Simple led change for Sunwayman D80A - to Cree XHP 50 leds Raining, but there is one beam shot up now.

I received a Sunwayman D80A the other day and I was thinking...

That usually gets me into trouble, so I decided to see what the battery holder put out for voltage. I thought it would be 4.8v with 8xAA NiMHS 4S/2P, but it turns out to be all in series, for 10.44 volts. (I don't read reviews much or I would have known that). Well, heck, if it's that high of a voltage, then the XM-L2 leds must be in series. Goody! That means two XHP50 leds in Parallel will work and I can use the stock driver.

Let's see how it goes.

Once you remove the head, you can use a small phillips screwdriver to take out 2 screws. They hold the driver in and once they are out, you can lift the driver right out. There are 5 wires inside. 3 of them go into a connector for the switch and the other two are led+ & led -.

I just desoldered the two wires and you can just leave the three wire connector in place. There's enough slack that you do not have to risk breaking it, trying to get it off the switch inside. I took it off, but it's not necessary.

The bezel comes off after removing 4 T-10 screws from the front. Then the lenses and reflectors come right out. Just tip the head upside down and shake.

The XM-L2 leds are in series. Cut the series bridge wire from inside the back side of the head and the leds come right out. They have thermal paste under them.

Shows the wires I cut. These are aluminum mcpcbs and they are made for the light. They are about 24mm OD, but I just used 20mm XM-L Noctigon stars for replacements.

I reflowed two 6200K XHP50 leds and used 20ga wires. I will be wiring in parallel, so both positive go to the driver led+ and both negative go to the driver led-. I am using the same centering rings and the reflectors do not need to be opened up. They sit over the centering rings as before and I used that to center the mcpcbs when I dropped the reflectors back in. The bezel presses against the lenses when it is tightened, so the stars are pressed against the led shelf, for good thermal transfer.

I tested the stock reflectors with a couple Li-ion cells, DD, so I could see how bad the beam would be. The stock reflectors have a very mild OP finish, but it left the black x in the beam, so I tore it back down and did my own heavy OP finish with clear paint. I believe I have a video on my youtube channel showing how to do that.

That took care of all the artifacts.

All buttoned back up and ready to test with the stock battery pack.

It has a larger spot, more spill and is twice as bright as it was before. Well worth a couple hours in the shop.

I will do outside beam shots tonight.

This is a great mod for anyone who is into modding. Simple to replace the leds/mcpcbs and still keep the stock switch. Hope y'all try it out sometime.

great mod!

thanks for messing with my mind… :wink:

another beauty! I like this one, very much. Wish I had your skill. If this one goes up for sale it will go quickly!

original lumens? Anticipated ?

thanks.

That’s cool, very unique.

Very cool indeed! Do you think you can do the same mod with the smaller version? Swm d40c?

Original lumens rated by Sunwayman - 2000. I do not measure lumens, but by eye, it was not putting out 2000 lumens. Over 1000, yes, but not 2000. I have not done nor did I do amp tests, but I would guess the stock light might be doing anywhere from 1200 to 1400 lumens. With the XHP50 leds, well, by eye, definitely over 2000 lumens, but probably not 3000, due to the stippled reflectors, which cause a larger spot and brighter spill, as well as reduce OTF lumens quite a bit. Still I would eye estimate at 2500+ lumens with the new leds. Night shots should help tell better.

I would not think so, since 4x AA cells would only be 4.8v even in series, unless the driver is a boost driver, which I do not know.

D40C is 2x18650 or 4xCR123A in series.

Driver D80A

Driver D40C (KronoReview: Sunwayman D40C Flashlight) KronoReview

Do they share the same driver?

I think it is possible.

I didn't go look at the D40C. I just thought it was like the EA8 and EA4. OK, then it will work. Does look like the same driver.

Only one beam shot up in the OP. It's raining tonight, so I can't do much, but you can get the idea. It's floody and bright, even in between the rain storms.

Nice! A 4000 lumen d40c does sound appealing!

Ah, OL pulling aces from his sleeve, again :bigsmile:

I have only this to say “Kudos” Those on Strava and cycling will understand :smiley:

Don't forget to join the Lumens MTS ;)

Neither see it as a Strava club or forum? :smiley:

Edit: Ahhh….reference to Strava MTS :wink: Lets start a Lumens MTS Group!

And bang!
https://www.strava.com/clubs/132768

How much candela has the lamp with XHP50 led’s? The same with XM-L2?

Give it more Outdoorbeamshots?

???