Solar Charging 18650 Batteries

Will this boost power supply help? Put it between the solar panel and the TP4056 module.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191187457756?\_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The OP has not been back to share his thoughts on what type of solar power/panel he is going to use to charge the 18650. If a solar cell from the most common landscape lights is used, then yes a boost circuit would be required.

90 kW solar farm, nickel-iron storage batteries, line inverter, any decent hobby charger… Voila, you’re good to go! You might want to add a 50 kW or so standby generator incase the sun burns out.

I’m interested in a solar charger also, but it would be have to be portable enough to fit in a backpack for a small camping trip!
I’ve been looking around for this, no one ever really posted something that has a small foot print and viable solution.

A Goal Zero works but as I mentioned upstream I connect the AA battery charger to the Goal Zero and a Miller ML102 to the battery pack to supply stable voltage to the Miller.

Could you show me how that setup looks like?

Link to Goal Zero, Portable & Mountable Solar Panels | Goal Zero

I posted about a small portable solar charger some time ago. The posts can be seen here:

small solar charger

I ended up using an ML102 to charge an 18650 and used one of the fasttech dumb chargers for nimh aa’s. It puts out about 160 ma so there isn’t a lot of risk of overcharge. I tried using my sanyo smart usb charger (for aa’s and aaa’s) plugged into the ML102 but it seemed to heat up and considering that I don’t have a spare I did not experiment further.

There are lots of suggestions in that thread including mention of “cottonpickers” small systems. It would be worth doing a search for his units as there is lots of information available in threads that he has contributed to.

John.

The ML102 put up with quite a range of voltage and amperage (eg. cloudy vs clear sunlight). Whatever battery box is used needs to be tolerant of this.

John.