Sofirn C01R deep red [sold out, discontinued]

Thanks, I did not notice they made it to Amazon. There is now one less. :slight_smile:

Love this light. Liked it even better that I got it in two days from Amazon; the wait and ā€œprice differenceā€ was worth it for me.

Now, if we could just get Sofirn to make a run of these with a green LEDā€¦

congrats
I agree these 3 mode red lights are a winner
and
I like your attitude about price too :slight_smile:

I paid a couple dollars extra, just to get a red body. I dont mind at all.

curious what applications make you interested in green.

I like green too, for actual illumination, particularly outdoorsā€¦ Red makes leaves and greass disappear, green makes them show up. Green is also better for spotting deer, shows their body more easily, while neither color spooks them.

curious, if you people had a choice, between green and amber, which would you choose first?

C01G ("G" as in Green) is actually on my agenda already. I hope Sofirn will be interested in that version, too. A green version will be significantly brighter than C01R and possibly a little bit brighter than C01S, depending on the emitter. I am looking for suitable LEDs, not sure if there is a SST20-G but a SST10-G was used the Wurkkos's WK40 prototype already, so they will have something there for testing. I wonder what C01G with Osram KP CSLNM1.F1 ("Green Flat 1mmĀ²) will look like in this host, maybe a bit too much throw for an AAA keychain light?

I believe the very small die is not focused with the OEM optic and if you go wider or beaded it kind of defeats the purpose of using an expensive LED like this.

Where are these available? I donā€™t see them on Amazon Canada. :frowning:

Amber! Yes, please.

A high density LED is probably not very efficient if you want a wide beam, right? Iā€™d like to get one, but with smooth reflector or dedicated TIR.

yea, not those, we are apparently waiting on the SST20 version, the Amazon ones were assumed to be XPE2

> the Amazon ones were assumed to be XPE2

suggest you read the link you quotedā€¦

ā€¦

the beam from the SST-20 has some issues, basically, at certain distances, there is a center hotspot that is not in good focus, so the field of light is not very evenā€¦ I blame the Tir

otoh, the modes are extremely well spacedā€¦ I can see something in my hand on the lowest mode, I can see in an 8 foot radius on medium outdoors, and the high mode will easily illuminate a bench against a wall 20 feet away.

The Tir does a good job of pushing light forwards in a relatively tight beam

I cant compare it to the earlier XP-E2 model I had, it has already been giftedā€¦ But I dont recall noticing the artifacts with the XP-E2ā€¦

both are good for me though, Im not going to be that picky with an inexpensive twistyā€¦ it does a lot of things right, and imo are muggle friendlyā€¦ I like em myself :slight_smile:

difficult to get the photos to show the beam variations, there is a hotspot, plus a spill, that moves in and out of focus depending on distance:

overall, Im very impressed with these little lights

and fwiw, I buy them myself at full priceā€¦ Im not a sofirn reviewer, and I dont get free samplesā€¦ I just like em

If you are sure that itā€™s a red SST20 I should believe you, but the description (for the now out of stock product) says XP-E2, it says SST20 for the white light C01S.

Im not sure anymore

the link I posted had a Red C01R, that I purchased, and is not on the listing anymore

forgive me adding confusion

I agree the link now goes only to SST-20 4000k, and no 660nm lights are listed anymore

I thought a new batch of SST-20 red had been released, but apparently they were just clearing out a couple of XP-E2 660nm

glad I got a couple :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a listing for the C01S, the red one was the C01R. For some reason a Amazon listing often contains more than one product.

agree
thanks for the reality check.

I scored C01R from a C01S listing
I rule :person_with_crown: over chaos and confusionā€¦
lol

I ordered one this afternoon, then there were 2 leftā€¦

Then oneā€¦

Then none.

I just talked to Barry and he said that mass production of C01R SST20-DR starts this week, so sales should commence by the end of the week. I presume it will be sold on sofirnlight.com first (which was reported to provide very fast shipping to many locations).

I think I know what Alen is talking about.
Compare Thrunite Ti3 v2 , with Sofirn C01 , The twist mechanism on Ti3 feels much better, especially in the dark, when your senses are more acute.
I know it is not a fair comparison. I could be comparing night and day.

I don't have ThruNite's Ti3 v2 for comparison but if someone could eloborate in detail what exactly needs to be improved I can try to discuss these things with Sofirn. So far, Alen was talking about threads being more square and robust on the Ti3 v2. On the other hand, I did not see a lot of complaints that would justify changing threads in Sofirn's C01S/C01R host design.

Itā€™s all preference. In my opinion the threads on the Ti3 are way too stiff and gritty.

Sofirn C01S threads are middle of the road, nothing wrong with them but not noticeably great or bad. You can operate it with one hand since itā€™s smooth and the head is very high on the body.

Jetbeam Jet-U has some really good AAA threads. Lumintop EDC01 as well. I have a very old Olight that is smooth but it may be broken in and almost too loose now.

I think what these have in common is actually superior satin anodizing that is very fine in texture and appropriate O ring sizing. For aluminum lights I suspect the machining/thread choice is ā€œgood enoughā€ for most brands and the previous two are the limiting factor.

people often talk about the feel and quality of threads, that imo is actually a reaction to the feel of the O ring

try this at home, remove O ring, discover how loose the threads really areā€¦

learn that the feel of operating a twisty is determined primarily by the O ring, not the threads.

I see nothing wrong with the threads on the C01ā€¦ to me they work fine. So does the O ringā€¦