Some time, spare parts and an old table lamp

I’ve been wanting to build something but I have so many flashlights that I can’t really justify spending more cash on yet another light I don’t need (blasphemy I know). So I took a an inventory of what I had on hand and decided to build something a little different.

I started with this.

Took the “reflector” off and this looked promising.

Lopped the wires off and removed the head, still looking good.

That bracket on the back of the socket may be useful.

I had one of these available from a previous build.

May even work.

This is where I started forgetting to take pictures.
I drilled the heatsink to make room for a Q-Lite stacked with 4 extra 7135s and set to 4 mode with memory, even made a little shelf for the driver to sit on with the dremel. Came out really well, wish I had taken a picture.

I used an XP-G2 5A3 Noctigon triple with a Carlco wide, frosted optic. I won’t tell you how much time I wasted trying to mod the Noctigon so I could secure it with screws instead of gluing it down with AA. I managed to file it down enough to work only to find the LEDs were now grounded to the heat sink. Since the driver was going to be on a shelf in the sink I was concerned it to would ground leaving me with a direct drive light.
Wasted more time with trying unsuccessfully to isolate the MCPCB but in the end just used the AA to glue it down.

I also glued the driver in with AA and guess what, the driver ended up isolated from the sink after all.

At any rate, the end result looked like this.

Drilled and threaded a hole in the sink for the bracket off the original socked. A little grinding to clear the driver and secured it with some JB Weld for good measure.

The sink was then riveted back into the head and installed on the lamp.

I had one of these 3P 18650 battery holders from Fasttech, also have a 2P version but had the room and opted for better run time.
I didn’t like the small wires so I removed them and soldered the original lamp cord right to the circuit board. The battery holder is attached to the lamp base with JB weld.

And this is the completed project, a nice little self contained task light.

Moon mode.

Medium mode.

With not quite fully charged laptop pulls my PVC tube light measuring thingy indicates approximately sub lumen moon, 15 lumen low, 180 lumen med and 750 lumen high but I suspect the output is better. My tube seems to heavily favor throwers and this is anything but a thrower.
Light is about 1 meter from the door in this pic.

It’ll go out to the garage, I’m sure it will come in handy.

Nice!! That is an awesome mod and great vision to see how the old and the new could work together. Time to go looking around the under cover flea market.

Love it. Was there room on underside of base to hide cells?

No, the base if full with a plastic coated weight.

How about integrating a charger?

I thought about that but was trying to keep this to parts on hand.

Very cool project! Thanks for sharing. Looks like it would be a handy work light for car/house projects, especially with the movable neck on the lamp and weighted base. I’m afraid this might get added to my list of “projects I don’t really have time for but are far more interesting than higher-priority tasks”… :wink:

Very nice! Pure genius.

Very cool re-use job!

Do I hear camping light? Love the mod. Very creative.

Nice mod :beer:

Very handy lamp! I had a lamp very similar to yours and went the easy way, bought an E27 high CRI led bulb for it. It does not run on batteries like yours, so it needs to be near mains, your lamp can be used anywhere :-)