SK68 clone $3.69 (FordEx Group 300lm)

For my own use, I use LiFePo batteries; they work just as well in these lights, and they are cheap and available locally at WalMart and Home Depot…they are in with the solar landscaping lights.

But, you’d need a charger that can charge the LiFePo battery, right? Do the “normal” Li-ion chargers like the Intellichargers, etc. charge LiFePo? Sorry for possibly stupid question, but I don’t have any of those (yet).

Plus, I think the LiFePo batteries are slight lower voltage (3.2v vs. 3.6-3.7?)? Does that have any impact on the light performance/brightness?

Yes, that’s all true ohaya.

About charging, it depends on how smart your charger is. Some newer chargers have a LiFePo mode.

If a Li-On charger doesn’t have a LiFePo mode, it will charge LiFePo too, but you’d have to monitor the output voltage manually with a meter, and take the cells out before the Li-On cycle is over. I take them off current when the voltage reaches about 3.8v…the cells will be fully charged to around 3.6v at that point. I don’t charge my Li-On cells above 4.0v anyway, so it’s pretty much the same deal.

If you use Li-On you have to be careful on the other end so as not to over-discharge them, as these lights don’t have a low voltage cutoff….you’ll need a meter for that anyway.

As to brightness, a Li-On is rated at 3.6v constant, LiFePo at 3.3v…. Whether 3/10 of a volt makes any difference or not in these lights would have to be tested to find out, but we’re talking about a $5 flashlight, and so much potential light is lost with no reflector in these lights anyway, I don’t see where half a volt makes any big difference in what anyone might want to use them for.

I used a Nitecore 14500 in my sk68 today at work for the first time. Makes a big difference to light output, only thing is it cut out before the end of my shift. If only you got 1000mAh 14500s it would probably last.

From Amazon…

Items Ordered Price
6 of: FordEx Group 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp [Tools & Home Improvement]
Condition: New
Sold by: ebuyedget (seller profile)
$1.15

Items Subtotal: $6.90
Shipping & Handling: $2.99
——-
Total before tax: $9.89
Sales Tax: $0.00
——-
Total for This Shipment: $9.89

Arrived today (9days!) - excellent machining and looks like Q5 emitters. :slight_smile:

Seller has increased price & shipping now so deal is dead - should’ve ordered a dozen!

-PG

damn $2.99 shipping for all?, what a deal. Congrats on a killer score!

Yeah I bought one only because it was $3.50 or so. When I started it up, I was actually quit impressed with the output. Not really liking the zoom focus because I can see the square led itself. But I like the size and high/low mode and a strobe. I will be buying a few more soon.

I’m more curious about the 18650/3AAA zoomie in the ‘also bought’ section.

http://www.amazon.com/1600LM-Lumen-Zoomable-Flashlight-Torch/dp/B008MROLX0/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

Now, those beamshots have to be photoshop and the reviews all say it’s a POS, but if the heat sinking is good I want to buy one as a mod host. Anyone ever buy one? It looks rather similar to this one that FastTech sells.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10003205/1239101-lx-t6-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-680lm-zooming-white-led-

There is one almost exactly the same that I have, and same price range, but the tube is slightly bigger, so it can accommodate 26650/18650/3xAAA, I’d find that one if you are interested in this light. Output isn’t the best, but its very reasonable for a cheap zoomie, zoom is smooth, and 26650 runtime is very nice.

@ B42, I saw that one and I would buy it if it didn’t come with the battery/charger (just e-waste to have to dispose of). Besides, I found a site that sold 18650/3AAA lights and extra battery cradles separately. I figure one could just carry an extra battery cradle and reload the light when the first runs dry, like a handgun magazine. The Li-ion battery embargo has me thinking of other lights than 18650/26650-power.

I just got delivery on one of these I ordered thorough Amazon and it arrived with the screw hole that holds the screw to hold the clip to the body is stripped and the screw will not stay in the hole. I have contacted Amazon to request a return. Thanks, Ed.

I know it should be obvious, but does anyone know how to open the 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp so I can put a battery in it? Thanks so much, Ed.

If it’s the one in this thread just unscrew the tailcap. It’s got the orange clicky switch in it. The part that unscrews is about half a centimeter wide, directly behind screws in the little side clip.

The tail has the male threads, body the female. Probably what threw you off.

Thanks unknown and Gj, that did it. Ed

It arrived broken and the company only wants to give me $1, here is what they wrote when I asked for a refund, can you believe how they are trying to cheat me:

Order ID 109-8517104-7149062:
1 of FordEx Group 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp [ASIN: B006E0QAFY]

——————- Begin message ——————-

“We apologize for all the troubles caused to you, really sorry for this.

1) We refund you US $1.0 , OK? Because we also suffer loss, we paid the shipping fee and the final value fee.
You can keep it and do not need to return. Besides, the item can still in use.
2) If not agree, we would like to know your solution.

Please don’t be angry before you email us, we hope to solve problem peacefully.

Your understanding would be highly appreciated.
Waiting for your early reply.

Best regards,

I wrote back and said I wanted full refund but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks Ed.

Mine is still weeks away from my house. :frowning:

Slow shipping is the bane of my existence.

I thought the colored ones I got from Banggood were very nice, smooth extension, good brightness, very clear lens compared to others I've seen.

+1. Got the dark green at BG, very good anodizing and build quality. Paid $4.40 at the time.

Alright. Mine FINALLY came in the mail. 49 Days. It came in the usual thin white box, but the seller wrapped it in a few layers of foam.

I got mine off of Tosell888 from this link.

The price went up 20 cents, now at $3.60 (They now show sk68s of a bunch of different colors)

My one and only issue with this light is that they used phillips head screws instead of hex for the clip… they look like junk and they cross threaded the crap out of them.

Anyway, everything else about the light is fantastic. There is about 3mm extra metal on the tailcap which doesn’t seem like much, but makes a huge difference when changing batteries. The zoom is smooth as butter along with the smooth threads even without lube. It head and tailstands with 0 issues (no lens contact or clicky cover contact). Compared to my sipik sk68 and ultrafire sk68 it is slightly less bright, but has a wider spill and 0 artifacts. Single mode. The color is a bit darker than the silver advertised; looks more like a metallic grey and I love it!

If it wasn’t for the odd screw choice it would be easy to consider it a perfect little light. Instead it’s a step down, an Excellent little light. :slight_smile: