Skilhunt defier x0

I picked one of these up recently in the DX 50% OFF sale for $18, Which is better than 50% off as it had already been reduced. Nonetheless the question I have is whether they are a good light or not, I cannot find any reviews, apart from one on CPF for the older model.

It seems to be a very high quality light and looks awesome, at least to me it does.

Are skilhunt not popular here?

Marc.

I ordered one as well after watching these two abuse vids on YouTube including a rifle shot!

I’ve also ordered a battery extension tube from Banggood.

Happy hunting!

Good stuff. I just thought there would be more people picking them up at that price and talking about them. It reminds me of the Olight i6 deal at wallbuys some time ago.

Glad you got one,

Marc

Excellent price, skilhunts are high quality lights.

Is the deal still on?

No, it only lasted 48 hours.

Marc

I grabbed 5 during the sale. Given the price, brand and features, they should be excellent lights.

They still haven’t shipped mine yet. DX take forever.

DX broke my order out into 2 packages. I received one package containing 4 flashlights while the other package is still stuck in transit.

Typical of Skilhunt products, the lights arrived in flawless condition, as did the carrying cases that contain them. These have AR coated lenses and forward clicky tail switch. The UI is unusual. Press to click on. To change modes, loosen the head slightly and the light enters strobe mode, tighten and it goes into high mode. Loosen again and back into strobe mode. Tighten and you are in low mode.

Mode change: Low - Strobe - High - Strobe - Low - Strobe - High - Strobe, etc.

I really like this UI configuration in a tactical light. Similar to the head-twist mode changing of the Olight I6 Paladin, it remembers the last mode entered, and no amount of accidental tail switch clicking can inadvertently change the mode. Construction and finish is a 9 out of 10. The aluminum is thick walled and built like a tank. The Ano is flawless and consistent. Tail cap has perfect square cut threads and can lockout with a quarter turn. Emitter is XM-L2 and probably 1A tint.

I bought the separate extension tube from banggood, but it doesn’t work with this light. The electrical contact surface of the tube is too short to make electrical contact with the tail cap. A strategically placed piece of thick bare wire situated inside the edge of tail cap is a way around the problem, but its not the best solution.

A quick check confirmed that it works with either 2 x 18350 or 1 x 18650. Tail current in high mode on 1 x 18650 is 1.82A. While not driven very hard, it can be used continuously in high mode without becoming so hot that it might burn your hand and overheat the cell. A quick test with the lux meter shows that the light output is the same on either 1 or 2 cells, so the extension tube is something I wouldnt have used anyway.

All in all, an absolute steal for the $18.80 price. I hope many others got in on this great deal.

I got one and it is a superb light. Although it shouldn’t have mode memory and mine doesn’t.

The best bit about this light is the fact that it only pulls 1.8A. I too have an i6 and that is very similar pulling 1.6A. People are obsessed with lights that pull 3A+ but the fact is I have always found the sweet spot is 2A or less especially with an XM L2. The visual difference between 2 and 3 amp is negligible, but as you say no heat problems and no step down, good run time too.

Better than the Olight M22 I received from Gearbest!

Marc

Thanks for reporting about this deal guys, so other can enjoy those prices, you are real sports :expressionless:

Try reading ‘BLF DEALS’. that’s where I read it.

My mistake, the x0 has no mode memory. :wink:

It has been said that the doubling of lumens only yields a 25% increase in apparent brightness to the human eyes. I decided to put this claim to the test on a large scale in my garage. After playing with my 250 watt/25,000 lumen (variable brightness via external potentiometer) LED highbay light while plugged into a kill-o-watt meter (to measure watts), I can definitely attest to the validity of this phenomenon. The sweet spot in apparent brightness vs efficiency for that light is around 75 watts. Cranking it up to max creates a whole lot more heat and eats power without a whole lot more apparent light. Sure, it’ll impress the hell out of my lux meter but not much else. From 125 to 250 watts, observable changes to my eyes yields about 20-25% increase in brightness.

To confound this even further, LED lumen efficiency plummets as power is increased and really suffers as heat increases. So when you read about mods where amps are increased from, say 3 to 5 amps, the bump is noticeable but not astounding.

The BLF Deal Alert Thread (NO DISCUSSIONS OR AFFILIATE LINKS HERE PLEASE)

Post 908

Pity I didn’t see that on time, quality of Skilhunt lights is excellent.

Funny, Me to!

I remember when the olight i6 deal was on at wallbuys and a lot of people were complaining that it only drew 1.6A. The fact is the i6 is still one of my favourite lights and brightest. Super light.

Marc

Mine to. I upgraded my i6 to a XML2-U2 4C and use it quite a bit.

What is usually overlooked in the disappointing brightness perception thing is that while the perception of 2 times the amount of light may only be 1.25 times (it is a bit better than that, I think, more like 1.5), you also see sharper: contraction of the pupils (=smaller diaphragm) compensate for all sorts of eye lens abberations. I'm already at an age that that makes a huge difference!