Sofirn why are you doing this? (a bit of a rant on new lights and the loss of enthusiast-favorite models)

They are sister companies and share the Jinba Tech factory (the OEM) but their management, engineers and other staff are all separate.

1 Thank

Where is there any official announcement of these lights being discontinued?

I see a bunch on sale, but nowhere do I see anything marked discontinued, not here or their website.

2 Thanks

Okay, a little brutal honesty here. I’m just thoroughly confused as to which SCxx is which, or which SFxx, or TDxx, or IFxx, etc., is which. Complicate that with the -A version, the -T version, the version 2, the Pro, the this, the that, the something-else, etc., and I just get dizzy. I literally can’t even keep the base-models straight, let alone all the variants.

Worse, there were some lights that kept the same “name”, but had various swaps of driver, emitter, UI, etc., with zero way to distinguish them except by description, eg, “the SZ99 which goes right to turbo with a doubleclick, vs the one that goes to ceiling then to turbo”.

Then we got the SP10A and then (black) -B, except for the red/blue B models which took the -A name.

If “enthusiasts” can’t even keep them straight, what chance do normies have? So many models, with way more many variants and subvariants, just dilutes the brand.

I love the latest SP10pro, but the same exact issue plagues it since the OG version from like 20yrs ago: the switch is so damned hard to find in the dark. You know, when you’re most in need of a flashlight vs high-noon outside on a sunny day. I can’t find the switch by sight or by feel in the dark. The switch needs to be able to be lit when it’s off and when it’s on, as with a brightly-lit foreground, the sideswitch still needs to be found to adjust brightness or turn it off, and it’s hard to do it by feel.

It could be perfect in every other way, but that one foible keeps me reaching for my TS10, because I just have to find the unlit end to know exactly where the switch is.

Eg, my GTmicro has the small domed sticky-rubber switch which even though unlit when on, still lets me quickly tell by feel where it is. No such luck with all too many Sofirn lights with sideswitches, especially the small ones. Those small sideswitches are difficult to find. They’re almost always unlit when off, and when on only stay on a few seconds to tell battery status.

Now take the OG version of the SC31. Perfect “granny light”. Not so high-strung as to need throttling-down. Simple and effective UI. Nice big bulky easy-to-find rubber domed sideswitch. Almost anæmic output by today’s standards, but it was a light that made if difficult to hurt yourself. Perfect perfect perfect gifting light for The Muggle. And almost instantly it was torqued up to the A, B, T, Pro, whatever, to Just Another Tubelight along with the hundreds of others out there.

Like, not every light has to be 1500, 1800, or 2000 lemons. Nor does such a light have to be lobotomised to be a good gifting light.

I’ll be honest in that I don’t even notice if a driver’s FET or buck, because I usually always start on moonlight (shortcut) and ramp up to what I need, so don’t notice the dimming with a FET driver. And I just top off when I need to, so I don’t notice the lesser efficiency of FET drivers. So I never made a big stink about what I don’t notice, but I can see where a good buck driver could be very handy and better overall.

So I can only guess that because normies don’t make such a fuss, either, that’s why that buck drivers aren’t that much of an option in new Sofirn lights. Just guessing, and I might be wrong.

I always liked 351s in general, but I see how the 519 is the shiite for now, so sure, go crazy.

Anyway… My biggest suggestions would be more consistency in naming lights other than letter-letter-number-number-optionalletters. Also, find a focus and develop a few Clear Winners instead of shotgunning all over the place and hoping to hit something.

3 Thanks

Mh, my impression was not that bad.

Sofirn went from pretty mediocre mechanical quality and cheap emitters in pretty much every light to adding more and more lights with good build quality, fun experiments that are pretty unique (SC32 is ridiculously small for a 18650 light thanks to the fresnel, still has a nice beam profile) and adding more high CRI options with SST-20 and 519A emitters. Also, a few pretty nice boost driver lights - SP33S, SC33 and some others. Also, the powerbank feature on larger models which I personally love. A SP33S with 5500 mAh 26650 is the perfect powerbank/floodlight combo and usually in my backpack wherever I go.

Their big issue rn is the lack of new anduril models. All “Pro” models are fairly outdated in shape and emitter choice, and desperately need a refresh (at least in the shape of throwing a 519A or similar in, ideally making use of the interesting new models). A SC32 Pro with 519A and Anduril is something I would order in a heartbeat. An IF30 with Anduril, 519As for the flood channel and a more common battery - hell yes.

Sofirns (old) simple UI (I think SP33S was one of the last) was - imo - great. Simple, few features, but intuitive and close enough to Anduril defaults. Then they started adding the non-disableable auto lockout and I hate it (AFAIK it can be disabled again on new models, but is still default on - pls no). Some lights have a really cursed long-press to turn on/off and short press to switch mode UI, that one is pretty terrible but luckily rare.

Also, they really need to work on their naming scheme. SP, SC, IF, random numbers. Please get that sorted. I would like to see the first letter standing for the type (Flood/Throw/Angle/Headlamp), second letter for whether or not it has built-in USB (SC = USB-C, SP = No charging for example), and the numbers should have some relation to either flashlight size or emitter size, and generation. Right now it is all over the place, new models and old models, big and small models, different categories of lights all mixed.

I own a bunch of sofirn lights, and they all are good in their way, but they could be a lot better.

2 Thanks

Im fine with that list of models to be discontinued. I like those models but I could make a case for why discontinuing them makes sense. But I also see where some small changes couldve made a huge difference.

Im not a huge fan of the new lights either tho.

But above all, im really not a fan with of the fixation with sst20’s, sst40’s and lh351d’s. That is more frustrating than anything. Everytime a promising light comes out its - this looks neat…oh, sst40…nevermind.

1 Thank

I like what Emisar does, pick the color, pick the switch, pick the emitter.

7 Thanks

They’re gonna do what they’re gonna do. Only thing we can control is whether to buy them…or not.

And those who think Wurkkos is any different?

People were asked to vote for one of nine candidates for the TS26. A couple months later, the “ice cream” design is added to the mix.

While the latter is a fine design as well, and they are in no way obligated to listen to such polls, it still is a bit disingenuous to offer choices A-G, then shove H out there. Is it an additional candidate? If so, why wasn’t the poll updated, or reopened to include it? Or is it really a preview of what they actually decided to make in the end?

What’s the actual story, and why solicit feedback if it’s going to be ignored in favor of something different? Why should people bother to vote in any future poll if it isn’t going to have any influence on the decision making? But I will given them credit for trying their hand at offering both Anduril and non-Anduril versions of the same model.

The nomenclature drum has been banged here before. There is some logic there, but it’s offset by the number of new models that can be hard to discern from one another. But they did up their packaging game with the slip-cased magnetic-flap boxes, even if they haven’t been employed across all models.

But those are minor things. The auto-lockout UI that nobody asked for, and spread like an infection across the new models was a bigger faux pas. And the emitter choices and cheap drivers could stand to be improved as well.

I got into Sofirn when I bought an SP32A back in 2018. The UI aside, it had a nice driver, wasn’t particularly expensive, and the hope was that there would be more like it in the future, but that hasn’t been the case.

I don’t want yet another FET-driven SST40 in a slightly different form factor; I have more than enough, but if that’s mostly what they’re going to offer…

So close, but sometimes, so far away, seems to be the story with these brands.

3 Thanks

First I’m hearing of possible discontinuation of most models listed, are they confirmed or is this just suspicion? If the latter, you should probably clarify in OP.

2 Thanks

The point being that they aren’t though. The SP36 seems to be on the way out. The only other hotrod they make is the Q8 plus. Other than their enthusiast-oriented models, most of their other lights are a “worst of all worlds” situation (bad UI, linear/FET driver without being a hotod, bad LED choice all at once).

The problem is their lights are in that sort of grey area. Bad UIs on the non-anduril lights, a decreasing selection of anduril ones, and linear drivers mean they’re unappealing to people who want a basic UI and a long runtime. They are managing to miss both markets at once.

No. Wurkkos are a separate company, Sofirn are just their OEM.

Yes, very much.

People have asked them directly, IIRC.

2 Thanks

Could you share some info on the 519A-V1–how much lower is the CRI compared to the old version? Trying to decide whether to stock up on them before they disappear.

Also Sofirn’s discontinuing of the C01S leaves a gap on the market to be filled, and KC1 isn’t doing it.

SP10 Pro

My spectrophotometer can tell you why enthusiasts aren’t buying this. In every mode but the highest, the Duv is over 0.006. It’s so green it’s not ANSI white. Put a 519A in it and it will sell really well.

It’s great for modders and for people who aren’t picky about tint, but enthusiasts are picky about tint.

4 Thanks

This is a problem in general, especially with these Chinese made emitters.

Good light quality is not the highest priority it seems, except for some unicorns (‘Yinding 5050 95 CRI 6500 K’). And the decision to choose Chinese emitters is not only the price. (Cannot prove this, but we all know the political situation for semiconductors and high-tech stuff.)

For me it is simple: if a light is green, it is a no-buy for me. And I also do not recommend any of these green-lights.

3 Thanks

This!!! For darn near every light - Not just Sofirn.
All the Best,
Jeff

https://led-ld.nichia.co.jp/en/product/led_product_data.html?type=NVSW519A-V1&kbn=0

So, my time has come =)
Where is the obvious SP33S with XHP 70.3 or XHP 50.3?
Where are the boost/buck lights with XHP 50.3?
Why did they wasted the SC33 potential with those beam rings and the timed thermal control?
Why they keep using FET with small lights?

1 Thank

you linked the “for flashlight” variant, which for some reason is just R70

https://led-ld.nichia.co.jp/en/product/led_search.html?type=NVSW519A-V1&ledsearch=true
the normal 519A-V1 still has all the CRI variants the V0 had, including R9080.

anyway they said they can’t source the 519A for some reason, dunno why because Wurkkos can, also Hank and FF who move much less volume than Sofirn.

edit : my bad, you linked the right one, Anyway V1 difference is mostly about its slightly lower Vf.

That’s actually a mod I wanna make on mine, rip the 70.2 out and put 70.3 HI in…

Works like a charm. No more searching.

5 Thanks

Sofirn has come a long way, just like Wurkkos and part of their success is giving people what they want and saving money by not making what isn’t selling. Unfortunately (you all heerd it from barry) at this point for enthusiasts, their target audience isn’t enthusiast and it makes sense because enthusiasts probably don’t make up a meaningful portion of sales. thats a problem becsuse you want to cater to your customers who collectively buy your merchandise and more importantly, return to buy more and tell others to buy them. Lumens sell, period. Beam distance, runtime and buzzwords sell. Anduril, high cri, beautiful tint and beams, etc all the things enthusiasts like, aren’t huge selling points to the average Joe and Jill. Example: the Skilhunt E2A (one of the greatest AA pocket lights) I tested with the 4000k 95 cri sst20 only made like 300 ish lumens on a 14500. The 6500k sst20 option makes around 500-600 with more beam distance. Which would you (a non enthusiast who knows almost nothing about cri and warm tints) buy? I’d skip the 4000k. Sofirn is seeing the same. As a business owner, would you keep selling products with features that don’t sell well?

I’m not downplaying the inportance of enthusiast features and upgrading existing designs in any way shape or form. I’m all for that and Wurkkos is enjoying a lot of profit becsuse they’ve chosen to listen to enthusiasts and sell products that enthusiasts (and regular folks) want. Take the TS32. A fantastic light that doesn’t have Anduril. The TS22 also doesn’t have Anduril, but has high cri and warm tint LED. They also have the TS10, which we know is selling like crazy and released a buck driver version of the TD01 (which we wanted)

2 Thanks

The thing is: Personally, I don’t care that much about CRI - it’s mostly a nice-to-have (and I prefer cool over warm CCTs). I like high output, and anduril. There’s very little even for me - it’s all medium output lights with terrible UIs in terms of their new products, and Wurkkos offer better lights at a similar price point.