Sofirn Q8 Plus

Sorry, pretty much already showed those.

I haven’t gone SFT40 in this light but primarily only because of the sheer lumens that would be lost. The reflector cups are textured which would of course limit how much throw is gained so it just may not be worth the effort.

1 Thank

That is helpful but we were talking about the sp36 remember?

Sorry.

I have that driver readily available, will get pics.

SP36 Pro

Yes, I damaged the ATTiny85 getting the driver out. New one arriving any day now.

It died in the name of science.

Thanks for that, appreciate it.

I reviewed this for banggood under the Axtrolux branding and my 6500K unit measured a hair over 26K at turn on. It’s either the 5000K is the cause of the lower reading or Sofirn have since changed something. That review was the very first video using my drone for the beamshots :slight_smile:

Well the bypassed tailsprings at least

1 Thank

Here ya go Jeff, decided to quit playin with the phone camera…

3 Thanks

Wow that the clearest photo I’ve ever seen of a flashlight driver. Appreciate it

1 Thank

Ironically the new driver that came today is winky as all get out.

Figures.

When it comes to photography, or flashlights, Dr. Frankendale doesn’t mess around.

1 Thank

DB knows how to use light for better photography

So whats your impression of the sp36 driver compared to whichever of the q8s?

The driver I just got is not working properly. The 7135 channel is out.
This one has a different MCU, not an ATTiny 85. So I can’t readily repair it.

I think I am going to wipe the SP36 Pro driver I busted and piggyback a driver in, Anduril of course but A1 with no charger. Will let ya know how that works out.

If I can safely isolate the part of the driver that is the charger I may leave that in place. Will have to do some testing. :wink:

Going batshi* crazy! Did somebody switch the type of 7135 used while I was out? I keep seeing the 7135 channel fry the lil bugger! I flash with Anduril as I have done so many times before, straightforward FET+1 driver. Test the driver outside the light and the 7135 goes up in smoke nearly immediately. This is a momentary switch FET+1 from Richard, used these many times. I DID put the newly recommended SIR178 MOSFET on the driver.

But this is exactly what’s happened to the new driver from Sofirn.

AMC7135s went bad a while back, and have slowly affected everybody as they’ve run out of old “good” 7135s. I’ve had a lot of issues. You used to get raptor claws to even work in 2S lights, but that’s long gone now (it was never officially supported). A lot of them “leak” current when off now. As for going up in smoke, I haven’t had it (yet) except in 2S configs, but the SP36 is not that.
They also can’t be run as low as before - many of MTNE’s driver pages note that ultra-low moonlights can’t be offered any longer as a result. I believe the 7135 change is what first drove Hank and Simon to move away from 7135s.

1 Thank