Solarforce S1100 teardown pics (now with MT-G2 awesomeness)

I'm slowly losing any enthusiasm for the XM-L/L2 - XP-G2 is sweet in small lights, MT-G2 in the big lights. If they just weren't so damned expensive...

+1. You have made a lot off us spend more money. I hope your happy now. :stuck_out_tongue:

amen to that, I’m xm-l jaded too, I do however, suggest throwing an xp-g2 in a huge smooth reflector, my convoy l2 is just like a scaled up jacobs a60 lol.

nice job on the s1100, I think it is now, a far better light than when you recieved it.

Woo, that is a frickin nice beam. You have made one very serious light. Congratulations!

After using this thing a while something about it is really starting to bug me. That would be the on/off clickie in the tail, with the mode switch on the side. It's just damn awkward, and doubly so in a light this big. You can't really turn it on one-handed while it's pointed in the direction of anything you'd want to light up. Trying to hold it tactical-style and using your thumb is more likely to sprain your wrist than turn the light on.

It would take some work, namely boring out the existing driver cavity to +1.35" or so (it's 1.22" now), but I could squeeze in a H6Flex and solve several things at once. That would make it controllable thru the side switch only, with the tailcap switch used only as a lockout function. And it's capable of 6.6 amps. And has the crazy fancy UI, which I still don't really understand after just skimming the 30-page .pdf manual.

Thoughts? (or paypal donations?)(no, not really :p )

Stick it in the mail and I’ll machine it out for you. The first time l heard about those drivers I dirtied my pants reading what they could do and ran away real quick. There probably simple enough if you had some sort off university degree. Good luck with it. OL is playing around with one in his latest mod.

I thought you could completely control the light from the side switch. having to turn the light on at the tail, then change grips to control modes is worse than just tail controls. I got to thinking that you only needed the tail switch for complerely cutting power to the driver.

Nope, they're completely separate. It would be much more convenient if the on/off was on the side switch and mode selector was in the tail. So you can see how big an improvement the H6Flex would be, even if it didn't also offer double the output current. >)

comfy - this is awesome, thank you for sharing. Killer thread.

BTW, according to USPS, my S1100 should be here tomorrow and I was interested to hear that it has near TN31 throw?

amazed/excitedFoy

Comfychair, you beat Solarforce to it! That is cool! :slight_smile:

http://www.solarforce.hk/index.php?controller=products&action=view&id=109

It's about time. MTG2 is the best all-arounder for single LED multi-series-cell lights hands down. If you need something different, you're using your flashlight wrong. :p

I must say comfy, to have Solarforce introduce the light you just built . . . Foy finds that kind of thing terribly entertaining. Some statement about being ahaed of the curve and/or spot-on would be appropriate.

I'm sure they had it planned all along, no? Or, did comfy influence the market? Either way, I love it.

coincidenceFoy

I think they should send me one as a gift, don't you? :p

I would not mind that you got one as a gift comfychair, just to see a comparison between both of yours…

When that is said, I think Foy would deserve a gift from Solarforce more than anyone else!

comfy -

It's the least they could do.

ungratefulbaystersFoy

And I even gave them the name for the thing, up at post #79!

I'm still a little amazed that despite all the distractions along the way, to get the light into its current form would require nothing but a fairly simple emitter swap. The mess with the driver plate and all the rest was totally unnecessary, though no way to know that at the time. I changed nothing inside.

Nice read, thanks for posting up that experience. It’ll be interesting to see how theirs performs, should know in a few more days.

Well, you’ve now seen what the S2200 does through my weak expressions, wouldn’t it be cool to see a stock S2200 side by side with your modified “S2300”?

I’ve added a copper wire into the springs of several lights and seen some pretty nice gains, would it do anything for this one? Top and bottom? Is there a cell that would make a difference? I actually ordered 4 Panasonic NCR18650PD for this light, tested it initially with the 3 AW18650 2600mAh cells I had…wouldn’t you know it’d pull 2.21A off the AW’s I already had and 2.08A off the new Panny’s! So of course, it’s using the protected AW’s now. But is there an IMR cell that would give it some more oomph? Or would that get lost in the driver? Would it be worth pulling the star/MT-G2 and replacing it with a copper star/MT-G2 combo?

I have 3 D sized Imedion NiMH cells powering a 3 XM-L2 drop-in from Elektrolumens in a MagLite that’s pulling 9+A from those cells, would love to see this bad boy running 9A! :slight_smile: I think it would take milling out the chunk of Al in this lights head and press fitting a plug of Cu in there to run that kind of amperage though, just sayin…

And could the head be modified to take the Ledil Lena 100mm reflector? It’s 84mm deep, might just need a threaded collar to act as a spacer, wouldn’t THAT be cool

The battery selection will probably affect efficiency and run time, but not output. The copper (Noctigon) star would help with output sag due to heat.

Well I have another S1100 on the way, not sure yet what to do with it. Has anybody done a de-domed XPG2 in these yet, does the reflector play nice with such a tiny die? Or would de-domed XML2 be a better bet?

The only XML2 I ran in this first light for a while was a T6-3C, a little too warm for my taste and I'd definitely hate one of those de-domed, but the 1C is really nice with the dome off.