Skyray 9xled with 6x18650?

Hi everyone, I saw this light on aliexpress recently and it looks kinda interesting. The 6 18650 should be able to put out a fair bit of current for the 9 L2 leds. I’m guessing 3 sets of 3 led in series and batteries as 3 parallel sets of 2? Has anyone done a teardown or test on it?

This is the cheapest one I could find (know nothing of this seller however):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Waterproof-100m-18000Lm-9x-CREE-XM-L2-LED-SCUBA-Diving-Flashlight-Led-Torch-Lamp-6x1/32625128684.html

Man o man check out the driver bay, whats all the solder about? Looks like some kind of pressed in ring and the the driver is soldered to it??? :open_mouth: Looks to be a Rube Goldberg design!!! :smiley:

Welcome to BLF
Gonna check it out now!

Got to love the Mitsubishi logo on the bottom :person_facepalming:

Cheers David

Edit, ooops welcome to BLF :blush:

Looks pretty cool, except for the magnetic ring. So far, we don’t seem to have any good mod solutions for magnetic ring drivers.

Do you mean the rotating switch? Does it make dismantling complicated?

Yes. Usually those rotating switches have a magnetic in them and the driver has a series of hall sensors that detect the position of the magnet. Dismantling is usually not complicated. There ususually is a ball and spring you have to be careful not to let fly away. The hard part is modifying the driver circuitry and firmware.

Well I’ve decided to see what it’s like and have one on its way from China. Will post impressions when it arrives.

^
Cool. It does look like a pretty neat light. Please keep us updated. I don’t think anyone here has reported anything about that light yet.

Was just about to post this! lol

Hello,
I bought one lights specifically for diving. I haven’t used it for a dive, but I can say it’s very very bright, well constructed. The 6 batteries are set up 2 in parallel 3 configuration. It is rather heavy, out of water, diving with it shouldn’t be issue. I haven’t and probably won’t dismantle it to check out led configuration. For the price I do recommend buying this torch, compared to other more expensive dive torches it more than holds its on.

Mine arrived today and I’m also planning on using it for diving. It certainly is very bright. I don’t have any reliable way of measuring output but when I compare it side by side with my solarstorm Dx4 the spot is a little bigger and quite a lot brighter. It also has a brighter flood around it.

The low setting on this torch seems fairly similar (maybe a little dimmer) to the high setting on the dx4, which is apparently around 2300 lumens based on this thread: Solarstorm DX4 dive light - anyone used it?

With the layout of the batteries I can’t do a simple current reading through the endcap and for fear of affecting watertightness am not keen to dismantle the head and see what’s inside.

Welcome to BLF

And well tell us more about it and please dunk it in water for preliminary testing :smiley:

Thanks for the update snowblindednz. Didn’t realize you planned to use it for diving. The magnetic control ring is a plus for that purpose. Great to hear that it sounds like a nice light. I’m curious. Does the emitter in the large center reflector look different that the emitters in the surrounding small reflectors?

The LEDs all look identical to me, just a larger reflector in the middle. Noticed on aliexpress that there are some similar torches that have the same battery set up, but with 14 leds.