Solarforce L2P

Hi Ramblings,

just an update on the torches that both arrived recently. I have taken them down crabbing and needless to say, you were right. The torch that Mr Krabbs recommended is no good but the diving one I got was ok. I could attach it to the scoop in future.

I will now look into the lights that you recommended. Upon doing more research, it seemed like there were alternatives to the Roche and the Solarstorm. The Firefox3 for example or the Terminator. Can you tell me a bit about them and why you chose the ones you did?

Thanks.

Gimmicks. Haha. That's pretty much why I chose the lights I did.

I wouldn't go FF3 because of the short run time and it doesn't handle bumps and hits very well. Not ideal for the crabbing environment.

I originally went Roche because it is waterproof, supposedly IP-X8, and had a ramping stepless driver so I wasn't stuck on fixed odes. The terminator is great, compact and really powerful, but it's relatively shorter runtime, higher cost and only IP-X7 rating (I don't think there is actually that much between ratings) put me off that one.

The diving torches from trustfire are the only ones I could find reviews on at that time and they had been tested to around 30m depths so I knew they were good to be submerged any time. Pretty poorly driven though.
I've just come across a new seller on Aliexpress, and the system there hasn't failed me yet. I bought this, this and these and am tempted to try this, but I really don't know how hard these are driven.

But it has been over a year since I got my Roche, and many new lights have come around.

I only mentioned the FF3 because of the link I posted below. I thought the FF3 beam was a bit wider. Other impressive torches were the Vector Twin and the Olympic torch. What do you think of those pictures?

I think the Roche may be my pick for now unless someone can recommend me a better one. I would’ve gone for the Solarstorm SP03 if it wasn’t for this review:

Those diving lights look good. I used the light in this link today and it worked well - http://dx.com/p/cree-xm-l-u2-500lm-8-mode-white-diving-flashlight-grey-1-x-18650-26650-217110 . I can only imagine how a torch twice as powerful would work.

Provided I get the Roche, what are the best batteries that I can get for it? I think in one of your reviews, you said that they must be short enough to fit.

Cheers.

Yup, the light is good, just make sure it stays rust free and gets cleaned every time, especially under the ring.

Sucks to hear about the solarstorm. There's a XM-L2 version of the M170 out there. Get this if you're quick and ask for T6-3B if you can. Or else there's always this.

Best batts are unprotected button tops. Flat tops have worked for me in the past, but only just. You risk uneven discharge if you use them. You CAN use long batteries in a Roche, you just have to be willing to try some modification with the springs in the tail end. If not, the best batteries are these and these. Best bang for buck are probably these.

Forgot to tell you, I just ordered this for a friend, LINK, and it's the best built budget headlamp I've seen. It actually came with an XM-L2 and FT just posted a singfire version, which looks identical, here.

Whoever said things in $US now sucks for us, wait until it returns the status quo.

In Australia we dont pay import duty on anything we buy from OS vendors under $1k. $1001 and it will set you back around $170 extra I believe, unless the item is exempt anyway, which some are. I also believe freight is not included in the assessment of the $1k limit.

Generally the AUD is around $0.70US (historically in my lifetime). It fluctuates from as low as $0.46 odd to as much as $0.90 odd. Recently, it was reversed, the UAD was stronger than the US$. Its currently around $0.88. The $US is recovering. However, if buying local, the market sets the price and Ive seen items that you wouldnt give $5 for, selling for $50. You wouldnt believe the torch the local car parts joint is flogging for $55. Its small, and multi-led. A zoomie looking thing, without the zoom, running 3 AAA’s. Pretty box though. Walk into the larger camping stores, and you find what they call the best, a LED Lenser.

Twice the price, …maybe.