Seoul CUN66A1B is the best 365 nm LED?

I found here 4 more 365nm UV-leds tested that this LED has almost no visible light. That is what I need to walk at night in forests. Can I buy it somewhere as a 18650 flashlight or so for less than $20? Or to build it myself? What do I need to buy for it but also not expensive?

I will publish here the results if build it myself, I promise :innocent:

I think you will need to build it

Kaidomain

The filter you got is the right size for a Convoy S2 or S2, so you need a host suitable 17mm driver + 16mm mcpcb led (alternatively get a normal 3x or 4x S2+ with biscotti, desolder the mcpcb and solder the new one)

From djozz opinion the Seoul is not really better than the LG, last time I checked Banggood still sends to USA for around $30 for the LG version despite the filter patent issues, or you could ask Simon at Convoy AliExpress if he is willing to sell you a LG UV flashlight without the filter (1750mA 1050mA (it may be the older LG led) )

From a guy who illuminates minerals with UV leds (his name is pirateo40 I believe), I heard that the LG UV-leds last longer than the Seoul Viosys leds. That is something that my tests do not reveal and can only be found in longterm use.

Sure looks like they do. If you scroll way down to the specs it says it’s the LG…

As I understand it is what I need.

And you suggest to buy a good Convoy and replace the LED with a Seoul 5W?
When I use this LED, I don’t a filter anymore.

Well, In that same message you quoted

So the LG and the Nichia beat the Seoul. Are you sticking with the Seoul because it’s 5W? Otherwise you could just get the one I linked with the LG and you’re done

azj, LG in Convoy you linked is also 5W

begev79652 you can buy Convoy azj linked and you are done, nothing to change.
Only thing to consider with that is that is has just one max level, are you ok with that?

Same Convoy for less (also one mode only)

And this LG LED short review

Edit: Ops, where are you? Cannot deliver to USA

The only one reason why I don’t order Convoy is advertisements and something like monopoly on the UV flashlight market.

I’m in Germany and it can be delivered to me.

I see they have a linear driver, it makes almost no sense since it has only one battery 18650

The Convoy UV flashlight are simply good and cheap, that is the reason why they are popular. They do not have a monopoly at all, there are many companies advertising their UV flashlights, but usually they are worse than the Convoy and are overpriced.

I’m not really sure what you mean, in USA someone related to WayToCool got a patent on the use of filters in UV flashlights so WTC has some kind of monopoly there (the actual manufacturing is done by Convoy, but I guess most of the revenues go to WTC), but IIRC there are a few companies selling their own flashlights in Amazon, maybe they are paying dues, maybe they just fly under the radar.

Another reason you may perceive a monopoly is that the mineral community just calls every 18650 UV flashlight in similar form factor a Convoy, regardless of the actual brand and manufacturer (Trademark erosion ). Trademark erosion is not so rare, in my country sport shoes are often called ‘Championes’ because at some time only the Champion brand was popular (even if rare here nowadays), but most people that use it don’t know it’s not a proper spanish word but rather comes from a brand.

A linear driver is not very good for UV LEDs but it’s cheap. Convoy is a small company and most of its sales are visible light flashlights where a linear driver is good enough because of the lower Vf. The mineral community needs sustained output but I guess it’s too small to justify using an expensive driver like a boost-buck. The C8 model uses an inexpensive buck driver to obtain sustained output using two cells (edit: if you buy a UV C8 make sure you ask for an OP - Orange Peel - reflector unless you really want the more concentrated beam)

I keep wanting to make a cool UV flashlight. Then I keep coming back to the following issues:

• Very high Vf. Lends itself to buck/boost drivers, or 2S (or more) buck drivers.
  • LED longevity: From what I keep reading, these guys don't last. Especially if you drive them at max rated currents.
    • This is even with good heatsinking, which is absolutely critical by the sounds of things. From what I can tell, if you have bad heatsinking you may as well just throw the LEDs straight into the trash and not waste the time building the light.
  • For a multi-emitter setup (my original goal), Carclo TIRs are out of the question due to the polycarbonate blocking significant portions of the relevant UV spectrum. So you'd have to look at things like the Sofirn C8F
  • If I did build anything remotely "high-power" in UV, I'm sure I'd manage to damage my eyes, my wife's eyes, my pets' eyes, or all of the above. And yes I know to buy the goggles.

And then I end up circling back around to the basic Convoy S2(+) UV.

Maybe if it really comes down to it, and I get UV-activated adhesive, I'll just use my wife's gel-nail polish UV light thing.

Yes, driver is a problem, regardless some talks about building one still nothing to buy.

There is a good old driver but price is hard to swallow.

This is an option if one can fit it into flashlight, but again, price is high

Maybe use typical buck and 2 18350 cells.

Well, I can honestly say I love my Convoy S2+, but mine has a nichia LED as I got it just before the LG was available. I also have a Jaxman mini UV, that was a little more expensive. Both have the filters. I’d say they work about the same for me. I don’t use them that much. :stuck_out_tongue: