Single 18650 XHP50 Driver! Self designed driver, check it out!

I want one of these: NOCT-XM16MCPCB

Anyone with an s2+ host in black :smiley:

I’m in contact with bugsy36 about MP so we’ll see what happens.

Edit: I see now you wanted 16mm

http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xm16-v2-mcpcb-cree-xhp50-j4-1d-led-p-887.html

But you have to be patient with the delivery of this store… takes about 3 weeks at least.

-With the S2+ you have a XML sized reflector. But you can drill it up.
There are already people usingt MT-G2s and XHP-50s in this light.
There was some thread here about it. But can’t find it at the moment.-

edit: not true mixed that up with the XHP-70
XHP-50 should fit.

This driver sounds great!

It would be awesome for those who are tired of small triples and want to make single 18650 lights with MTG2, XHP50 or XHP70, or for those are want something bigger but don’t like using 2 lithium ion cells in series for safety reasons.

To the original poster: After you finish testing your boards and perfect the design, I recommend contacting Richard at Mountain Electronics (RMM on Budget Light Forum). He can probably take care of manufacturing and selling the drivers for you. A lot of people on this forum are looking for this kind of driver and his shop is the best place on the Internet to buy specialty flashlight parts like this.

Great!

How much lumen do you get from an XHP-50 and a XHP-70 @3A?

:wink:

Nice!

I'm in for at least 1 :)

I think $15 would be a good price, but even at $20 you’d probably get quite a few sales. A lot of modders have been waiting for something like this.

I suggest contacting RMM and asking him to build and sell the driver for you. Perhaps you can negotiate a small commission on each sale. It likely wouldn’t be much… you won’t get rich from it. But it would get your driver out to the modding community with hopefully minimal additional work on your part.

I know RMM himself was working on a driver like this last summer. He abandoned the project thinking it didn’t give enough of a benefit over small triples. However, a lot of us modders are still seeking a driver like this.

A lot of members eschew liion in favor of nimh cells and prefer the AA format as well. There are few driver choices for this available and none programmable off the shelf. Stacked boards would be a start and using the at tiny mmu would help with spacing. It’s only a matter of time before integration puts more of the hardware into single package designs(consider the space/weight constraints of interplanetary exploration, they will need flashlights too) or the development of solid state coil replacements(nano fields). But for now we’re stuck with the strengths and weaknesses of current hardware so please do continue.

I mean I could try… haha Give me a sec, I want to see if it is even possible.

Nothing that I saw could pull 1.5 up to 6V, with any current.

I think what people (me too) want for a AA-boost driver is one that drives 3V LEDs with decent current (2amps+) from a 1.2V NiMh-cell.

EDIT: Ok, 2 amps might be a bit much to ask for. 1.5 A would be great, even 1 A would be nice.

I would love some of these as well! For my purposes they could be bigger than 17mm (makes things easier to solder too) as I still love maglite mods. A 2D or 3D nimh light with xhp70 would be awesome!

I am wholeheartedly focusing on the 17mm size, it’s just the magic number, I could always do a nano run of some 20mm or whatever someone decides.

I’m waiting for the current rev in the mail, I’ll populate it and get some current numbers/voltage numbers, I’ll use the OSCOPE too so you can see the waveform.

After I can get it above 1.5A (or hopeful 3A with the FPWM) I’ll work on run times, and start stress testing the circuit, watch thermal blah blah blah. I do still think 3A of current is going to roast this board. I’d love to make dropins with special made thermal packages (epoxy the pcbs, heat sinks etc).

Then i’ll work with a vendor to get them in your hands! Or I’ll run batch orders myself, if we can’t come to an agreement.

SWEET! :party:

Except RMM only sales and ships within USA borders and can’t/won’t ship to Europe (even if he would noone would buy because of high shipping charges)…

I just received my second order from RMM and I'm in Europe. Can't get the parts here and I don't mind the shipping costs (although I hate the import costs). RMM even got a special site for international orders: http://www.international.mtnelectronics.com/

My country is not on the list, I contacted him several months back and got negative feedback…
Edit: found this page ill try to contact him again…

@theomajigga
What are your thoughts about a 17mm boost driver for 3V emitters? It would be very useful for single celled lights with XM/XP emitters. You’d probably sell 5 times more drivers than for 6V emitters.

If you’ve put any though into it, what is the theoretical output in amps for the XM/XP driver? Id hope for 5 or more. :bigsmile:

+1 I want a high current ~3v boost driver that can take up to 3.0v input. I’m also excited about this ~6v boost driver though. Unlike FlashPilot, I think right now this one would actually be the better seller, or at least equal. Thanks theomajigga for working on it, and sharing it with us!

I buy stuff from him, especially if I want the stuff fast (live in Sweden). Not boards as I make my own, but LEDs, cells and other stuff. Never been a problem. Shipping costs are fine, if I want the stuff fast it’s worth it.