SMD 3528 LED Light strip, 15.6" rl, $4.28 shipped cool or Warm White

I really like LED strips, I’ve gotten some “side-emitter” in the past and am ordering some for “under-cabinet” lighting.

Cool White link

Warm White Link

I was looking at these from your post in another thread. How bright are these? How are you powering them? (12v Wall wart?) I'm considering doing something with these under kitchen cabinets, but wonder if they will be enough light and if it's worth the hassle to wire them up to power them. Any pics of them in use? (And I suppose I would want the waterproof variety which seem to be about $14 for 5m strips.

Thanks,
Garry

Maybe not… The Tao of Chinese LED Strip Lights

These look like the same ones as FastTech at $10. Site says free shipping too

I would like to see also how these are wired up and what power supply used.

Thanks for the link TP. Are these "non-waterproof" ones still ok mounted where they may get splashed?

-Garry

Hi, I’ve tried 3528 and 5050 strips, not yet 5630 or 5730’s. Currently using about 2,5 meters of 5050 14,4w/m strip, 60 LEDs per meter under my kitchen cabinets. Powered by standard 12v PC adapter and I’m using a remote controlled dimmer too, when these strips are new they put out a good amount of light and mine is running at 40 or 60% most of the time. My first strip (identical to the one sitting there now) was the waterproof type and after maybe eight months the light output was poor, I saw when putting the new one up that the old strip running at 100% was much dimmer than the new one at 40%, the tint had become quite yellowish too. Warm in a bad way :slight_smile:

I think the epoxy stuff kill the LEDs because of bad cooling but haven’t tried a non waterproof one yet. I saw on my first strip that most of the yellowish and dim LEDs was closest to where the power was connected, this time I connected both ends to 12v but I’m not sure it does any good on such a short strip.

About 3528 vs 5050, in my opinion 3528 LED strips may be too weak in a kitchen, I’d rather buy 5050 strips and dim them if needed.

EDIT: Did a Ebay search and the dimmer thingie is a “LED strip controller” or something like that. Didn’t find the model I’m using, it’s quite old now I guess.

Check out my pic, I’ve used the “side-emitters” on my Cruze for LED DRL’s
I powered them with onboard 12v

FYI,
SMD 3528 = 4-5 Lm/ft
SMD 5050 = 10-12 Lm/ft

So the 5050 chipped strips are twice the lumens at twice the price.

Here’s a 3528 strip, Waterproof for $8.50~ shipped
Clicky Here

ordered one, thanks

If you wish for long life, try using a 9v DC transformer.
Most that I check, will show more than nameplate data, using them on draw rates LESS than needed will arrive at higher than nameplate voltage.

i.e. a 12 transformer with 300ma output used on a 250ma device will power it at more than 12v, usually.
So checking the “draw-down” volts during operation is handy.

You can cut the strips at any length desired [3-led]
Here’s a closeup of a 5050 smd strip

Not sure of the next strip led type.

Here is a closeup of a strip. There are 3 LED’s in each section that repeat. The 3 LED’s in each section Each section of 3 LED’s are in series with each other and with a current limiting resistor. Each of these repeating sections are also in parallel with the other sections. Any number of sections can be cut out and wired to 12V DC. I used a wall wart to power some. Just use a supply that will provide enough current for the number of sections that you use.

1.- I agree the epoxy hinders cooling, I don’t plan to use waterproof in the house.
2.- Did you get the 12v transformer with the strip, Did ya check the ma output rating vs the wattage of your strips ?
3.- Voltage when under load?

Here’s a wireless remote for $4.00
Wireless remote link

Should be just fine…

Thanks for the info, I think I have founds a power supplier on our local Ebay.

Alright, I bought some but I’m going to be back bugging you guys for some help with power when I get around to hooking them up.

Well as cheap as these things are I think I'll get some to try them out! Wish I could get an idea of how much output to expect. I'm expecting to need to run rows of them in parallel to get decent output.

-Garry

IMO, avoid the 3528 and just step up to the 5050 (non-water proof version). Even the RBG 5050 blows away a cold white 3528 in lux. Ive bought several of these from the same vendor with very good results. It comes with the power adapter, and the remote does a good job of selecting a color/mode/brightness you’d like. Plus there’s nothing else to buy, accept your favorite case of beer.

Agreed FlashPilot, I’m using a 3528 strip behind my TV but I don’t think the output is enough for working spaces like in the kitchen.

DrVette: No my transformer comes from an old thin client or something, it can deliver more mA than needed.
I think I measured around 11,8v at both ends of the strip. Bought a “real” LED transformer too, maybe I’ll use that one next time. Like someone wrote, the strips don’t cost much so a bit of trial and error is OK I think :slight_smile:

Will probably try a non-waterproof strip next time.

Yeah, there’s many different LED controllers, the one I got has a small metal housing and bigger remote. Guess most of them will work just fine.

Regarding the transformer voltage vs ma output.

[Someone correct me if I’m waay wrong]

I use old transformers from various past items all the time.
Get a cheap VOM from walmart etc for like $8-10.00

1. Check “no load’ voltage output, usually it will exceed nameplate rating until fully loaded
[sometimes NOT].
2. Wire up LED’s then check voltage, if within spec, solder & heat shrink joints.

i.e. some 9v transformers output 11-13vdc, under no-load.
Second hand stores are a good place to get misc transformers for $1 ~ .

as usual, YMMV :slight_smile:

Regarding the 5050’s of course these are much brighter, @ 2x the price ~.

Just FYI, I’ve powered these up with a couple of different power supplies.

1st one [I KNEW what’d happen, at least I thought I did]
A 12 & 350ma ps, the strip went full bright but the ps got hot in about 10min.

What IS working, so far,
A 9v 1,200ma ps.

The strip is same brightness as the other ps and has run 5-6hrs w/o overheating.
FYI this ps is VERY heavy, a good pound and about 3x2x2” .

I have some “Hot Wheels” electric kids car chargers I plan to try with the 5630 strip set I’ve ordered.

as always, YMMV :slight_smile: