Semi-compact light with large pill. What are my options?

Got the C818 today, earlier than expected, for $27.50 from the eBay'r combine-m, posted above. So far it looks excellent! Exc. finish, condition. Put a EFEST 26650 in it, and goes thru the 5 modes nice, nice switch feel, and can be turned off on the e-switch, but have to go thru all 5 modes. Quality and style wise, it's like a smaller head Mission M12, but elongated because of the e-switch. The feel of the anodizing is right up there with the MaxToch's. Pretty decent hot spot too. I'll get/post some #'s and details on it. Worthy of a review for sure.

Please do a review. I’m glad that someone other than me believed that it was worthy of a review. I think it’s a jewel in the rough that just needs to be polished.

I didn't get a chance to open it up, but the #'s are quite good: 2.7A tail, just under 900 lumens and 53 kcd throw. This is quite respectable. Head diam is same as a XinTD X3 but stock throw is better. I noticed the battery tube is very thick. Compared to all my other 26650 lights as close to the widest, matched only by the XinTD X3 but the X3 will rattle a 26650 around - the C818 is solid aluminum filler, stockiest I've seen/got accept maybe for the SolarStorm K2.

Edit/Update:

Tried getting access to the pill, but ran into a major jam -- the retaining ring securing the driver down appears to be cross-threaded. I can loosen it a 1/2 turn then it binds up tight. The retaining ring appears slightly slanted on the threads. This is sort of bad news - no easy way, force will probably permanently damage the threads that are also used for the battery tube threading to the pill/head. Only choice would be to drill out the retaining ring, or maybe make holes in the ring where I can work it off somehow, so might be able to re-use it.

I'm thinking though the pill could be quite large, based on outer dimensions. The e-switch is a separate mount - not part of the driver which is good, mounted like on a SRK.

It sucks that you cant get the driver retaining ring out. At least you can open the front and remove the reflector so you can get a look at how the MCPCB sits. From the pictures that I saw, it looks to have a solid shelf like a Convoy M1, Convoy M2, ect.

Yes, I took the reflector out and looks like a solid pill. Actually everything bout this light is solid and thick. It has just enough room for a 20mm star, no bigger, but surrounded by aluminum. The pill section is pretty hefty, not as much as the XinTD X3 but might be close. It seems to have the fins in the right spot, but like most lights, could use more.

Ok - got her open. Drilled thru the guide holes in the retaining ring down to the driver, then could apply upwards pressure by using a hooked tool, and sure enough it unthreaded and came out! I drilled into the driver a little, but should be no harm. With the odd size, I'll be keeping the stock driver as a contact board and piggyback in a 17mm DD+1 (wight's).

Pill area internal measurements:

• 13.3mm depth (from bottom of driver)
  • 23.05mm width clearance in the pill
  • 25.9mm width driver

It has room but I wouldn't call it spacious - no idea what you have in mind. It's a uni-body style for sure. It's great for what I'm doing - a piggyback driver in there with nice e-switch support.

Pics:

Threads into the pill on the battery tube:

I wonder if the tailcap threads are square cut. Tailcap threads picture please. :slight_smile:

Since the driver doesn’t have a physical switch attached, a BLF DD driver would do nicely in there.

Crap - done for the eve, but yes, they are thick and square on the tailcap. I'm really like'n the DD+1 drivers, using the SIR800P FET Smile. I set them up with 5 modes, where the first 3 run only on the 7135 with mode 3 being the full 7135 - no PWM's - this mode 3 does about 125 lumens or so. If you use a neutral tint like a 4C, the first 3 modes look great, then the blues kick in a little for modes 4 and 5. Sort of best of both.

I knew it! This is a jewel in the rough that just needed some polishing. If you hadn’t beat me to it by buying it first, I would have bought it first and done a review on it. Then modded it and done a followup to the review. I might still do that if you don’t do a review on yours.

Most people would laugh at the light because of it’s name and not bother getting it. But at least you had a vision similar to mine and saw what this light can be. Too bad other *Fire manufacturers haven’t made their own clone of it, it could end up being a popular light.

Maybe RMM could order some without any branding on it like he did with the SupFire lights that he carries? If he did, I bet it would be a popular light. Or maybe a BLF Edition group buy without the UrAnusFire branding could be ordered from the OEM?
http://szobm.en.alibaba.com/
http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/UranusFire-c818-CREE-L2-LED-3-mode-1200lm-Hard-Light-LED-Flashlihgt-Torch_sku11445.html

I guess that I should stop right now. I might be starting to sound like a madman, talking all crazy like this about a flashlight. J)

I’ll still buy one, but not right away because I’m spending my money on all the parts that I need to finish up the projects that I already have. I’ve got host and LEDs but no drivers, MCPCBs and other assorted parts.

Please post updates on the progress of your mod. Enquiring minds want to know. 8)

With a little Nyogel, the tailcap threading feels smooth as silk Smile.

As requested, here's the tailcap threads:

I’m sure that your lubed UrAnusFire is smooth as silk. :smiley:

All joking aside, those are the nicest threads that I’ve seen on a *Fire branded flashlight.

The 26mm FET driver from Mountain should be a perfect match for this.

True. It should fit, but I'd prefer goin with a DD+1 driver anyway. I'm using them pretty much exclusively now. The BLF EE A6 actually might be the best around. They added a couple of 10K resistors on the FET and 7135 gates, I think, to eliminate the flash that occurs intermittently when changing modes.

Hoping BG will offer the drivers at some point...

Hi Tom. Think I’m missing something… the link by Jubeldum indicates a price of 17.75

The shipping cost is probably the issue? Are the other differences?

Then try ordering it for that price Wink - the small type says + shipping cost.

I just tried an order - says "we will email you the shipping cost" - commit first, then we will tell you cost -- great Frown. We've discussed this wholesaler many times on BLF over the years - don't recall if anyone actually placed an order - think so, can't recall details though. I believe with shipping costs, the total costs come in the same ballpark, maybe slightly higher. I think guys ordered new lights not yet available anywhere else, not at least at discount prices.

Very likely it's the same light - who else would call it UranusFire? Smile

Mmm, ok, thanks for clearing that up…

Their cheapest shipping would be HKPost. Not sure of the price.

Waiting for some beamshots. BUMP :exmark:

JM35

Shenzen Wholesale have been good to deal with for me.

Ships fast.

Does combined shipping on multiple items.

Packs everything up really well

Good communication.

They used to have great prices on IMR batteries and some hard to get lights.