small and rechargeable that holds its charge?

Finding the new Nitecore TINI2 to work very well. The OLED screen shows actual battery voltage and remaining run time in each mode. Also has 2-stage lockout.

Not if it’s inside a flashlight without a physical off switch.
If the circuit was designed well, it can still last years. If not, the battery may be empty in days.

I read several reports that the current generation Rovyvon Aurora lights (specifically the A5x and A8x) will drain their batteries in about a month without any use, which sucks big time in lights as expensive as they are. Can anybody here confirm that?

Is that high standby drain also the case for the A1x or the other models without side LEDs? I assume they are almost identical, so likely yes.

I was considering buying some for my folks, but that’s probably the end of that. Giving a light to somebody that will not work when they need it is worse that not giving a light at all.

I’m gonna suggest a Sofirn C01S for your folks, instead of a more gizmo-like rechargeable light:

https://sofirnlight.myshoplaza.com/products/sofirn-c01s-aaa-flashlight-sst20-4000k-white-led-starts-on-low

This light runs on a normal AAA cell, so you can put in an NiMH rechargeable and recharge as needed. It can also run on a common AAA alkaline cell, with plenty of runtime in low mode (5 lumens) though a lot less in high mode (100 lumens). L92 lithium 1.7 volt cell should also work very well.

It’s cheap ($7.99 at that link) and has a high CRI led, and generally favorable reviews as far as I can tell. I haven’t seen one yet but am probably about to order one. I’ve used a lot of AAA lights over the years and I like the format very much. I don’t see any need for multiple leds or crazy high brightness in an everyday pocket light.

pretty sure trustfire minix will ‘hold its charge’
it is VERY small
works well
flat form factor, not the usual cylindrical thing
usb c charging port
plus either a red or a UV led also!

Oilight i1R2. Pain in the ass to type, but nice little light.

Just used it to head down to the basement without having to turn on a zillion lights. Don’t even recall when was the last I charged it.

Fenix EO5R looks cool. Small and rechargeable.

The Trustfire Minix looks a lot better on paper than the Fenix EO5R.

The Trustfire Minix outputs 460 lumens for 56 minutes.

The Fenix EO5R outputs 150 lumens for 55 minutes.

(The Fenix outputs 400 lumens, but only for a very short time.)

Also, the Trustfire is cheaper than the Fenix.

Another budget option is the Boruit Mini aka the Seeknite S11, but it has a plastic body and I'd rather have a metal body for a flashlight.

EDIT:

These three have easy-to-implement lockout.

If you don't care about that, there are more choices out there.

pretty sure the minix cannot run 56 min on 300lumens[turbo]

Maybe not, but that's what they claim.

It probably steps down also.

it does if temp gets high or volts get low

Nitecore TUBE.
Tiny, cheap, and can be locked out so it won’t turn on and discharge in my pocket.

Not very bright, but it’s always with me where even a single AAA is too cumbersome.
All the Best,
Jeff

Bought the sofirn! Thanks for the tip! Bet it would shine pretty nice with a li-primary, and hold its charge for long!

Congrats! I have one on order too. If your folks don’t use rechargeables, give them some L92 lithium cells with the light and say they will run the high mode better than alkalines will. They can use alkalines if they have though. They will work, they just won’t last as long. Lithiums also have very long storage life (they will still be near full strength after 10 years), work great in ultra cold weather, etc. Rechargeables (Eneloops) are the best choice though, if the light will be used a lot.

Of course not.

Regulation is still impressive. And yes, I have not noticed significant drain.

Ok, LB’s i1R2 is maybe the better choice as it works like the MINI2. It’s slightly bigger, but then the MINIX is surprisingly small for its power and capacity. It’s 300 vs. 80 mAh!

The Minix looks well made but 1) too complicated for non-flashaholics, the 2nd led tells you that already. 2) too easy to activate in your pocket. If it has a lockout mode to prevent this, that confirms the problem.

The only one of those rectangular lights that looks good to me for non-flashaholic users so far (keep in mind I haven’t used any of them irl though) is the Surefire Sidekick, which is somewhat larger than the Minix. It has just one led, not too many modes, larger battery, and its button is hard to activate accidentally.

Yes, the customer would have to read the manual.

I don’t own the Sidekick, but have read many negative reviews about the durability.

Keychain lights used by my family

Astrolux A01 - ok but strobe annoying. Lost one head as it uncrewed and took an Eneloop with it. AAA
Astrolux A02 - crap switch, gave it away AAA
Astrolux K2 - Rovyvon Copy, got one for each family member. Daughter broke the attachment point, all others aOK. UV, blue and red side light. Ramping main, good moonlight.No issues with charge retention so far, internal battery, 6 months old
Rovyvon A5U - Press and hold for turbo or double click for lower then medium high and strobe. K2 UI is better. No issues with charge retention so far, internal battery, 10 months old
Sofirn C01S - Nice light, good LED, surprisingly good output, twistie 2 settings 10 & 100 lumens iirc. AAA
Sofirn SC01 - Small, stainless steel body. 95 CRI SST20 4000K LED, twistie 2 settings 10 & 300 lumens, 10180 recharge in situ with micro-USB

TrustFire Minix in transit so can’t comment on that yet but big thumbs up for Astrolux K2 & Sofirn SC01 - I’ve got at least one of each spare NIB for when a gift is required at short notice.

minix would NOT activate accidentally, it takes too much pressure
imho

Another option
Trustfire mini 3,support both AAA and lithium (1 mode bright)