Single AA/14500 mini maglite (the Micro mag)

Thanks for that! I ordered a single mode Xm-L2 p60 from amazon to try out on a mini mag i have. If it fits and im competent enough to drill out the head and cell tube with a stepped bit, ill try a 519A or something else. Those will probably take a few weeks to get here from Kaidomain. I dont have access to a machine shop so chopping the battery tube down may not be in the cards right now. Im also not exactly sure how it was done in the first place. I understand kyfishguy cut a length out of the middle in order to keep the threads but how to keep the two pieces together? anyone chime in on this?

This shows how he did it:

It requires opening up the ID of the tail part and cutting down the OD of the threaded (head) part. Then gluing them together.
He talks about replacing the spring too. Maybe the switch linked above would mean you didn’t have to do that. You would just need to contact the seller to find out the current rating of the switch.
I prefer having tail switches on my MiniMags anyway.

The pill in this KD P60 module is not the same as the one used in the Match mod.

With the module used in the Match mod the reflector screws onto the outside of the pill, this module is an updated KD design in which the reflector screws into the inside of the pill.

I’ve not seen one in person, and have yet to do the Match mod (despite having all the bits ready for a few years :smiley: ) but i’d guess this pill is deeper than the original pill, but as the extra depth raises up past the LED and therefore would raise up past any optic used it may still work.

However, i don’t know if there’s any difference in diameter.

Is there anyone with both pills that can compare the two?

I’ve been using Acebeam’s Pokelit AA/14500 and Rider RX here and there with their included 14500’s. They use a Nichia 219F. I wanted the copper Pokelit for it’s 100 lumen mode but never bought it. That version uses a Nichia 519A.

I recently replaced ther internals in an older LF E-series head with a Nichia 219C and Q-lite driver and it seems to work fine with the Acebeam 14500 in a Malkoff AA body. I also often swap that setup to run the Bodyguard V2 and MCD E2HT, although I don’t use those heads more sparingly (they are not used as task lights).

I guess I should also mention that Malkoff offers a VME head for P90 drop-ins that fits his AA body, but at that point it’s only a hair smaller than the 2xCR123/16500 SF body and would be much larger than a custom Maglite 1xAA.