Sipik SK68 vs Citipower G7

Hey, welcome to BLF, AAx3! I like your little FrankenSipiks. And you will like the Mini Mag Pro+ when you get it.

Short ugly

I'm with Gcbryan ...I don't like either ... the design on both is a major reason I don't like them ...Someone please talk about how bad the tail is on the sipik ...same reason I didn't like the Akoray It's a pain to have to dig the tip of your finger in just to change modes or click on

Interesting. First thing I did was remove the clip. The Sipik clone is just slightly brighter (both on TF 14500). G7 has three working modes, but the low is really dim and I have no use for the strobe. Noticeably dimmer on an eneloop. Nice finish, no nicks, focus ring works just fine. Nothing to get excited about for $8, like the Sipik better.

AAx3, okay, I’ll bite. What are you using as extenders for the SK68? Were those setups used in real life? And, I take it that in the last picture, the flashlights aren’t actually screwed together, just sat up against one another to demonstrate an idea?
I think I read a reference once of people “doubling” SK68’s, but I did not understand how. I don’t see how the front end could drill into the another’s rear.

^ I ordered those extension tubes before any sk68s, and was fully intending to use them, hoping they'd fit both the G7 and sk68. They don't fit the G7, but fit both sk68 perfectly in 4 different configurations, you can even make it 4xAA (not advisable with stock driver). I don't have a luxmeter nor 14500, so visually speaking, the sk68 on NiMH 1AA, 2AA, and 3AA all looks like the same approximate brightness, so the boost driver is doing its job well. The G7 however, is a bit dimmer than both my working 1-mode 1AA sipiks, so even though the G7 is the one that could have benefited from the extension tubes, it doesn't fit. Last picture is just for fun, as the 2xSipiks is long enough for 2.5xAA. Saw the pictures of the extension tubes in the other sipik threads, here are the links again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220894394485 $3.68 Ultrafire C3 clone,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250638302599 $2.89 “Police”

Just seeing this thread. I got a SK68, and been running it with a single AAA. Today, my generic 14500 came. I threw one of those boys in the SK68, the thing threw a strong beam, stronger than the AAA.. I was blasting a tree a full block away. You all say this G7 is better. Than I have to get one on General Principle!! Wink

Will try to snag one under $8.. Wink

Just when I thought it was safe to jump in the water!! We know what the SK68 will do..

Now I am confused...

@ cehowardGS:

"Just when I thought it was safe to jump in the water!! We know what the SK68 will do..
Now I am confused..."

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nf-x8455-flood-to-throw-zooming-cree-q3-wc-3-mode-160-lumen-led-flashlight-w-clip-1xaa-1x14500-90381

IMO the G7 definitely isn't "better" than a Sipik clone, but as long as you don't expect it to be, for $9 shipped I don't think you can really go wrong. Just keep in mind JohhnyMac's advice re the lack of heat-sinking when running it on high.

I have one of these lights and I don't regret the purchase. It's bright, no probs on li-ion, useful low mode, reliable so far. On the other hand, I've no plans to buy another one.

+1

Was my point exactly. For the same price (or lower than) as sipik, you cannot go wrong with G7. If you don't like it, simply give it away to a non flashaholic as a gift. They will be ecstatic. :)

I am crazy about my SK68. Also, it pushed up the fun when I fed it a 14500 too!! Wink. Now, when everybody talks about something better are they considering the price of SK68 compared to the something else?

I paid $6.50 for my SK68 shipped. Can this other light matched that price? If not, I am banging me another SK68, trying to find the 3 mode job too..

As of now, I am a full blown addict!!!

I pulled the trigger...Had a winning $7.05 bid on the G7. It will replace my sk-68 which I have away as gift. It will make the PERFECT car flashlight with STROBE and a low mode....

Congrats!! Smile

I have owned only a few saiks some of them seem to be poorly made like the small suns …i don’t know if this is because there are clones made of an origional or if a factory like tank or romisen makes multiple grades of flashlights like small sun or sipik or saik … one reason is because I’ve seen sipiks come in tank boxes . I would have said the saik Sa-9 is a clone or even a fake …maybe saik never made a sa-9. you see that with romisens too . i think rom . saik and mxdl are the same company with multiple companies cloning them too and dumping them … mostly on e-bay <<<<boaz’s hypothosis

Sadly even dealers don't care and dino ,manafont and others sell clones unknowingly ,knowingly or not caring since it's just about price and sales ..at one point cqg ric was selling fake tiablos and someone from blf asked him point blank ...again and again if they were fakes ... he's smart enough i'm assuming to just ... not answer ..again it's about price //im'm sure I've seen lights that were half real / half fake .. head was real .. the guts and everything south of it were much much worse

I have had about 8 different zoom lights before ever buying the sipik 68 ..maybe that's why i wasn't impressed that much ..plus like I said I never really liked the design of the original 75$ nitecore either .I'm just wondering why people (noobs ) would buy multiples of one light instead of trying one of many other lights that look attractive to them .tank has two really nice ones , so does romisen ,edi-t has about 10 much better ones so does led lenser ..

Without a doubt the flood to throw light delives a whollop as far as bang for your buck and noobs and non-flasaholics become addicts when they play with flood to throw lights

Updated original post with info about G7's potential flicker and added a new thought to my "Bottom line".

First of all sorry for digging an ancient thread. But I thought that it’s better this way than creating a new thread about ancient flashlight.

I own a NF-X8455 (G7 in this thread) since 2011. Got it really cheap from Focal Price then. No complaints about functionality because it was only used for occasional home tasks and because of the little money paid for it. It does have problem with zoom when it only emits very weak light on one or two zoom positions.
Long story short now I have another inexpensive UltraFire 18650 light on the way. So I thought why not kill some time and learn something new by modding the NF-X8455. I don’t really know what I can/want do with it :slight_smile: But reading some comments on this thread made me doubt if this flashlight is “moddable” because of it’s construction. Is this correct?

As much as I lke the light, I have had a couple or three lately that are almost impossible to move the focus ring. I have two in front of me and both are silver UltraOK. I have to have some cushioning over the ring to prevent damaging my hand. I have not found a black one that has that problem.

Jerry

the original poster’s review pretty much covered all the good and bad points of the G7.

I don’t own a G7, but I do own a similar light. I would not use it over a Sipik 68 due to the problems he noted:

• Size: rotary ring flashlights are larger than the simpler push-pull lights - for an EDC light size is very important.
  • Non-existent heatsinking on the rotary light due to moving pill - An SK68 type light can be hotrodded for much more power. With these rotary lights you’re pretty much stuck with stock output.
  • Lack of reliability caused by moving driver wires - constant movement of the driver wires every time the zoom is cycled is just asking for something to break. This isn’t an issue for an SK68.

A couple other points:

• It’s possible to mod a push-pull zoom for much wider flood. The goal is to allow the bottom of the lens to retract closer to the top of the LED. This can be done by filing off parts of the head and/or body, and changing how deep the pill sits in the body tube with aluminum strips. I doubt a rotary could be modded in this manner. You’d need additional threads inside the head to allow the pill to rise closer to the lens.
  • Speed and noise: a push-pull zoom is very fast and easy to cycle one-handed. A rotary zoom often makes a clicking sound and is much slower to cycle.

I see. It’s better to forget this idea about using it for modding. Too much effort (and questionable result) for such cheap light :slight_smile: