Should this forum (introduce yourself) be compulsory?

Great, now everyone will ask for a funny pic. :)

Jean·sy adj. 1. a. Of or pertaining to jeans.

Not asking but you supplying is what makes your posts so great, RC. :) They always make me smile.

Good work, how did you get a pic of the mrs tho :0

I love this image. The colour scheme reminds me of Hygrade carburettor kits.

Nothing should be mandatory here.

It’s a good point but I really like it the way it is. I never made an introductory post, I just don’t like to do that. If someone welcomed me when I posted on a subject I was interested in, that would just be friendly. How can a friendly greeting be annoying? The effort to scroll past it or is someone really annoyed by greetings?

Oh, no! Welcome to BLF, Langcjl. :nerd_face: And +1 on what Langcjl said.

Jeansy, if you and a friend were out a pub talking about flashlights and a third person comes over and says, “Hey, I like flashlights, can I hang out with you guys? And your friend says, ”Sure, happy to have you hang with us.” Then you go back to talking about flashlights, do you consider the conversation to be hijacked? What I mean is, I never understand why we expect the conversations here to behave differently then conversations do away from the internet.

Is it a waste of time to have an alert send you to a thread for nothing more than post that says, “Hi.” Maybe, but, no insult intended, are we not just killing time being here anyway? Not that it isn’t fun and entertaining to hang with you guys. Heck, I’m sure you sometimes have an alert sent you here just to see a post from me that is, at best, marginally helpful or funny. Maybe I should only post in the “cone” thread. Maybe we all should only post in our assigned threads so that other members are never disappointed?

Like this post. :P I do agree with you though. :)

Welcome to all, old friends and new!!!

IMO, a string of greetings takes away much of the pristine cordiality of the first welcome posted, making the lot seem more like a routine compulsory act.

When an established forum member extends a welcome to a newcomer, he does that in the name of our entire community, at least in my view he does.

Well, Agedbriar, despite what I said earlier, I can see where one greeting might be sufficient. On the other hand, is this really that big of a problem?

Absolutely no problem, just discussing which approach is better or perhaps more pleasing.

Besides, in different cultures these things may be seen quite differently.

This is how I started. Besides, anything that’s cumpulsory is no longer a courtesy.

Well said. You can always lend some encouragement to a newbie in later. In fact, I would guess they would have more impact spread out a bit.

I say leave it alone too,I only see that as an anti-spam tool but you can usually weed those fools out soon enough.I also see some new posters will jump on a thread they are comfortable with or start one of their own.I think some noobs don't like the attention or have cold feet and would prefer sneaking in on a thread as opposed to a "grand enterance"

It’s great the way it is. It is part of what makes our home away from home so charming.

Except proper grammer ???

Lot of people would have to leave..^^

Definately! :bigsmile: