Small, Bright, Best Beam distance flashlight

Now that I think about it more, I would like to have a decent flood/throw ratio. Like say a good flood at around 600 feet. (I don’t know if I’m being realistic for wanting a small compact flashlight.)

What do you look for in the specs for that type of stuff?

Those two above seem nice. Not concerned with the budget since I’m only getting one for the foreseeable future; at least for now lol.

Also, I really like having a tail switch instead of a side switch, seems more natural. But not a huge deal. Hard to find a tail switch with the specs that I’m looking for.

if your looking for a good combination of flood and throw output in a smaller package you may have to look at the triple-emitter lights, such as a Acebeam X40, Solarstorm Warrior, etc. If you want to keep to a smaller light. Usually to get a good thrower with a good flood capability you have to go with the larger, more expensive lights like a TK75, BTU Shocker, etc.

I meant to say a modded Shocker by Tom-E. its a very different light than the stock one.

As seen here: DST Monster thrower test for the Quad-DST project *UPDATE:* - BEAM SHOTS
The Tom-E modded BTU is very close to the throw output & range as the mighty SR90, but with noticeable more the flood output than the SR.

Ah ok, wasn’t sure if it was a doable request.

Some good suggestions so far though. :smiley:

Look here, we get this question about every 3 days.

I actually saw that thread but it seems scattered on the info I want. I don’t want just a good thrower.
I figured I would specify on what I’m looking for and some vets would probably know some good ones offhand; which is whats happening so far :smiley:

Check fenix or nitecore models,you can find what you want,but it will also flat your wallet

BTU Shocker or Fenix TK75 are the best for flood and throw but they are big lights. Something smaller like a Supbeam X40 or Thrunite TN30 will give lots of flood but not as much throw. For a smaller and cheaper light go for the Solarstorm/Fandyfire Warrior.

This is a well made single 26650/26700 light that has very high output - stock is 98kcd (Tom E’s measurement) and 673 yards:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXTOCH-Mission-M12-Long-Shooting-1-Cell-Flashlight-AR-Lens-Copper-Circuit-Board-Long-Runtime-26700/1836678467.html

Am just getting one this week. Comes with AR lens, copper board and XML2-U2 as requested by BLF members. Looking forward to it.

I definitely like some of those thrulite ones. I’m leaning towards one of them now.

Nitecore has some pretty crazy ones, namely the tiny monster series.

The Maxtoch one above looks pretty nice. But why is it so cheap? And would that be good for an ok flood distance? I’m not sure what to look for in the specs for that.

Maxtoch make high performance low to med price lights. Its their market position. Quality is very good. You do not have to pay heaps to get quality and performance.

Plenty of reviews on maxtoch lights on this site - all good.

Mision M12 combines good flood (XML2-U2) with long distance central hotspot.

x21r2, $600.

wow lol. Now that may be a bit too pricey =P

So far I’m leaning towards that Maxtoch or ThruNite TN30 or maybe TN35 but I don’t like the look of the 35 as much.

That's funny - complaints I've seen on the M12 was it's too pricey Smile. It's an excellent compact single emitter throw, and can use 5000+ mAh rated cells (26650's). It's not like the more expensive multi-emitter lights, with side electronic switch's, it's a simpler tail switch. The simplicity of it keeps the price down, but the quality of the components is up there with the pricier lights.

In this form factor, TN31 will out-throw SR52, but TN31 is larger.

Some people have gotten SR52 for $80, but MSRP is $120 while Thrunite is selling the TN31 for $100 right now.

Getting throw in small package is tricky—it usually requires a wide reflector
( even in short, single cell lights)
Opinions are as varied as forum members.
I’d say you need a baseline light to start with, and decide IF you need more
flood OR more throw OR smaller size than that light.
Like buying a small motorcycle before working up to a 750 or 1000cc track bike.

For a well regarded entry level flooder/thrower that isn’t too huge or expensive—
I’d recommend the HD2010. It’s about $30 and very capable
See how it works for your needs before buying a $100 light

Anyone know why the TN31 is less expensive than the T30?

It’s marked down on closeout, normally $180.

Are there any videos on that Maxtoch M12? I can’t seem to find any.