SOLVED: The WORST Possible TV ever!

What is a smart TV and the privacy risks of a smart TV

https://us.norton.com › internetsecurity-iot-smart-tvs-and-risk

A recent Consumer Reports investigation found that millions of Samsung TVs could potentially be controlled by hackers exploiting easy-to-find security flaws. These risks include allowing hackers to change TV channels, turn up the volume, play unwanted YouTube videos, or disconnect the TV from its Wi-Fi connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65RU7100FXZA-Flat-UHD-Smart/dp/B07SG11X2S?th=1

You are dealing with motion blur and judder.

Read this carefully.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100#comparison_2452

Link VoB provided above was mangled. Here’s the correct one to Amazon: Samsung UN65RU7100FXZA

Read negative reviews. There’s a lot of complaints, with some about picture. LINK

Hopefully there is a return policy so this garbage TV can be sent back for a full refund.

There were also six 5-star reviews for it just on Monday.

Told u don’t get a cheap 4k tv. They’re complete crap. You’d rather get a used 1080p one.

Yes. Of course there are positive reviews. It’s quite possible that there are defective ones slipping into the production stream. But then there’s also the context. 5-star reviews may be consumers with 4k fiber optic cable feeds and NO upscaling from 720p and 1080p.

You should have a look trough the settings and disable all picture enhancement features like noise reduction, smooth movement, sharpening and so on. Just try and experiment, I had to do that on mine. Don’t use the standard modes.

I don’t have a definite instruction for you since I’m not familiar with those TVs, but on my Philips I have a “monitor” mode that disables absolutely all image processing except default brightness, contrast and color, like on older TVs.

What resolution did your older TV have?

I usually try to find a CNET review. They seem to give honest reviews and they review most tvs.

Do you have a good HDMI cable? 4k requires
alot of data transfer. Makes a huge difference. If you used the old one that may have came with your 1080p tv that may be the problem. Monster cable is a good brand.

This is my HDMI cable of choice:

https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-High-Speed-Supports-Ethernet-Return/dp/B00Z07XQ4A

I haven't used it for 4K, but it has good reviews on Amazon, and it's a really cheap 2-pack.

EDIT:

That cable is only good for 4K @30 Hz.

I don't know if that'll cut it for everyone.

The tv is literally only as good as the cables used. A $2000 tv will have a crap picture if you use crap cables. A good set should cost you somewhere between $20-$30 at Walmart or Amazon.

If that doesn’t fix the issue, you will still need the cables for the next tv whether you try your luck at another Samsung or go with another brand.

I really hope this fixes your problem. I can imagine the excitement of a brand new large tv and the letdown of a crappy picture.

Monoprice has good HDMI cables as well.

This one looks good, though shipping is not usually free:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992

I would never pay $20-30 for a 6-foot HDMI cable, but I would read plenty of reviews to find a bargain.

(Of course, the longer that cable, the more it's going to run you.)

Wouldn’t he already have decent cables if his previous large flat screen TV was producing a good picture? I knew someone who once got caught up in the premium cables arena… and after spending hundreds of dollars, he eventually realized that in most cases it’s a wash, compared to modestly priced decent quality cables.

Perhaps.

I think the old TV was 1080p and the new one is 4K.

Some HDMI cables are good for 1080p, but not good enough for 4K.

I really want to get a new TV but now my feelings are best described by this XKCD comic:

Maybe I’ll just live with my current TV. I don’t really use it that much anyways.

If you have the room/house for it, and can get your money back on the Samsung, you might want to check out a DLP projector.

Yeah, you could be right, that older spec HDMI cables could present some deficiencies. Maybe VoB could take his HDMI cable over to a friend’s house to see if it works OK. And if not, borrow one of their HDMI cables to see if that clears up picture on his set… before going through the return process.

Super high refresh rate is the new 3D when it comes to useless tech innovations to trick people into buying unnecessary, newer, and supposedly better products. But hopefully it will soon be replaced by HDR. Which is also useless most of the time but acceptable.

Manufacturers often push marketing terms such as extreme motion or 240hz, but to summarize why is this stupid, is because most movies are shot at 24fps and most YouTube videos or series at 30fps. Some action/sport footage are recorded in 60fps, but nothing above that.

So even if the screen refreshes the image 240 times per second (which in theory it doesn’t, it just refreshes the backlight), you’re only obtaining 24 or 30 or 60 frames worth of content per second. So by using algorithms and AI learning, the image processor grabs two frames one next to each other in a process similar to interpolation to create a new frame that simply wasn’t recorded or intended by the movie’s creators. Basically you’re getting an extra frame that is just the overlap of the two neighbor frames.

Even though this technology has been “perfected” year after year, it is still mediocre at best. Some people think it is amazing and they usually leave it on all the time, making everything look like if they were filmed with a slow motion camera and sped up again.

There are many other issues with modern TVs like motion blur or judder ad mentioned above, but are way less noticeable. OLED TVs doesn’t suffer from these problems as much.

But it’s weird that you can’t turn it completely off. I have help disable the motion smoothing setting in a handful of newly purchased TV, some of them have up to 3 settings that needs to be changed, but I never seen one that wouldn’t let you disable it.

Wouldn’t using a 120Hz refresh rate be superior to 60Hz at least? It is divisible by 24, 30, and 60.