so... can we talk COBs? cheap COBs...

Okay. once i was here for not very long? i realized that the china-tastic COBs in simply e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g ? weren’t what “we” meant when we said “LED emitter”. I mean, it IS an emitter, but… you know what i mean, After being here for 5 minutes?? I never did anything but chuckle when i picked up a “Lamp dePoops” in a dollar-ish store when it had one of those COBs.

I immediately associated the COB with… cheap, knockoff, lowest common denominator stuff. Okay, I saw “cool” big voltage and power ones that needed the big adjustable voltage/adjustable amperage drivers occasionally on here, but, in a couple dollar device? “uh uh”

Sure enough? I am in a local discount clothes chain, they do have a little bit of “home crap” section… you know, half of the “seen on TV” products from 2 years ago…80 different choices in pot holders… and maybe 3 flashlights. Well, while this isnt exactly the proving grounds for the latest and greatest CREE advancements?? They HAVE started to have the occasional overpriced chinese light, and really, if you have a few zoomies? I WILL LOOK, lol… cheap zoomies are like T!t$ to me… i WILL look. I(f its cheap enough? i will buy one, and much like boobies? i just dontknow why, ha ha.

I bought a 68 clone, looked like a half decent body, for 5 bucks. can i do better from China? sure… but this one is in my HAND. Then? I got suckered into the “try me” packaging of this goofy little cheap COB “closet/stairwell” puck light sort of thingy.

Huh… no throw, but… the very close FLOOD? is very floody, and the crisp white isnt all blue or purple or anything. Am i going to compare the tint to some cri-99 wonder-emitter? No… but… this was a “5 dollar item” and the discount store is selling a rack of these little puppies for 3 dollas. NOW, for 3 dollars? I’ll grab yer moms… erm… “puck light” and play with it, ha ha…

I have fairly recently been exposed to finally liking a reflector light… I finally dated several ultra low budget headlights, and ended up going steady with my Boruit Rj02… I am starting to want to “build” or “buy” some kind of reasonable power “work light” doing a lot of electrical and basement work…

I mean, for a “zoomie only” kind of guy? recently my hypocrisy knows NO BOUNDARIES. Give me a few beers?> and i will shack up for the night with ANY light, it seems, if only for one night.

and this is intended as a “nook” light… a cupboard light… a stairwell light… and I am looking at it like its a T-I-N-Y budget work light. for 3 bucks, i liked it.

I am actually liking this thing. its built like a gigantic light switch… runs on 4xAAA… its a square “puck” light. Its junk, but… its half decently MADE junk. Nothing to break if you dont KICK it. Direct drive with a single resistor one mode driver. They retail for 5, but, at THREE i want ten or more of these things. Throw one here there and everywhere. Half seeded at home, half seeded at work site. One in the car i guess.

Its the “I-Zoom… Simple Touch Rocker Lite… 200 (claimed) lumens”.

this crushes those horrible dollar store “pucks” that work for all of 45 seconds before they break themselves for you, its more convenient than you have to waste YOUR time breaking IT, they commit hari-kari as if knowing they are junk and want to end it all…

Not only is the light “useable” and close-floody?? its really lightweight… its got 2 little magnets to stick it on a metal thing working… it has VELCRO so you can take it and carryit/re-magnet it…. then velcro it back where you keep it handy (top of basement steps?)… you can even slip it over a “proud” screw or nail like a power strip.

4xAAA and simple one resistor driver? means i can MOD it to make a “super long run time” out of it, all i need is a “4x1860” or “8x18650” battery holder rewired up for parallel…

honestly, i wish i knew where to buy this obviously inexpensive COB emiter at… I would put a couple or several on a base-box stuffed with laptop pulls, fo base stability and SUPER long runtime… i could scratch build a driver with a single resistor. Have a “all weekend long” little fishing lantern, pout all the money into the batteries, where it counts.

i held my finger for a whole minute on the back of the metal plate? the back of the emitter doesnt even get hot in the first minute! this thing doesnt NEED any heatsinking… runs colder than the ice thru my ex-wifes veins…

so… if i could score the emitter cheap in bulk? i would definitely want to use several to make my “rechargeable long run time work light”, which is all flood anyhow.

i can NOT ID the emitter or find it on Ebay… anypne know where i get cheap toys to play with on this one?

heres the infomercial, so you know what i talk about…

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;\_ylt=A0LEVj.xZrZYb0cAkzIPxQt.;*ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw—?p=izoom+simple+touch+rocker+light&tnr=21&vid=ae2383d22b99cb282d19019e1dabc406&l=132&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.V4776f48de3b129dc5292c2bd13e4052d%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=12bmnhh92&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqU7S4SbXjLs&sigr=11bbcfuv0&tt=b&tit=Simple+Touch+Rocker+Light+2-Pack&sigt=110toj1of&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dizoom%2Bsimple%2Btouch%2Brocker%2Blight%26type%3Dlvswebcompa1_0yach_WCYID10242161221*\_yaff%26hspart%3Dlvs%26hsimp%3Dyhs-awc%26fr%3Dyhs-lvs-awc%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=15f1slf6q&hspart=lvs&hsimp=yhs-awc

PS - Member Djozz? isnt allowed to so much as LOOK at this one I own, ha ha… his mere g-a-z-e would melt it, ha ha…

banggood has a ton of em.
still have not found the 3v type yet.found some 12v.
i use the 3aa version magnetic light from walmart.
dremel out the battery area and run 2p 18650 and a tp4056 board.
very nice for a cheap thing and a simple mod.
heres one

There might be some useful info in the cob thread that hank started COB LED flashlights? discuss, point, recommend, criticize ....

There are high quality CRI COB ligh solutions for professional photo and video

To realize a compact light with an uniform beam pattern with high power and efficieny they are good, if you buy not some cheap noname one

they are really getting under my skin… and everytime I look at the PRICES even the “budget retailers” want for mains powered work lights? and see the “specs” on yet another “ho hum cheap” battery portable version?? it makes my skin crawl away with me…

…and of course? its crawling towards buying some and playing with them….

when i show off my house wiring skills? I am ASHAMED to admit i cant “make” something more powerful than the 150 dollar “budget” kitchen light fixture i installed for my buddys moms kitchen…

these things have fallen in price so much? theres all KINDS of stuff to do with them now…

I wanna make somethng that actually SCARES someone when they walk in my from china”budget house bathroom” and flick the switch… I want them to be afraid to turn the light on, lol…

I am getting bored with these “twisty” CFL’s everywhere, in every room of the house… i am sick and tired of night lightsd too, LMAO…

i cant BELIEVE how cheap i can get a fistful of “small COBS” now, and NOW i can get the power supply for 110 built into the COB circuit board… and its all dirt cheap.

and? my buddys GARAGE has crappy lighting? and… I am so authorized to “do anythng i want about it” provided the garage remains “standing”, was his words.

===

to me? this is like playing the national anthem before a sporting event…

I should have a “motion light”? that truly makes people nervous…