrade that gives it 13-bit (8000:1) logarithmic dimming on the white channel, which is an enormous improvement that, in my opinion from the initial testing, makes a huge difference in user experience, especially if you are used to lights with only 8-bit dimming. I also have the firmware updated to selectively turn off features, so that you could, for example, make a light that was just white and UV with the same user interface as the full 5-emitter setup.

Right now the new driver is .75” diameter, but I can make alternate versions in other sizes. I would like to ask those here who would be interested in an RGBWUV driver - what size would fit the lights you want to use it in? Keep in mind that your host needs a momentary switch, which can be the only switch or in addition to a power switch.

This is refreshing to hear! I love the dr jones driver, but I’ve tried for a while now through different methods and he has definitely gone dark. I would love to try your driver! Right now I would be interested in the size 19-20mm but 17mm can always be used with an adapter. I would buy one or two to start and see if I like them. Then maybe more. I will be listening to the conversation intently:)

Right now, I don’t have a host picked out. But, I’m thinking larger hosts would work better for me because I can’t work on stuff as tiny as what others do here. The good thing about larger hosts is that you can make smaller drivers fit. But, if you want to make a specific size, I know of one cheap flashlight that has an e-switch driver. The driver in that one is 24mm diameter. I’d suggest that you could make a 24mm driver with enough edge clearance to sand it down to 22mm, or even 20mm.

Cool, i would be interested in these in smaller sizes, 17mm, 15mm or even smaller :+1:

May I ask the costs of the screen and extra parts needed to get it running?

Oh and more then awesome this!

The screen is about $3.50, microcontroller about $3, miscellaneous other components add up to around $2 probably. The other things added are the amc7135s at around $0.40 total, the XQ-E leds at around $12 total, the uv led which is $26, and the led board which is about $1

I like the Dr.Jones RGBW driver, and your MELD driver looks awesome too (although without your ledboard and tiny XB-D and LuxeonZ leds I would not know where to mount the extra UV-led in a build).

What I really like to see sometimes is a 17mm (+15mm :innocent: ) RGBW clicky driver that is an upgrade over the existing clumsy intl-outdoor driver . With some tinkering you could design a smooth clicky UI, although with a bit less functionality than you can make an e-swith UI.
A clicky driver enables the use of many more hosts, and the build will be so much easier so more people will be doing a RGBW-mod.

Ugh I can’t stand the clunkiness of clicky UIs. I used to do those in my Super RGBW lights and have stayed away from it for many years. I do have a few ideas on improving the usability though. I’ll put some thought into it. I think a clicky UI could run on the same hardware as my new linear drivers.

Thanks for putting some thought into a clicky RGBW driver even though you hate clicky UI’s. :partying_face:

Beautiful mod!
Most I like this extra boards for the color LEDs.

Which intl-outdoor RGB driver are you talking about? I couldn’t find any.

Ai, they finally have run out of them, it was in stock for years. Mountain electronics sells them too, and I see only 2 listed, so that is almost finished too: Color and Dynamic White XM-L Driver - 17mm

I started a thread about this driver two years ago, but that is not very relevant anymore if the driver is not for sale anymore :frowning: , pity, it was an interesting driver, nothing like it around. djozz driver hack #2. (was: Colour driver build, based on D882 sot89 transistor?)

All of my led boards are shared and available to order:

XM-L

XP-L

XB-H

Wow that’s one amazing flashlight
All those wires though, looks like a snakes wedding :slight_smile:

Are you planning to make drivers or even mcu’ available soon? Any idea in a time frame?

Yes, I’ll have drivers available in about 12 days in 16mm (double stack), 19mm, and 24mm (trimmable). I plan to make an info thread about it once I have them in hand. I can also make programmed microcontrollers available immediately in the qfn package, though I didn’t expect much interest in those.