Small/EDC lights should start in low/moon! Large lights in high/turbo!

Well that’s my opinion atleast, and I see no reson to have it any other way! :stuck_out_tongue:

When I turn on my small edc pocket light, I want it to start on low where it is mostly used. Small cells = short run times. So naturally and logically they should start in their lowest mode, instead of having to cycle through brighter levels to get there
I like a twisty ‘switch’ so that there’s no chance of the light being turned on in my pocket by accident

Now a larger flooder or throw/spot light should always start at its highest setting(and they generally do) since that’s where it’ll probably be used the most, and have a FORWARD clicky…especially in throwers,IMO, where they are used in short bursts. I know a fwd switch kinda sucks for mode changing, but in a large flooder or thrower there should be minimal need for multi modes….maybe a mid/low, and switching to those when needed is not thy much of a PITA.

What do u guys think???

Or they could have memory mode and start in your preferred mode every time.

I actually find the lows on nearly all of my lights useless because they are too low.

Moon mode has been the most unused mode for me. Its useless for anything other than close up night time inspection after Ive acquired my full night vision. My 1st gen ITP A3 EOS is my favorite EDC because the modes are M/L/H.

A light without memory that starts off to bright is easy enough to cover up and click through to moon mode.

I love how my iTP A3 always starts at low, since I use it mostly for close range, usually at night. It would drive me crazy to have to (almost) always cover it to avoid being blinded by the output of the high mode.
I think it really depends on the user, and I wish all lights would be programmable to at least the order of modes, if not to brightness and strobe speeds.

I think ramping :stuck_out_tongue:

Custom 105c driver.

Just finished a walk downtown with my BLF Mini clipped to the dogs collar. I’ve alway thought the low on this light was not low enough and this was confirmed (for me at least). I doubt if there will ever be a consensus on this but I am glad that the options are available to choose from for each of us. The arguments for each make sense but only apply to those who agree with them. Each to his own. :wink:

The low on edc lights is a pretty personal thing depending on your use, but when you drag the big guns out I want that sucker lighting up half the neighborhood the second I turn it on!

Compared to the flashlights of yore, everything I now own is a big gun but I do see your point.

Different horses for different courses...

My current bedside fave is a Thrunite Neutron 2C. It has an available firefly low, but tighten the head and POW! - max output immediately.

I think the issue of beam shape/optics should be part of the discussion as well. I like my smaller EDC to have a very floody output; there is no need for a light that will be used primarily for up-close illumination to have a searing hotspot and dim corona/spill.

Sorry ’bout that hon, can’t seem to find low mode. 0:)

I love the Jetbeam’s IBS interface where you could set 3 modes at whatever brightness you wanted or even strobe or SOS. Wish they made a comercially available one that could go up to 4A.

Taskled flex drivers can do multiple adjustable modes but not in the 17mm format.

Chunk one of Dr Jones’s drivers in there and set it up for whatever floats your boat…

I prefer either mode memory to start on most frequently used mode or low.

On a big light, however, Id prefer to have it HI-MED-LOW.

Excellent points. My bedside light is this Review: DIY UltraFire 1xAA Flashlight with Clip Host Kit. The only difference is I used the 3A KD driver with 50mA low. Set so low comes on first it’s the perfect amount of light for roaming around at night without waking the wife. A couple more taps and I have the XM-L T6 3C running at 3 amps. When inside the house it’s like flipping on the light switch. Really floody. The little reflector doesn’t throw much though.