Simple & reliable 18650 light under $25. Any suggestions?

Problem is that all the manufacturers love strobe modes. If you can stretch to $30 then the Convoy L4 might be a good match for you (strobe is hidden from the main modes), but the other Convoy lights have a good reputation for being good quality. If you have a soldering iron and want to build your own then the Convoy C8 with an XML2 and Qlite driver is a good way to have no strobe modes under $25. Anyone know if there’s a good P60 drop-in that doesn’t have strobe?

Not aware of one since Manafont closed up shop... Now we can't get the UltraFire 3-mode...

I just sold mine to someone I work with who needed a new drop-in. Cry

It was the hotness at one time...

M1 is a very handy flashlight, smaller reflector means it’s slightly floodier than C8 which is good for general purpose light. 2,1A version will produce 800 emitter and around 650 out of the front lumens, that’s still a lot of light. It will also have longer runtime and less bright lower modes - it’s not a bad thing because 40% out of 2,8A is really a lot of light and lower modes should be useful when you don’t need it. Convoys (M1/C8) driver has two groups of modes, one doesn’t have strobe/sos at all. I have Convoy L4 and I think it may be a little bit too throwy, med and high mode are a little too close (med is too bright) and if you change modes quickly you can accidently activate strobe which is not very pleasant.

@mrmatt
Here’s good P60 drop-in:
http://intl-outdoor.com/xml2-p60-dropin-module-alxm2-p-740.html

You can choose emitter, modes (only one option has strobe) and reflector type.

Can’t wait for my Convoy M1 to arrive from RMM. I should get it tomorrow!!! :bigsmile:

Mine’s a juiced up version with 4.5 amp driver and an MTG2.

Convoy M1 would be my suggestion also.

You can get them from Simon on aliexpress with just 3 modes. The 3/5 mode driver is ok but I occasionally find I have switched between the groups by accident.

It’s a very practical light.

If you like the C8 form factor and are ready to shell out $5 more, go for the XinTD C8:
http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v4-xml2-u2t6-18650-flashlight-p-308.html
You can choose various tints (i have the XM-L2 T4 5B1) and drivers without disco modes.

[edit]
Local reviews:
Old model Review: XinTD C8 (SC-82)
Latest model Review: XinTD C8 SC-82/V4 (3C neutral white)

welcome to BLF… my suggestion is to add few more dollars and get Convoy L4, you won’t be disappointed with this light.
it’s much better than regular C8 and mod it with simple resistor mod and you got yourself a nice thrower for the money.
beautiful design light and easy to carry too :smiley:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1457700-convoy-l4-cree-xm-l2-u2-1a-4-mode-1000-lumen-led

+1. Mine is the 2.8amp version in 3C tint. Best bang for my buck IMHO :smiley:

Try your luck with wallbuy’s lucky money event. You could potentially get that L4 for a cool $17 like several of us did last time thanks to some awesome folks with extra codes.

Otherwise a simple C8 with the 2 group configuration works well. I’ve used mine a good 10-15 hours, never had an issue accidentally switching into the 5 mode group. Heat may be an issue indoors, but outdoors on high in 40 - 70 *F weather with little to no wind it wasn’t an issue.

It depends on what is OP looking for. Nice thrower for the money or more general purpose light. If it’s the second option than L4 isn’t very good choice becauise med mode is way too bright.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, they all have been very useful.
I’ve decided on 2 things: it will be a Convoy light and this time I will be buying from Fasttech. I’ve also narrowed it down to 4 possible options.

I will try to summarize, and please let me know if something is not correct.
(And pls don’t laugh, it’s a steep learning curve… :wink: )

Option1: C8 U2 1B 2800mA
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212403
=> This would be a good thrower with cool white light and relatively high output but short runtime. It would get quite warm (hot?) on high after a short time.

Option 2: M1 T6 3C 2100mA
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212404
=> This would be a good all-purpose light with better tint and higher runtime but moderate output. Great form factor (except for the crown bezel).

Option 3: M2 T6 3C 2100mA
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212501
=> Basically the same as the above, but with a smooth stainless bezel (which I’d prefer over the crown bezel of the M1) and probably a bit better finish (?). Are there any more differences? Is it worth the extra or I shouldn’t bother?

Option 4: L4 U2 1A
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1457700
=> This seems like a lot of fun but not very practical for everyday use. A lot of throw and output, but short runtime (?). Maybe a bit too big even for bag carry.

So what do you all think? Is it more or less OK, or am I completely off again? :slight_smile:
I’m leaning towards option 2 (M1) because of its size and suitability for everyday purposes, but before I pull the trigger I’d need some opinions to push me over the fence or convince me of the merits of the M2 or one of the other options.

Thanks in advance.

I'd go with option 2 but change to the 2800mA driver. That light should handle 2.8A fine unless you want to leave it on high for a really long time!

-Garry

The M1 and M2 are not the same. The reviews for the M1 are consistently better. I seem to remember the M2 has a questionable heat path and the build was not considered to be as good.

Again, I would suggest ordering from Simon at Aliexpress over the Fasttech one, you can spec a 3 mode driver and a next gen XM-L2 emitter in neutral white and have a really great torch for twenty bucks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Convoy-M1-Cree-XM-L-U2-1B-2-Group-3-5-Mode-LED-Flashlight/826041552.html

Use the ‘contact’ button to make any requests, I’ve found him very easy to deal with.

The L4 is better quality compared to the C8 and has a few better than budget features (better thermal path through copper star, built in LED shelf, good springs, electronic switch). Iirc l4 doesn’t throw as well as a c8, and my L4 is also not as bright as my other c8’s either. The L4 feels really nice in your hand.

You’re pretty well spot on with your summaries. I can’t speak to the m2 or m1 with personal experience.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the 4 choices, but my pick would be the L4 for quality and an in between of brightness/current/runtime (around 2600ma).

@garrybunk
2,8A also means more heat (even though M1 can dissipate it) and brighter lower modes.

@gregs656
M1 also has bigger reflector than M2.

@unknown00101
L4 gives ~3A to the emitter. The other C8 you have is from Convoy? If not I can assure you that all Convoys are decent quality lights.

I would prefer to pay by PayPal, so unfortunately Aliexpress is not an option. :frowning:
Thanks for the heads-up on the M2 problems though!

The L4 (option 4) should perform about the same as the C8; probably a bit throwier though due to the smooth reflector. It would be an option if you really want a side-clicky switch. The C8 has the advantage of using standard parts though; you would need a special driver if you ever wanted to upgrade/modify the L4.

I say go with the C8! That's a good light, and still small enough to drop in a pocket. Get the other one if you really don't value throw though...

Sorry, worded that poorly. My convoy c8 pulls 2.8ma on the button, but my L4 is around 2.6 iirc (posted actual number somewhere… I’ll look it up). Despite L4 being xml2, copper star, and less resistance issues my L4 is not as bright as my convoy or tangsfire c8. I may have just got a slightly weaker than normal L4, idk.

That’s a shame.

What are you planning on using this for?

I plan to use it as a medium-duty EDC light. Nothing special, mainly general lighting tasks that my pocket light couldn’t handle (it gets hot after a short time on max, I use it with a 10440 cell). I don’t plan to pocket-carry it.
Oh, yes, and I plan to carry and use it because it’s supposed to be fun. :wink: