Small Sun: ZY-T11: Great concept, bad implementation

Hi all,

I just received the ZY-T11 and at first glance, it looked pretty cool.

Electronic switch, solid construction, and even a DC charging port. Not bad…

But as soon as I popped a 18650 in, my smile turned upside down when I realized that there was a low frequency PWM even at the high mode. As I clicked through the modes (hi-med-low-strobe-SOS) I realized that the only mode that didn’t have PWM was the strobe mode. Epic fail.

I don’t think there is any decent thermal management as well, as the XM-L PCB was dangling around when I took out the plastic reflector.

I’ll probably replace the driver once I get access to it… >)

Here are some quick photos:

My all Small Sun flashlights come with thermal grease.

Check it and use thermal adhesive instead.

i had both of them smallsun T11 and T29… nice light to carry around in your pocket :slight_smile:
T11 is slightly brighter than T29

thanks for the heads up. but is it bright though for the size?

Electronic switch?

This light is just begging for a DrJones driver to be installed! :bigsmile:

it is bright enough for it’s size… as long you’re not shining anything more than 50’

Yup, it’s definitely bright for its size.

In terms of lumens, I think it outperforms an XM-L HD2011 with a 2.8A linear driver installed.

I’ll need to check on the charging port, as I’m very suspicious of the charging algorithm and don’t want my light to turn into a pipe bomb. I’m not quite sure of the input voltage as well.

Edit: It doesn’t have a physical switch, so I need to click through all the five modes to turn it off. If I can take the driver out, maybe Dr. Jones can help me. :slight_smile:

brighter than a modded hd2011? thats brighter than i would have imagined.
t11 isnt too bad then. it outthrows the hd2011 though right? as im assuming its not as floody as the hd2011

omg, not again! why they just don’t use the same switch as in the tailcap???

Yup, it has a bigger head with a SMO reflector so it has a brighter and clearer hotspot.
The HD2011 has a OP reflector that produces a very floody beam.

Maybe I’ll add a clicky tailcap as a mod… Perhaps other lights have a clicky switch with the same diameter?

Wouldn’t it be just a waste of time turning it another tailcap clicky as if there wasn’t enough of these already? All I want is compact budget light with permanent side switch. I have some, but they are bulky and long since the switch is between head and battery compartment.

Yeah, it might get bulky as you said. With the current driver, it would also be redundant to turn the physical clicky on, and then press the electronic switch to turn it on. With a custom driver, I might be able to do something creative. But I guess it’s not worth it. :slight_smile:

There was a thread about modding this one, but I can’t find it.

The ZY-T29 is very similar: SmallSun ZY-T29 (electronic side-switch): First impressions

Just got one of these too. Mine too also has PWM on all of the modes. The head starts to heat up after a minute. Glass lens, plastic reflector, oh and you have to click through all 5 modes to turn it off- which sucks. I thought next mode was bad. I did find you can do a quick half twist of the tail cap and it turns off- which is actually quicker than scrolling through all modes until off.

Oh and why do they send you a rechargeable light without a plug? I probably wouldn’t use it anyway, but since the light comes with no instructions and there’s no power specification stamped on the light, there’s no way anyone will ever use it.

The good? It’s well made enough and the light isn’t blue. It’s just about the perfect EDC size too. And it’s brighter than all my other sub $10 18650 cheapos. I’d guess it’s a good glovebox or tacklebox light- something you only use occasionally (because of the annoying mode click-through).