Side-switch tube light options for Noctigon triple

I am looking for a “tube light” host for a build using the 20mm triple Noctigon.

The Convoy S lights are great, except I would like a side e-switch.

I say host, but I really need the switch to be pre-mounted, so a working light is probably my only option.

It needs to be at least decent quality, and right around $15-20.

I saw a mod where someone mounted an e-switch in an S2, but that is too involved for my skills. (edit: Here )

Are there any options out there?

I’m picturing a form factor kind of close to this one, but much cheaper.

I will be following this closely. I’m really enjoying building my own lights (just basic assembly, mods etc) and would love to try out an e-switch light.

This is a sweet host, but you would still need to fabricate a switch holder. At least the plunger and such are already done. I got one, but haven't had a chance to work on it yet. I plan on making the switch holder out of plastic or copper.

Yeah I doubt I could figure out how to mount the switch. OP updated

People have used a Roche F6 for triples before, but I think it’s quite a bit chunkier than a Convoy S2

………………

This could be a candidate, but $30 is still a little pricey for a host imo. Reviewed here.

That does look nice.

Remember, anything with a deep bezel is costing you lumens. So (IMO) ideally the bezel/head assembly has female threads retains the lens/etc.

EDIT: the exception to the rule would be lights like the F35, where the bezel is so chunky that the lens actually fits inside it rather than against it like normal small lights.

ZY-T 11 and 29 are shorter than convoy s series.There is an Ultrafire model that is similar as well.They are not pure tube lights , but pretty close.

New EX01 starry light. Should be priced around $15. But you will have to wait until banggood or fasttech puts it up for sale.

This might work but probably not the quality you are looking for.

That starry one looks decent

EDIT: I can’t seem to separate my reply from your quote. Fixed: Thanks for the tip Wight :wink:

I have two of them and the quality is right up there with EagleEye, perhaps even slightly better.

The matte anodizing on my two are simply flawless as well as the AR coated glass lense and SS bezels at each end.

But IMO the feature that distinguishes it from pretty much any other tube style side switch is that the e-switch is mounted independently from the driver, similar to a SRK, making it exceedingly easy to replace the driver and still utilize the e-switch.

Thanks for the info will manners. Pricey, but it might be worth it. I still don’t like the deep bezel thing though. :frowning:

The problem with your quote is the part right at the end of it, note the part that I have underscored:
“[…]1288200-ultrafire-c20-cree-xm-l2-t6-4-mode-600-lumen[/quote]”

This forum software requires whitespace (a normal space is fine) between the
[/quote]
and any hyperlink/url/image/thing/whatever which immediately precedes it. So change that line to read like this and you’ll be fine:
“[…]1288200-ultrafire-c20-cree-xm-l2-t6-4-mode-600-lumen [/quote]”

Wow it does sound nice…. But is the e-switch worth the $20 premium over a convoy host? Hmm…

Its the pill separate or integrated into the head?

Thanks for the tip Wight :wink:

The pill is integrated into the head, which utilizes an oddly sized 14mm MCPCB. However I do agree with Wight that the SS bezel which although adds huge amounts of aesthetic appeal, causes internal reflections resulting in slight rings around the very edge of the beam. Personally the beam profile is the only negative I can attribute to it.

hmm… one more question, what is the internal diameter of the head close to the top? Would I be able to squeeze in a 20mm triple?

Inside diameter of host ~22mm
Diameter of opening of SS bezel - 20.5mm
Diameter of AR lense - 24mm
Height between the pill and the lense - 22mm.

Those dimensions, specifically that of the AR lense may make this host less than ideal for a triple build with a 20mm optic. You will certainly have to get a spacer machined for it.

Thanks for all that info. I think I’ll try my build in the Convoy S5 since I already have one, and if I hate the UI with a clicky I’ll give this one a shot.

How about this, Tank007 M30/M30-C.
http://www.tank007.com/products_detail/&productId=cf731e6e-21a4-4268-a578-74dcc0212ac1.html
http://www.tank007flashlight.com/ProductDisplay_Product/Product/3/5/64.html
From here.
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_27632.html
Better price from here.
http://deals.dx.com/team.php?id=3714

I have no idea what the internals are like. I’ve been looking for the same ‘style’ (off & on) for awhile myself. This just might fill the bill.

EDIT (2/21/15)
Another one (better quality??), only $19.30 free shiping.
http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-t2-cree-xp-g-r5-5-mode-380lm-memory-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-18650-121724

Rick

Hey Will,
I don’t suppose you also have a Roche F6 to compare it to, do you?