Skyray King (3xXML, 4x18650 Fatty)

Price drop again, now it's USD69 at LightMalls: http://www.lightmalls.com/sky-ray-king-desert-yellow-3xcree-xm-l-t6-2000...

WHAT?? The King should totally SMOKE the tk35. Are you sure you are compensating for throw-flood differences? Remember, sometimes the naked eye is a terrible way to measure brightness. Experiment with it more and you may start seeing huge differences. Keep testing it out.

If you don't have a lux meter, I find that the best way to compare brightness is by taking some beamshots with a camera on fixed exposure settings. Our eyes tend to adjust to the increased brightness and it can be very deceiving.

Also, the King should be floodier, so the massive side spill lumens should be considered as well.

+1 It took me a long time to learn that. Many a time have I taken back "but this doesn't look that bright" statements I made. lol

Ceiling bounce it, double (++) Lumens is a noticeable difference.

Comparing spot intensities may not favor the big gold beast.

The FandyFire UV-S5 on DX looks identical, $68:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fandyfire-uv-s5-xm-l-t6-3-mode-3000lm-3-led-white-flashlight-w-strap-yellow-4-x-18650-120679

Awww... I never got a holster, boo-hoo!

I did order a CW version also... just got it. It's a blowtorch, all right.

Despite my bad wrists and tennis elbow, I'm really liking these short, fat lights.

I'm gonna put up the question again: Has anyone tried IMR's in this light?

Now watch 'em come out with a black one... this "thing of ours" never stops, does it??

Rich

Hi Dorpmuller, Glad to hear you like the KING. I don't think anybody has tried IMR's yet. Assuming you have some, I'd try 2 of them first and see what happens. If all is okay, toss a 3rd one in there and so on. I'd try it, but I don't own any IMR's yet. Let us know how it affect brightness at all.

nah, just throw 4 full charge AW imr's in there, turn it on high and wait, im sure it will be fine!

ill just be over here.

I agree with dorpmuller - I wonder what it's look like in gloss black. Time to head to Halfords (car parts and bicycles chain in the UK) and get a couple of rattle cans of paint to try it out. I've found that paint sticks to just about everything and is pretty tough to boot. We'll see.

Of course it’ll be fine, it’s not a direct drive light :slight_smile:

I'm skeptical... the last time I tried IMR's in a Skyray, I burned up the driver.

Has anyone actually tried it?

I've got 8 brand new AW IMR's that I bought directly from AW; they don't work in my Nitecore TM11's (not long enough) I'll give them a try in my Kings when they arrive. I don't expect any problems since the Kings are regulated. I just got to wait for that slow boat to arrive here :)

I hope they come out with a gun metal version.

Grey blue also looks nice...

i was mostly just kidding. figured the worst thing that would happen, it would be very bright,

very briefly, then POOF!

dark.

Those don't look anything like a KING.............Wrong thread perhaps??

Here's what the site says:

To deliver all orders within 7 working days is a bald statement and sound fishy. Anybody used the site?

Nah...just an example of the grey-blue ano Ric has used on other lights.

For those of you who received the neutral version. How warm is the tint compared to your cw lights?

I got mine today in neutral and in all honesty, my zebralight SC600w and spark headlamp (both neutrals) are much warmer in tint. They make the King look cool white and I am wondering if they sent me the CW version?

Hi Mizjif, if it doesn't have Skyray written on it, you'd have to have the NW version. Also, my switch rattles a little bit too, but you can just barely hear it. I'm sure that's just the way the electronic switches are.