SP 10 Pro first Impressions / questions

Just got an SP10 pro from member Garageboy and I am really liking it. This is the first light that is making me re-think my dismissal of 14500 cells. Before this light, my experience was that, at minimum, the 14500 wrecked moonlight and typically the other levels just didn’t do it for me. The other lights that I had were just better with AA for my use. On top of that, the only 14500 cells I have are marginal at best and are protected. This meant that I would loose the light without warning so the 14500 became just a novelty item for me.
The SP10 pro changes all of this. Andruil 2! Moonlight is excellent. Can have any light level I want. Plenty of useful levels that should give really good run time. Turbo punches way above its weight for such a tiny light. Pretty impressed so far with how well the light sheds heat. Haven’t configured it yet and it still is very bright for much longer than I expected.
The less than stellar parts of the light for me are the clip and the LH351D. Probably bordering on heresy to criticize the LH351D here and I will admit that it does not suck at all. I just really like the tint of the SST20 4000k. Compared to that the LH351D is just too cold and not as pleasant. The clip is kind of the same thing. It is actually quite good and is entirely serviceable. It just could be better.
The pairing of the OP reflector and the LED is supurb. The beam quality is right up there with my favorite pebbled TIR. It really is an excellent beam. A touch warmer and it would be perfection.
I have a question about turbo. (Currently using defaults set to advanced rather than simple.) Turbo does not appear to work the same with this as the Andruil 2 TS21. I am used to double clicking from off to get to high (forget the default for this 70%?), double click from on to turbo. With the SP10 Pro, double clicking goes to ? could be turbo or it could be high. There is nothing brighter than this. Is the Andruil build different between the two lights? Could it be that the 14500 cells I have just don’t have any more to give so that the light may indeed be trying for turbo but the cell won’t give any more power than high?
Unfortunately I did not get the Sofirn cell with this light. The best 14500 cell that I have is an Xstar protected and it would not surpize me if the light would be noticeably brighter with a better cell. Would like to also not have a protected cell. Anyone have experience with the Epoch 14500 1000mAh 10A Battery from 18650 battery store dot com? Other suggestions for a good 14500 cell with reasonable shipping in the USA?

The default ceiling is set to level 150/150 if I remember correctly. Thus you don’t see any difference. Set the ceiling to a lower level (7H from on, second item) and 2C turbo style to Anduril 1 (10H from on, 4th item, 1C) and you get the expected behavior.

SammysHP is the A2 authority here, along with gchart. A2 is different amongst its iterations. jon_slider is intimately familiar with settings, and might assist as well. Your current cell should suffice. I run a Keeppower 4A protected cell in my SP10 PRO with no issues. Regardless, as others have stated in thread reviews or comments, the Pro will not equal the output level of the SP10 V3. In my ignorant opinion, you will gain little or no perceptible increases in output by switching cells. Adjust your ceiling levels as SammysHP suggested, and you will see a difference in double click from top of ramp, albeit without “turbo” increase.

Thank you! Don’t know if I did this with my TS21 and forgot or if it was an earlier A2 build with a different default behavior. However, after doing as you suggested for setting the ceiling I got the light to work the way I want it to. I like the ceiling at 120/150 with the double click going there from off and to turbo when on. Did not change the turbo style to Anduril 1. However, when looking at that saw the option to keep the floor on 1H! This is fantastic and I didn’t notice was available before. No more accidentally getting too much light when I just want moonlight. Again, the floor 1 moonlight on this light is just want I wanted.

The default ceiling was raised for this specific light. Your TS21 had a lower default ceiling.

Am very grateful for this community and all the knowledge shared! IIRC the TS21 defaulted the ceiling at 120/150. This seems like a brilliant default to me. Don’t understand why they would change it for the SP10 but thanks to you I learned what the default was and changed it to the way I wanted it.

There are a few things that I wonder if someone can explain in a way that I can understand. I don’t quite get what the 150 levels are. IIRC, anduril 1 also had 150 levels. However, a floor set to level 1 was much brighter than a floor of 1 in A2. It seems to me that level 1 is quite different between A1 and A2 and I don’t get that. The other thing I don’t get is what is the relative difference for each level. It does not appear linear to me but perhaps I am just not looking at it correctly? For example, the 120/150 ceiling I like would be 80% power on a linear scale. It sure seems to me that in terms of both heat and power use going from 120 to 150 results in more than a 20% increase in power consumption. As I don’t have the equipment to measure the current I could be very wrong but that is my impression.

There are 150 levels. The minimum and maximum level is defined by the hardware of the driver. The ramp in-between is created in a way that it should appear more or less linear. This works quite well for the regulated 7135 channel. But for the FET channel you don’t know the actual brightness, so it will behave differently.

Perceived brightness is very different from actual power. For something to appear twice as bright you need at least four times the lumens. Also the output of LEDs is not linear, so you need even more than four times the power. Here is the current vs lumen graph of a random LED: XHP50.2 J4 4000k output test by Texas_Ace - Really impressive improvement from the last gen

Both has nothing to do with Anduril 1 vs 2, it’s just different hardware. There are some tricks to lower the minimum brightness in software, but very specific to a particular driver.

The default ceiling was changed for the SP10 because it is not a high power flashlight and level 150 should be safe to use on a regular basis.