Sofirn C01R deep red [sold out, discontinued]

I’ve been abroad with work and only just got my hands on my C01R.

Light output is great, the wavelength is noticibly deeper than other red leds I’ve got, when ceiling bounced on high, the colour reminds me of film scenes in submarines or photo dark rooms.

Re. Brightness, yes the low could be tad lower but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I ordered the hard plastic AAA diffuser at the same time as the C01R, on medium or high this will make a great 360 degree light to clip onto a backpack when cycling.

Just got mine. Love it but hotspot is kinda anoying so i took a piece of Scotchbrite and “polished” lens a bit. Result is amazing, beam is uniform without hotspot and artifacts.

The holdup for mine has definitely been Newgistics. My light was finally handed off to the post office yesterday, and is out for delivery today. It only took a week or so for it to get to the US. Newgistics and their “shipping partner” had it for over a month! I’m hoping that yours is just in the same situation, and will get to you soon.

12000 km in 60 days, 200 km per day, still faster than walking or swimming from China :stuck_out_tongue:

So set on medium, held at elbow length so it illuminates both eyes, viewed for three minutes through closed eyes.
I think that’s roughly the prescription. Time wll tell if my vision improves.

With all the talk about 670nm deep red led helps eyesight @ 670nm deep red led helps eyesight
Using a 670nm would lead me to get another one or two
Maybe add some blue anodizing for health
Cheers
OS

This is already the light you seek. This LED is 650-670 according to data sheet. The next “deeper” red (called Far Red) is 720-740 and barely visible. I doubt it would sell very well.

We already brought up alternative emitters in the C01 thread, but Barry said they are planning to just do one emitter to keep the cost low.
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/51879/2900

He did not confirm if a host version will be made, but djozz was previously under the impression this would happen if a new C01 batch is made. A host would be very easy to solder your own 5mm LED into.

Even if there is no host, it will be unpotted.

There is no prescription. Some initial research with small numbers of participants indicates there is probably an effect. Confirming this as known beneficial treatment without significant side effects to FDA standards will requirement significantly more testing. The risk does seem very low, so I’m hardly going to discourage it, but be careful about overstating what is known at this time.

EPIGAP charges considerable prices plus shipping fees for their 670nm 5mm LED. Consequently, this idea is not viable for a small batch of C01 lights. :-( Still, you may feel free to manually swap the emitter in an existing C01 light.

EPIGAP 670nm leds can have a peak wavelength between 660nm and 680nm. Data sheet does not show what the spectrum looks like, it could be more narrow or more wide than XP-E2 Photo Red 660nm.

Until someone tests some of these leds and compares them to Sofirn’s XP-E2 Photo Red 660nm, I don’t think there is enough evidence to suggest they are that much different.

I received my Sofirn order yesterday, including 2x C01R and diffusers. I wanted to look up some information on the Sofirn website product page and noticed that they are now out of stock! Same with the eBay Store. And the Aliexpress Store #2933049 doesn’t have it, either (although this store claims to be the official store, is it really?).

Anyway this is quite a neat light. Way more powerful than I expected. Hope everyone that wanted one was able to get it!

Back to the main question I was trying to answer, does the C01R have thermal throttling or timer-based step-down? I left it on the highest mode w/ diffuser on my nightstand last night while preparing to sleep. Can the LED be damaged by doing this? It probably ran 10-15 minutes total and was hot when I turned it off. Sorry if this was answered in thread, I did some searching but didn’t find a definitive answer.

No step down at all, time or temp. The electronics can handle quite a bit of heat (more than your fingers) so it’s hard to say. My guess is it would probably survive if ambient temp isnt too bad and air flow not blocked significantly but I wouldn’t leave it on high regardless.

The air flow was blocked because it had a diffuser on it.
Unless that diffuser is something else and I am a confuser.

As far as I am informed there is no actual step down of any kind in place, i.e. the light's brightness/ouput will decrease as the voltage drops. Personally, I consider the high mode of C01R like an extra "turbo mode" that pushes the emitter to its limit and is used occasionally for some minutes. Red LEDs are often reported to be more sensitive to heat. Running it indefinitely on high mode might reduce the life expectancy (normally claimed to be about 50,000 - 100,000 hours) of the emitter a bit but I don't think it has suffered any damage after only 15 minutes. If you seek out for something more powerful than C01R, maybe the AA version called SP10R (in development) will catch your interest. If even that is not powerful enough I recommend asking Hank Wang (International Outdoor Flashlights) for a custom built Emisar D4v2 or D18 or Noctigon KR4 using multiple SST20-DR emitters.

Here are some measurements of my C01R, it showed no stepdown on its highest level in my test:

Kind regards
Frederick

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I think the room temp was around 22C, the diffuser probably did cause some increased heat accumulation, but even with it being hot to the touch when I turned it off, it wasn’t burning up. Just quite warm.

I think the_holodoc’s test data (which now I recall seeing before when I read through the thread a month ago when I ordered) shows that this little light can run on high without burning itself up, but as several have mentioned probably not good for the longevity of the LED. The reason I ask is I bought two and one is a gift, so I want to make sure to tell my friend not to run it on high all the time. Thanks the_holodoc for your test!

Lux-P, that’s good advice to think like the High as Turbo, I’ll keep that in mind and let my friend know, too. Also want to take the opportunity to say thanks for managing all of these Sofirn projects. I’m very excited to see all that is in development and it’s great that you take the time to facilitate the discussions. I believe I’m following each and every one of them!

Did someone just buy all C01R’s .They seem to be SOLD OUT for good.

Looks like they have 198 in-stock at Aliexpress.com.

I just ordered one from aliexpress.com, still 97 available.

Barry told me Sofirn is currently prototyping C01R using Luminus SST20-DR. He also tries to source SST20-DR emitters with chromaticity bin D6 (665nm - 670nm) for an even "better" deep red. This could also be interesting for those of you following the 670nm deep red thread about medical effects on the human eye, investigated and discovered by UCL, UK.