Simple & reliable 18650 light under $25. Any suggestions?

Sorry, worded that poorly. My convoy c8 pulls 2.8ma on the button, but my L4 is around 2.6 iirc (posted actual number somewhere… I’ll look it up). Despite L4 being xml2, copper star, and less resistance issues my L4 is not as bright as my convoy or tangsfire c8. I may have just got a slightly weaker than normal L4, idk.

That’s a shame.

What are you planning on using this for?

I plan to use it as a medium-duty EDC light. Nothing special, mainly general lighting tasks that my pocket light couldn’t handle (it gets hot after a short time on max, I use it with a 10440 cell). I don’t plan to pocket-carry it.
Oh, yes, and I plan to carry and use it because it’s supposed to be fun. :wink:

Trouble with a C8 is that it is heavy to carry if you don’t use it a lot. Maybe 200 lumens will do him.

When I want 200 lumens I use my Eiger…

Fasttech offer a lot of option but not XM-L2.
Get the Convoy C8 at Banggood
There is even a thread here talking about that.

Go with any Convoy that you like, I’d rather get a Convoy S2 or S6, at banggood again they have the 2 group driver (and firmware can be flashed but it’s another story), XM-L2 T6-4C (great tint). They’re still too big to be carried in a pocket (get the Tank007 E09 for that) but it’s great in a coat pocket. And the form factor is closer than your ultrafire that you wanted first.

Getting for a 8*7135 driver will be bright on high but it will get hot too, runtime on high is not an issue as it will be hot before you get low voltage warning.
But medium at 33 or 40% will be bright enough.

I don’t think you need much throw - C8 is a great format but I don’t think it’s what you need.

Here’s my M1 next to a Zebralight SC600 Mk2 L2 and a Olight S10 L2 -

Unless I had a need for a lot of throw or long runtimes, I don’t think I would go any bigger than the M1 for general purpose duties. If you just want a general purpose floody light (which it sounds like you do) then I think one of the tube lights like the S6 is more appropriate. You could also look at the Roche F6, or spend a bit more and get an Olight S20.

…are you sure? LOL!!! :smiley:
Ok, i offered my suggestion, but now go on and further waste your money… :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems to me he also wanted run time.
To justify the weight of a C8, to carry every day for infrequent use, by the cooling needed for its output, it would need to put out more than 1 x XM-L2 is capable of. A suggestion is the Raysoon TD-398, though it also is a bit heavy for its output.

Convoy L4 or Roche F8 would be my choice or a Solarforce L2 for a little more money.

where did you get that L4? if you got it from wallbuys… yes it is weaker than the one that I got from Simon ( aliexpress)
for some reason wallbuys is weaker than the one that I got from Simon… even after both of them mod’ed with the same resistor mod. :~

Yes, I am sure. Thank you for the constructive feedback. :wink:

Thanks, I have finally decided on the M1 T6 4C model.
The only question that remains is whether I should buy the 2100mA or the 2800mA version?
Which do you think is the better choice for a general-purpose light and why?

How many % more brightness does 2800mA offer offer 2100mA?
Is it worth the trade-off in runtime and the fact that it gets hot sooner (how soon exactly)?

Do you feel either of the versions under-powered or overkill for the M1 form factor and the XML T6 LED?

Get the 2800ma and use it on medium when you don’t need full power. Fasttech is sold out of the 2800ma Roche F8 but they have the 2100ma in both sand and black. Have several different tints on the led in black. In my opinion the Roche is a better light than the Convoy, better machining and much better anodizing. In fact, Roche’s anodizing is better than just about anyone’s.

I can only speak for the 2100mA version - the mode spacing is decent enough. I haven’t experienced any problems with heat. I don’t think it’s under powered. I’m not sure I would want a higher low - it’s probably about 70 lumens on mine at the moment. I estimate it’s something like 70/300/700 (comparing to other lights)

Could you estimate a runtime on medium (~300lms)?

no sorry, never tried. Recharge my batteries long before they need it generally.

I believe a reasonable estimate would be 3-4 hours with a panasonic 3400mAh, on medium, and roughly 90min on high (2100mA driver).

Lower modes are 40% and 5% which means 840mA (~320 otf lumens) and 105mA (~50 lumens) to the emitter in 2,1A version. Divide capacity of your cell by 840 and you’ll get estimated maximum runtime on medium mode.

Roche F8 is Convoy M2’s equivalent, not M1’s. It has smaller reflector and older emitter.

OK, it seems I have a shopping list (light, cells, charger).
Let me know what you think. Are these good choices?

Light:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1212405
=> I will get this, for sure.

Cells:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1141104
=> Do these fit the M1 or are they too long?

Charger:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1319800
=> I have read good things about this charger. Is it suitable for the above cells?

Thanks.