Shortening a p60 host & quick mods for tailstand?

Specifically a solarforce. Has anyone done it?

I really enjoy my p60 lights but would like them even more if they were just a tad shorter. I was thinking I could remove some of the threading at the tail end and remove a bit of material from the front of a tail cap and it would screw on shorter. Just curious if anyone has done it before.

Also, I like my lights to be able to tailstand but donā€™t like how it makes the light visually longer (Itā€™s more of a preference thing). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of making a light tailstandable? The best option Iā€™ve seen is someone using some rubber tubing over the light that can be slid up and down. I want it to look clean though.

I saw somewhere that someone glued a piece of stiff tubing to the back end for tail standing. Dunno about shortening the light.

I think an 18500 P60 host would be primoā€¦too bad thereā€™s not a big enough market for SF to entertain such an endeavor.

Your idea of shortening the threads and tailcap by a little could help a little bit.

Yea, still reading around and the best option is probably to find some rubber tubing with the right inner diamter that is thin, but stiff enough to tailstand a light. I can slide it to the end for tailstand or all the way onto the tube to get it ā€œout of the wayā€.

I just ordered another l2t for modding. I actually pieced a l2t tailcap and l2t body tube with an l2p head (as I wanted the anti-roll and the crenelated bezel) and it came out cheaper than the normal l2t. It was sub $14 before shipping.

Exactly! I think it is actually possible with the l2m. Keep the spring short on the driver (or no spring at all if possible) and cut down the spring on the tailcap. Then also add a spacer or two before putting on the tailcap.

The main problem for me not pursuing that build was because I could not source some good/cheap protected 18500 batteries. Kumabear was almost going to get some keeppower (sanyo) 1500mah ones but there isnā€™t enough interest.

You need a SolarForce L2M.

Tailstand without making the light longer.. drill three holes in the tailcap, cut threads and screw in small rods. Should make for a good tailstand with a little greek influence (pillars).

If you take the spring off the P60 drop in and shorten the spring on the switch a 18500 will work in the L2M.

thats good to know - i just got 2x 18350 imrs for my l2mā€¦ they do very well, even powering my 5.6a quad and 6.0a triple, but they tire QUICKLYā€¦. (less than 10 mins) on high

Good idea. Something similar to MRsDNF does his lights is what came to mind. Donā€™t know how that could affect the water resistance though.

Iā€™m thinking maybe thread the outside of the tailcap and threading the inside of a cylinder just slight bigger. I can screw it tight so that the button is exposed or unscrew it down past the button to tailstand. Just have to see how feasible this will be.

If that is an option for you (requires a lathe), I'd just buy another tailcap and make exactly what you described, but with another tailcap. So it will still look stock. ;)

L2, micro :wink:

IIRC, that only works on the older solarforce hosts; I believe pre-2011.

That is correct

The goal mainly is to go for a shorter 18650 light. I have a fenix tk11 that is quite compact in comparison to a solarforce p60 host which has a lot of unnecessary length.

Are the body tubes sold on solarforce-sales the older ones? I might pick up one of those just to be able to make a micro.