Should we stop buying chinese product with coronavirus spread?

Starting to be concerned that we may be spreading the virus from deliveries. No one knows who handles our boxes in china.

There's already at least a couple of threads on the topic:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/60668

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/60666

I’m not worried. Most parts were already put in little plastic bags ages ago. Before the outbreak. If you think a packet smells fishy, put on some surgical gloves, take a pair of scissors, open the dustbin, and cut the parcel open (standig up-wind). Drop the rest of the parcel and the gloves in the bin. And take the content inside with you. But only if you are secret agent 006.99.

If you are not, don’t worry. Act as usual. The chance that the virus will survive the trip is minimal.

I have an order in from Kaidomain. I think I will flood the package and then it’s contents with ultra bright UV light, then red light then blue light then green light.

Not because I think any of this will kill a virus but simply because it would feel highly technical and I don’t get to use those lights very often. :smiley:

It may even help to make buzzing whirring clicking sounds while scanning… what? This all supposed to be fun, right?

Should we stop buying chinese product with coronavirus spread?

You can do that, but it's completely paranoid. Viruses usually only survive minutes/a few hours outside the host body, at the very most up to one week (under ideal conditions).

You can definitely catch a deadly infectious disease from the delivery guy who hands the parcel to you, though.

The virus does not live long outside the body

Businesses are shut down over there. Only thing I'd worry about is taking God knows how long to get an order. Really wish Convoy and others would set up an Amazon store like Sofirn. That's how I got my sp's 70, 36 and C8f. Two days instead of months.

No, this it no fun. To be honest, I think there is nothing to worry about (with your parels).
But if you do, the method I suggest seems to be safest, apart from chasing the postman away.

Every year 2000 people in NL die of the common flu, and everybody thinks that’s normal. Though I think that number is a bit too high. It’s one of many estimates. People die every day. Population NL: 17.6mln. Lifespan NL: 80yr = 29,200days. Lifespan is fullfilled for 600 people/day (ballpark).
The big question is: at what point it’s thought to be the flu, and when it’s “natural causes”.
What makes this (any) flu dangerous, is the mortality-rate. There’s little known about that atm.

Misinformation abounds.

The Coronavirus is closely related to SARS and I’ve been reading that in a cold environment these viruses can live much longer than once believed, certainly more than hours or a week.

At 40C or higher temps they are indeed shorter lived, but it’s cool to cold over there now and here in most US states as well. (Not so much in Texas but hey it changes all the time!)

Some precautions may not hurt at all. No need to be paranoid about it but careful is wise. Like, I read that it is not customary for people in China to wash their hands with soap and water on any kind of regular basis. Here in the States people tend to obsess and use anti-bacterial soap and sanitizers constantly. Radically different environments.

So some degree of caution couldn’t hurt, but the experts don’t seem to believe there is any real danger of extreme spreading of this in most environments. Remember, here in the States common Flu kills around 6000 people a year and yet no ones panicking about it. This past Flu season alone the CDC reports 12,000 Flu related deaths. Seems we could use some precautionary measure all the time.

This is complete misinformation. Whenever you read that "people" tend to do this or that it's usually wrong. I have seen plenty of people everywhere who obviously don't use soap on a regular basis. Step out of your bubble, how often do you think your common delivery guy washes his hands on his/her work day?

Coronavirus not a risk form mail, according to the USA Govt:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of 2019-nCoV associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of 2019-nCoV in the United States associated with imported goods.

Comments about about the rarity of handwashing soap in public toilets seem widespread from people in China.
What basis do you have to suspect they are misinformed?

Did you see this in the earlier thread?

and a Google search will turn up lots of advice for Westerners visiting China, e.g.

Oh, please, if you’re going to rebunk David Icke conspiracy theories, at least tell us why you find them convincing.
You can look this guy up.

Don’t be fooled again.

But they mutate rapidly. :slight_smile:

The Japanese official largely responsible for bringing the novel coronavirus to Japan just killed himself. I guess he didn’t figure there was much to worry about either.

Lol ,I never said I believe or disbelieve, i just put it out there along with the rest of the theories, I think the lizard stuff is a bit far fetched ,but he does have some good points about how the elite can & do manipulate politics & people.
Make of it what you will.