Shrooms anyone?

http://thegreatmorel.com/recipes.html

Here are some fancy ones.

http://www.marthastewart.com/274386/morel-recipes/@center/276955/seasonal-produce-recipe-guide#282055

Nice one. :smiley:

There is a group of people who’s mission in life to test (by eating) all mushrooms of unknown or ambiguous toxicity… care to join the endeavor?

no, but I know a few people that I’d like to volunteer

Mushrooms feel weird in my mouth, except when on pizza. :slight_smile:

Nice shrooms!
We have to wait some moths before mushroom season starts over here.
I think I have never eaten morchella, they are pretty much all protected here. Are they tasty?

Great looking morels! Wish I’d find more of ’em here in Maine. What other species do you harvest? I go for golden chanterelles, black trumpets, lobster mushrooms, bi-color boletes, and king boletes (porcini).

These mushrooms are far too good for making food with.

They dont taste anything like a regular shroom. They are almost more like a good quality piece of beef.

I soak them in salt water over night. Rinse them ( to get rid of the last of the bugs). Sprinkle them lightly with garlic salt. Dip in milk, roll in flour and fry in butter, add salt to taste. NOTHING LIKE IT IN THE WORLD.

My girlfriend and I have found some other varieties here in MO. None of course even hold a candle to the morel, but some are not bad. Puffer balls are edible and prolific here but absolutely tasteless. Be a good survival food I guess. Last year we found what I think is called a either a chicken or hen of the woods ( they are 2 different kinds). That was about a 2 star musshroom a little better than puffer. She found a huge Beards Tooth mushroom also. That was kinda good. I breaded it in instant potato flakes and fied it. Sort of like a veggie substitute for a chicken burger.

I'd say coral mushrooms are probly the next step above that. These can be used in place of a store bought mushroom when cooking. I made spaghetti with em that was ok. Breaded and deep fried they are sort of like onion straws in texture but with a very mild flavor.

I would love to try some of those chanterelles. I have always heard great things about them, but never seen one.

The other thing I would really like to try is a truffle! I have had he fake oil, and I do like it, but there is no substitute for the real thing.

What's the Morel of the story ??

Found some morels when I was out this morning. Found 3 large nice ones. My girlfriend found a cache last week while at work in the park, so we had those on a homemade pizza a few nights ago. Delicious!

Once you try truffle, there’s no going back.

One of the local restaurants here did a wild mushroom soup with truffle, absolutely sensational.

OK, I am going to need a little more info on the truffles and chanrelle mushrooms from people who have actually had them.

Like for example do the summer truffles have a similar flavor to with winter varieties or do I really need to pop for the higher end ones?

Which are better the black, white or does it matter?

I am guessing fresh and not dried is the way to go?

How do we ship them???

Truffles begin to lose their truffely goodness the minute that they are picked…