Searching flat ~41mm Reflector for my Elves 77

Hey guys!
I have this nice old Swiss flashlight:

and just love the formfactor. It’s way to nice to slumber in my parts shelf, so I thought I could upgrade it with something like this:

When I remove the bulb holder, cut a hole and mount a heatsink on the back, I have something like ~22mm depth for the reflector. (I don’t want to use the original plastic reflector if possible)
I found this reflector a while ago click but they are all gone now.

Has anyone a hint where I might get a ~41mm x ~20mm reflector that works half decent with that mt-g2?
Seems like an unusual one, can’t find anything in that diameter that is flat enough.
Thank you!

Hehe, now that looks familiar :slight_smile:

I had a bit of a tinker with mine a while ago, wasn’t particularly successful but still fun. I used a spare dedomed XML and built a little heatsink/pedestal for it to sit on out of a brass plumbing part, reflowed a copper coin to the top and filled it with solder. Horrible beam profile, it’s like a slightly rectangular donut hotspot and very wide and fairly faint spill. That’s using the stock reflector (damaged) and stock lens.

An MT-G2 in one of these will be crazy. The case is useless for heatsinking so I’m going to be keen to see how you plan to remove the heat from the emitter.
Looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

With regard to the reflector, I gave up on finding one that would fit and instead wanted to try this lens from kaidomain.
41.6mm 38 Degree COB LED Lens
They sent me the wrong item so I never got to see if it would work but maybe it’s worth investigating for your project?

My favourite features are the coloured filters and combined with the single mode momentary switch it makes for a cool signalling light :slight_smile:

Good luck!

That looks familiar indeed. :slight_smile:
Yeah, the beam profile with original lens is, well, let’s call it ‘interesting’. :wink:
I got a projected emitter image in the center with a dark ring around. Beyond that, light is scattered in the wildest ways possible through this crazy lens. Not exactly pretty.
I like your set-up, it even looks original from the outside! :slight_smile:
Interesting tir lens! Maybe I’ll give that a try. I was looking for the 35mm lens carclo makes for a while now, but they seem rather hard to get.
Yeah, there is no (useful) way for using that emitter without an additional heat sink. My plan was to cut a hole in the back and then bolt a low profile heat sink to it. Something like 50x80x6…10mm.
Would not add to much to the bulkiness of the light and be adequate for autumn/winter time.
Yes the filters are nice, but I sadly had to remove them in order to get 8 AA cells in there. I still have to build battery holders myself to make it fit.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Mtg? Makes no sense for me too in this host. Better go with a XML…

What about a tir? There are mr16 bulbs which could be fitted and would cost just a few dollars. I am not totally sure but I think the lens diameter was 42mm…
You can either use the stock 1W LEDs or change them to whatever you want, there are also one led mr16bulbs if you want to stick with a single cree.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/17964

I have distant future plans for another vintage mod with improved design (may not look as good on the inside but it will be technically better). High probability ill be using one of these reflectors.

You already have issues with heat and the lack of throw with most reflectors. MT-G2 makes no sense IMO.

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. :slight_smile:

If I wanted to use a different emitter, I would have done so. But I really don’t. :wink:
Actually, I can hardly think of any better host for that emitter. I can get a decent amount of NiMH cells in there. I have ~70cm² rectangular surface area on the back that I can attach a heat sink on and even add forced air cooling — a nice sink and fan would only add 10…12mm to the thickness of the light and probably achieve 1K/W thermal resistance. Try that with a tubular host.
Beats hands down any 2D Mag attempt I could realize. :wink: (and comes with a way nicer formfactor )
Just to repeat it one more time, I am not planning on using the steel sheet housing as a heatsink or including it in any other form in the main thermal path. :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s not hard to see why that would be a bad idea.

Lack of throw is a fair point though - to come back to my question with the optics. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll try a little harder to get my hands on a fitting TIR lens.
I’m wondering if that 20° MP-L reflector is nice for an MT-G2. Viewing angle and dimensions of the two emitters are not that far off.

I’ve been thinking of trying to cut up some old PC heatsinks - maybe you could give that a try and post how you did it and results? :slight_smile:

For over a decade now I have plundered most broken electronic devices in my and my friend’s households for stuff like heat sinks before throwing them away, so I have a nice collection. :wink:
I sadly have no tools for cutting big things like CPU heat sinks, but sometimes graphics cards have beautiful heat-sink/fan assemblies.
(a optically nicer solution would be a heat sink like that , only in the right dimensions. )
Yeah sure, I’ll tell how it worked out — even if it sucked. Will take a while though - I will not start building the battery holders and driver until I know I have a solution for the optics that makes me happy. :slight_smile:
(That’s why I might give that reflector a try, they usually deliver next day, not next month. :D)