Simple muggle flashlight? Need recommendation.

I need to replace the aging incandescent flashlight my parents use for emergencies. I cannot stress how simple it needs to be.

Requirements:

Up to 800 lumens or so on high. Equivalent is 60W light bulb is fine for emergencies.

Ability to handle all modes without stepping down or getting too hot to handle.

2 or 3 modes. No SOS mode.

18650 or other Lithium battery is fine because...

USB charging with indicator light.

Decent CRI. Prefer 80+. Warm 4000-4500

Mechanical switch, or 2 switches. (on/off, modes). No parasitic drain.

Something tells me Convoy or Sofirn makes something like this. But major brands like Fenix or Surefire are okay. Price not an issue.

Edit: Now that I think about it, a rechargeable flashlight with a 26650 is fine too. It doesn't need to be super small. Probably best it isn't.

Buy then this . Choose the one mode option and 4000K.

One mode .
High CRI.
Take freshly charged batteries every time you visit and swap them out for them .
Simple .

I use this as a bike light with a TwoFish LockBlock .

My parents live in another State so manual intervention by me is not ideal.

Maybe a dive light . I just bought 2 because of the simple UI

Surefire G2X should be ideal. Depending on tactical or pro version you choose, there is one or two modes.
Run on 2 primary CR123. They can leave it for a year and it will still light up when needed. You can also use 16650 rechargable.

Very reliable. Really good light. I have multiple. One major camping light I use, because I don’t need to worry about anything when I hand it to my kids.

Maybe this one?
Warsun X608

3 mode * 2 but easy to understand, no double or triple click needed (hold button to change from LED to COB)
Big battery already there
Built in charger and powerbank
Cheap with coupon (16$ Archive topic - Banggood & Fin17)
Magnetic tail, holds it horizontally without a problem
not super small, so easy to hold and hard to loose

I don’t have it so i don’t know if its simple but a 4AA Sofirn SF11 might work?

https://sofirnlight.com/products/sf11-flashlighth

But you might have to buy Eneloops and a charger.

TBH, I think something from Maglite would best suit your situation. They’re pretty much bomb proof, simple UI, and modern iterations throw a respectable amount of light. The ML150LRS(X) ticks most of your boxes (with minor exceptionsl: gives you up to 820 lumens, comes with its own RC cradle, and has options for minor UI programming (but for Mom and Dad, the default Eco/low/Full should suffice). Not sure about the tint, but it’s probably a bit cooler than you mentioned.

ML150LRS

All good stuff. Thanks guys.

Sounds like you could pick up a Sofirn SP35/SC31 Pro, turn in muggle mode then send them to your parents.

The SP35 should be real nice with a 21700 5000mAh battery and should last practically forever in muggle mode. Best part about it for the non enthusiasts is the lit switch (easy to locate in the dark) as it also tells them when the battery needs charging (red to charge).

Yes, the lit switch has a low parasitic drain (not what you wanted) but I think it’s a great compromise and adds much more usability for very little drain.

And should be easy to charge as it’s got integrated USB C charging. A perfect muggle light IMO.

Dan

Matt Smith, who goes by BLF name vestureofblood, is in the process of starting a new line of lights. It sounds like he will be making some very muggle-friendly models with many of the features you’re looking for.

Perhaps you could reach out to him and see if you could be one of the first to buy one?

He mentions one of the first models he’s working on at the 3:22 mark of this video:

^^ 100%, Matt smiths new light!

Generally, you ain’t gonna get a mechanical switch and usb charging, unless you know they’ll be able to handle turning the light ON to charge it. I even got bit by that once, and I ain’t a n00b. So that means yeah, parasitic drain, only hopefully low enough to not be an issue.

You want a nice light, try the EC50 (Acebeam). Not the cheapest, but simple UI. Click on/off. Press’n’hold when off for moonlight (independent of the memorised setting). 2click for turbo. Press’n’hold when on to change modes. No blinkies at all. USB charging. 26650. Feather-touch sideswitch for arthritic fingers (ie, no shooting pains trying to click a stiff mechanical switch). Easy to hold.