Solution: Klarus XT12GT stopped working

I've been the owner of the Klarus XT12GT for a short time. About 30 days.

Last night, the light was having an issue. I tried several different batteries and none made any difference.

I took the tail cap off to have a look. The power button appeared loose. It was. I tightened it up, and all is good as new again.

Two questions:

(1) Should I put blue loctite on the end cap/internal retaining ring? I hesitate because it appears to be plastic. Maybe some plumbers tape instead?

(2) Does the XT12GT have a lock out built into the tail cap? It appears to now. I did not notice this (or read in the paperwork) previously.

Hopefully my findings and solution help others that have this light.

Cheers!

I think that it to have a lockout (by unscrewing the tail cap, the threads at the end of the battery tube would have to be anodized (and the end edge would not be anodized). Is that the case with this light? The way that would work is that by anodizing the threads and leaving the eddge unanodized, when you screw the tailcap on tight it makes contact with the exposed edge.

EDIT: The 2nd and 4th pic in the OP in this thread:

shows (I think) how the lockout would look (at the end of the battery tube).

I found when I tighten the end cap all the way in, is when it locks out. Un-screw 1/8th - 1/4 to activate

That is odd. I don’t know how they would do that, but maybe someone here who has the same Klarus (I don’t) might know.

Jim

EDIT: I see you posted a pic. Those threads don’t look anodized, so it probably isn’t what I described that is doing this. I don’t know 100% what it might be but it may be something like when you screw it in tight, it is doing something like pushing the driver board to lose contact or something like that. I don’t know if that is a feature, or maybe something is not right. I guess we need to wait for someone else here who has the same light to tell you if theirs does the same thing you are seeing.

There is a physical lockout. It sounds like yours isn’t working quite right, maybe something is slightly out of spec.

Fully tightened should be functional and about a 1/4 of a turn loosened should be locked out.

The amount of pressure the springs exert on the included Klarus cell is quite high (due to the cell’s length). I used unprotected 30Q for most of my testing.