Sofirn SP10V3 Defective on First Day

Highly unlikely for this issue since the Sofirn 14500 handled 5A discharge without exceeding 80°C. If it discharged at 5A then that battery would be 0V in under 11 minutes

Thats Sad :frowning:
Sofirn wants me to cancel the dispute and send me a new one now since i gave them a link to this thread on Aliexpress. But i dont really want the sp10v3 anymore with that many people having problems with the light.
Does someone know if i cancel the dispute i cant open it anymore ? Because im not sure if they really want to send me a new one or just get the dispute closed.

Just say you’d prefer a refund so you can buy another model because many people are reporting a faulty driver.

In my case, I requested a return/ replacement from Amazon. They provided a return shipping label with no mention of batteries or restrictions for shipping the unit back intact. I received the replacement yesterday. This sample is not exhibiting the the heat issue, and overnight there has been no drain on the 14500 cell. However, it will not turn on with standard AA or NIMH, and the switch is sloppy and unpredictable. This one’s going back with a request for refund. I’m tapping out on this model, it’s a dud.

Mines been ok so far but I’ll check the charge level in the morning to see the drain on a working driver.

I was about to suggest just letting Sofirn send you a new one since the majority of reviews on Amazon are positive, and that you’d most likely end up with a good one. But I think you should either go with a refund, or at least get store credit toward something else if you buy lights from them often.

I have one Thorfire which was the original. Wonder if it has the same problem?

Battery voltage hasn’t dropped at all over the last 15 hours in mine.

Thanks for that. I deleted my comment off your video as I didn’t want to put anyone off. Seems to be quite a few that have left a positive review

If mine does fail I’ll update the video title to mention the issue.
I do mention issues i find even if it looses me occasional commission, friends and brands sending lights!

The issue here is that its likely a defect that affects a certain (unknown) percentage.
If yours is not one of those then you should not notice anything, if it is then you have a potentially dangerous lemon.

Wild guess: maybe the drivers are designed by freelancers and so the next freelancer doesn’t understand the previous design? Each designer probably has a limited skill set and has to design the driver around their skills.

Sorry for all the issues. Please reach us if your SP10 V3 is the lemon, I will make it right.
From what I know, this issue is limited. Only small part of the 1st batch wouldn’t accept AA batteries. All SP10V3 are good since 2nd batch. Thank you for understanding.

Good to know. Thanks for the update Sofirn.

Your support is appreciated. :+1:

:+1: That’s why more than 50% of my collection are Sofirns.

If it makes anyone feel better, the one I received from Amazon on Tuesday, has been just fine.
I have not tried using an AA battery, but it hasn’t become a pocket warmer with the 14500

Have you been able to remove the defective ones from your warehouses or are they still being sold?

I’ve love Sofirn ever since I whined to them that my Sofirn lights were floating around in the postal system and seemingly not going anywhere. They simply sent me another order. Eventually I got both. They said no worries.

Love those guys. I’d touch base with them first. They’re good folks, as their response above indicates. Their lights are quality and they’d be interested in making any problematic ones good and getting back to 100% perfect.

I got same problem. Bought from Aliexpress. Battery is draining when light is off. Measured draining to 121ma. I am now communicating with Sofirn/Aliexpress about the problem. I really like the light, so hope they send a new one without this issue.

Electronics purchasing 101: Never buy from the first batch. Don’t get suckered by a $5 discount.