Single AAA Gifts

Yes please do i hope we can get any insight in to if is at all possible to non destructively get these open, and if it is not, maybe it is possible to buy or cut a small flashlight lens to fit, if we have to go trough the lens to get in and poke the driver out.

Hi,

I’ve started a thread specifically for the Hugsby XP-2 (and possibly XP-1) disassembly (and possibly, mod):

I got the driver out now, relatively un-damaged (had to cut-the solder joints), but haven’t been able to figure out how to take the head completely apart yet.

My pics are in that other thread.

Vinh Nguyen is modding these. If you have the coin, it’s $85 for a 1200 lumen OMFG! experience.

It’s about the size of a key LOL.

I know, but i want to make my own OMFG light and be able to say i bought the light, stripped it, and made it from the ground up including bought every part to make the driver, soldered the driver, programmed the driver to the exact modes spec i wanted, sanded a copper dtp mcpcb to fit and selected the perfect hue for the XP-L, so it is actually useful as a nice edc besides the maximum output.

And his has only a single mode, i thought of buying the E05SSvn before i realized how much fun building and modding them myself could be :slight_smile:
I am still somewhat of a fan though, but most of his creation are just to rich for my blood.

And the best thing…… when i get tired of i can rebuild it like nothing because i will know the ins and out of it because it is my own creation J)

I actually have this light in stock form. But if I was to have it modded, I would rather have a usable 150-200 lumens for a significant amount of time than 1200 lumens for ten seconds.

Update on the Jexree Mini mod

just ordered two for $4.78 each shipped here, can use paypal unlike on aliexpress:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9cm-Mini-CREE-LED-Flashlight-AAA-Pocket-Torch-120LM-1-Switch-Mode-White-Light-/171550801015?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27f1397c77

Got my little hugsby today and i have to say it’s an impressive little light.

Throws out a good beam, nice tint and is easy on the eye, almost seems a shame to have it as an edc light.

If you’re in the US you can now get the XP-1 for a mere $3.83. Total Bargain if you ask me. Doesn’t ship to UK though. RATS! :frowning:

lancman, just want to point out that that’s the same item as I’ve referenced, shipping is $.95 so total is $4.78

Ahh, sorry, the postage doesn’t show up for me, just the annoying ‘Does not ship to UK’…. :frowning:

Just a reminder re. the XP-1 (the 1 x AAA one) that it apparently doesn’t like 10440s. I haven’t tried it (I don’t have any buttontop 10440s) but I think that someone tried that and killed one or more of the XP-1s.

For appearance and feel, I think it is hard to match the Smiling Shark SS-5039, Banggood, under $4. Unmodified, they aren’t as bright as some people might like and the tint is cool. The difficulty modifying them is that the pill and reflector are plastic and don’t transmit or even withstand a lot of heat.
On the other hand Black Cats have very nice brightness and throw, but the shape is a simple cylinder and the finish is mediocre.
The reflector from a Black Cat fits in a 5039, but I haven’t tried the pill in one yet. I make the pills from copper pipe.

Thrunite tis is a great aaa gift light if you can get it for $7.

So i ordered two hugsby xp-1 from an ebay seller. Just received the lights today, and i have to say they are well made for the money, just had a question for anyone that has one.

When the light is on and close to an object, like a wall or the floor, there seems to be a purple-ish tint ring around the beam. the very outer layer. Hopefully im explaining that right. Maybe this is normal? AR lens perhaps?

[Thrunite tis is a great aaa gift light if you can get it for $7.]

I guess they were available for that in 2013. :bigsmile:
For now I think the Hugsby is the best choice for a well made inexpensive light to give on the “spur of the moment.”

Jerry

I got the pupleish ring on my also, it is the reflector that does it.

I managed to get the head apart finally, i will do a more extensive write up on this when i figure out how to publish pictures online, but i just tested and if i take out the AR glass the purple is still there and maybe a tiny bit worse even.

If i run it as a mule without the glass and reflector part, the beam look rather bluewhite in the center and slightly greenishwhite on the outside.

I also tested the reflector in my jexree mini mod with the XP-L with 3D
hue, and it was to large for the jexree mini and even the lovely hue of 3D neutral white with a slight hint of rose hue got an ugly pupleish outer ring on it so it is the reflectors fault.

well good to know.

Thank you for checking on yours. I guess its not a huge deal.

If it was easy to fix i might think about it, but for the price im happy with the light. When looking at something a few feet away you dont really notice it.

received my two XP-1s, they are def nice for the price. Compared to the S1 clone, I think I like these better; has lanyard hole, non-sliding clip, can tail stand. S1 is fancier SS looking, thinner and shorter. I need to order more XP-1s.

What is a comparable AA light? I gave away all my SK68 clones, need something to make use of all the AA Eneloops I’ve accumulated.

Nothing has bumped the SK68 clone off the top of the heap in low cost AA 14500 lights.