soldering iron

PPTK, for soldering AMCs and stuff.. is your above linked recommendations list still valid? If so, I think I will order the Hobbyking station.

RE, what is your dimmer module? Is it something your average person could make?

Sent From my Iphone

This is more in line with what they go for here in the U.S.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ERSA-i-CON-1-Soldering-Station-11C1000A00A67-/251127383926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a785bc776

It’s been too long for me to recall with certainty, but I believe when we bought a bunch of them about two years ago that we paid roughly USD250 each for them.

600 Euros is insane. There’s no way I’d pay 600 Euros for one of the Ersas. You can buy a really nice metcal for that kind of money.

PPtk

Yep, sure is.

Great! Anything else I need? I only got tin..

Oh, ok. Do you think a normal lightbulb dimmer could work? I may give it a shot as the "low" setting on mine is 100 watts. :P

I appreciate all of the helpful info. I had no idea that the type and wattage/tip temp was so important. I knew that you guys could put me on the right track. I bought the station from TexasLumens. Thanks Dan.

There's a place near me that has dimmers so I may go get one and try it out this weekend. If I get a chance to I will post the results.

Thank You! You should have it tomorrow I would think. I hope it lasts forever and does you a great job. The guy only used it half a dozen times so it’s like new. Nice tool!!! Let me know how you like it.

Thanks Again. Dan.

I’ve settled on the Hakko FX-888. For $80 shipped, it seems like an awesome value. I use the Weller WES (D)51 at work very often, and it performs just fine for pretty much all applications. Just use your head - and enough flux.

Thanks for the heads up! unfortunately this the pricing locally. I really liked the solid construction of the ersa’s but with that price tag i will take my chances through Internet.

Looks good. I learn my lesson of buying the wireless/portable one that ran on 3 AAs. Bought a 9 dollar one myself, came with some cheap solder & a replacement tip.

Just got TexasLumens’ station in yesterday and it looks like a really nice one. I cant wait to get my leds in from Int. Outdoors to try it out.

Just got TexasLumens’ station in yesterday and it looks like a really nice one. I cant wait to get my leds in from Int. Outdoors to try it out.

How about this one?

SparkFun generally sells good stuff. If all you have to spend is $40, then that’s probably a good one…way ahead of the $10 non-regulated cheapies.

My recommendation — If you’re going to get anything other than a $10 cheap, non-isolated, non-regulated pencil, step up to the FX-888 Hakko. If you want the next step up from that, look at a pro unit like a Metcal/Oki, Pacer, etc. Good tools make the job soooooo much easier.

I love my Metcal MX500. Rescued it from eBay for $90 (included the wand). Just needed a new power switch.

-Pete

Found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320994417224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That may be a bit more than I need. Up ’til now I’ve been getting by with a 25W pencil but doing drivers and smt stuff is not fun. The Hakko clone mentioned above is OS but I still have to stay in budget so if the Sparkfun setup is not crap I will get it. Thanks.

its already in my watch list, thanks. Too bad the shipping to Greece is an extra 68$

What about the stations on this page. Any good ones? Bad ones? Why? Don’t know what to look for , what to avoid. Tips too expensive or wear out too quickly. Poor calibration, etc.