Sofirn Q8 458 HAM'R, DBC say's It's Hammer Time! :)

I wanted to incorporate SMD emitters into the primer cups and tie them into the switch light, in the end I figured it would be a virtual waste of effort as they would seldom be seen.

I used the Ham’r last night, walked down to the road to try and flag down the UPS driver but it was just a venture in play as I ended up having to get the truck and go find em. lol Really enjoying the central hot spot with all the flood surrounding it, makes for a nice walk light at lower levels and on the occasion higher levels are used it’s kind of cool having football stadium lights on hand at a double click. :wink:

PP? It’s an Aluminum Big Block. :slight_smile:

3 lbs 2 ounces, guess that’s a bit more now with the 4 cartridges in there filled with Sugru. I need to put a keychain lanyard on it…. :wink:

I had made a bronze finned “heat sink” with a 1/4x 20 threaded end to screw into the side of my BLF GT as a grip aid, have been moving it around to hot rodded Q8’s… now it’s found it’s most appropriate home on the Q8 458 Ham’r… gives a great stop to wrap a finger around and take stress off holding the weight with grip alone and adds that little bit of heat sink to the driver bay area. I Like It! :smiley:

As an aside, here’s a pic of the .458 HAM’R brass beside a fired .454 Casull casing. Notice on the cut piece how thick the walls of this brass is down about 1/3 the length up from the base. Crazy! The .458 HAM’R is a custom cartridge designed to fit a custom AR-15, it utilizes a .50 AE cartridge necked down to fit the .458 diameter 300 grain bullet… very potent round with 3000 ft lbs of energy! It truly does “Ham’r”! (Interesting though, the .458 HAM’R only has 46,000 psi chamber pressure while the .454 Casull has 65,000 and in my case, is fired from a 3” barreled handgun in the form of the now legendary Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan!)

Oh, another interesting note… by complete chance the bronze heat sink threads down and is virtually the same height as the width of the aluminum head… with the head on a flat surface the bronze heat sink is also flat and allows the light to stand on a table top with the battery tube parallel with the table. Totally by chance!

Place to put a lanyard? Don’t you mean wheels?

My favorite camera lens is over 3 pounds all by itself, as is one of my camera bodies. This feels light by comparison… :wink:

How much glass is in that lens to be that heavy?

Impressive! How is it compared with Thor’s Hammer? :smiley:

Thor gets tired too easily. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, Barry, on that note, those new tubes with carriers are sorely needed to finish this light out. I have 16 brand new Samsung 30Q’s sitting here waiting on the carriers… Any idea when I can get that going?

Blue, the Canon EF 70mm-200mm 2.8L IS is 3.2 pounds. Edit: Specifically… 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements) 52.6 ounces.

Bigger glass is much heavier. A 400mm f2.8L IS is a serious chunky monkey, takes more money than I have for me to know this personally.

My 1Ds MkII is also over 3 pounds. Put the 70-200 on it, with flash bracket and flash, carry it all day at a 12-14 hour wedding, and you know you been doing something!

Whoa!!

Extend that finned heatsink... HAM'R Beam! All it needs is a stock.

I'm sure some of the photons have escaped Earth's atmosphere already!

Broodmaster, if Sofirn gets me the 2 sets of carriers/tubes it will be 4 18650’s long in the battery tube with 16 cells on board. Close enough to a stock…. :wink:

Lol! You got that right!

It would be cool to learn how to use the 6” 4 jaw chuck on my lathe, be able to offset bore a new battery tube to utilize 4 of the very capable Samsung 30T 21700 cells. That would be interesting…

Taking it out to the lake to try and get some beam shots… :wink:

A time machine that travels a the speed of light!

Dale, you took the wrong car! :stuck_out_tongue:

What raccoon city is suggesting could be done, although only in space.

LP, I don’t have a trailer ball on the Camaro. :wink:

Holy Cats, that’s a big’un!

And “only” 12.8klm… :laughing: