Smallest Aspheric & LED throw combo?

Hi all,

I have done a fair bit of looking over the last few days, so if this information already exists I apologize as I have genuinely missed it

Anyway, as the title suggests I am on the lookout for the smallest possible aspheric + led combo. I have ordered some of these 13mm aspherics and an XP-E2 to experiment with. I'm not holing out much hope for this combo working very well, but it's worth a try. I just wan't a relatively tight beam with more throw than a similar sized LED + reflector combo.

Does anyone know of some decently small and reasonably well performing combinations? I don't have a target size, but less than 20mm in diameter is ideal.

Thanks,

- Matt

I think the smallest I’ve seen is ma_sha’s led lenser K3 nano thrower. But I feel like somebody did a mag solitaire too.

The popular SK68s are bigger than your target.

This one might be along the lines of what you are looking for . Just not solitaire size.

?page=2#comment-476088

You can scroll back to the pisc with the gold and black zoomies, or ask Werner to confirm.

I mod'ed one of these, and boy, can it throw: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10001837/1133700-ultrafire-zb-006-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-345-lumen-led. It's probably still available under different names elsewhere. It's small and lightweight for an 18650 light, but probably not as small as what you want. It's featured here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/20642, does 48 kcd.

Hmm, seems my automatic notifications have gone belly up since the server migration. I'm sure this discussed somewhere already lol.

Thanks for the links. I have seen the K3 nano thrower but just need to get some specs on the lens. I've got a few parts at home so I'm going to experiment with a home made Wavien collar, a collimating lens, and a final focusing lens. I have an XPE2 and XPG2 emitter I can run some tests on. I'm trying to avoid dedoming as well.

Really depends on how much effort I want to put into this!

I took a Ultrafire BJ08A which can use either a single AA or a single 14650. It has a XRE in it.

The light is a cylinder so it’s the size of a lipstick tube roughly. I replaced the reflector with a 19 mm (as I recall) aspheric lens.

That’s a cheap and easy way to get a small focused light. If you can make the light direct drive I’m sure it would throw even further (using 14650)

No light that size is going to be a tremendous thrower but it’s not bad for the size.

I bought the light at T-mart so the shipping was fast. I use it when hiking with a headlamp when I want a little more throw but when weight is an issue and I don’t want to carry a bigger light.

Otherwise I just use a 18650 with an aspheric I took out of a zoomie light.

I don’t like the rings in zoom lights so this was my solution.

Here was my write-up for the first light mentioned:

This was my write-up for the second light mentioned: