SPAM Button Click Abuses

Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

I’m thinking about making some tweaks to the SPAM button algorithm. But the main problem basically comes down to one or two users who are consistently abusing the system. I do have records of all SPAM button clicks on every thread by every user, and I have contacted the user who is causing most of the problems. As always, account suspension is a last resort option that will be used in the case of repeat offenders.

FWIW, I was reporting spam for posts that I felt were attacking other members before you posted your clarification on when to report…

What others don't realize is that I pm'd Ima4wheelr apologizing for this post.

Did Ima4wheelr send me a pm back asking me to delete this post? No. Did this thread get temporarily deleted minutes after I made that post. Yes.

There are couple points to be made. Ima4wheelr did spam this forum. Spamming is simply repetitive posts that contribute nothing to the forum, and may or may not include advertising. Don't take my word for it though.

In our pm's yesterday, and the old thread, I told you what needs to get fixed. Once again you seem to have closed your mind. It's simple. The spam reporting system needs to get fixed. It lacks consistency. A member that repeatedly creates threads that are reported as spam might be banned like you were, or might not be.

Regarding my posts being SPAM. I completely disagree. I stated the purpose for their creation and I believe that they would have indeed added value to BLF.

You mischaracterize your PM's to me and I request that you do not contact me any further. We can talk in the forums about flashlight related topics, but I'm getting concerned about what is starting to feel like obsession with hurting me and smearing my reputation.

Can you tell us who are these users :quest:

I’d like to step in here and reiterate that according to the rules on use of the SPAM button, ImA4Wheelr’s reserved posts wouldn’t be considered spam, nor would this thread be considered spam. The real problem has to do with one specific user (who incidentally hasn’t posted in this thread yet) who either doesn’t understand the purpose of the SPAM button or is trying to cause problems.

And can you bring back myled user? They were posting good deals, wonder why they blocked and spammed ? Did they abuse forum :quest:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KlAfNk95obEJ:budgetlightforum.com/node/32658%3Fpage%3D5+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

I also remember ChibiM’s wallbuys thread was that spam victim too? Or something else?

sounds like kriesler even though hes not here lol.

ChibiM renamed that thread to something like this:

"...stinky bread from wallnuts...please mark as spam."

So it was marked as spam, though I wasn't one to mark it as spam.

> users who are consistently abusing the system

Don’t feed the trolls.

“troll v.,n. … a posting … designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase ”trolling for newbies”; which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”;, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite….”

People consistently abusing the system do it for their own amusement.
The more people they hook the happier they are.

Lock them out of here and they’ll go amuse themselves trolling some other site.

Maybe they would have, but the bottom line is that they've never had anything useful in them, and were spam by definition. That's why I and others suggested that you edit your threads offline if you don't want them to be read yet.

Yes, let's talk about smearing. Some of us were honest enough to admit that we reported those threads as spam and explained why, and I even said that you getting banned wasn't expected based on past experiences with reporting spam. You keep choosing to dismiss our reasoning, and even wikipedia. As I said, you didn't have to take my word for it, you could refer to wikipedia. What's the point of this thread if you're going to dismiss anyone that doesn't agree with you?

There was an idea for users to see the rules after clicking the spam button, then confirming. That would be a good idea since the guidelines for reporting spam in this forum are different from elsewhere.

From where I sit, you're the one doing the smearing, which is damn easy for you to do since others haven't seen our messages, and beyond that, the other thread has been hidden. I see this thread more as your attempt to tarnish the reputation of members that reported threads that were literally spam. Fine, you don't want to talk privately, let's do it publicly and let others decide who is doing the mischaracterizing.

In most forums, I would report these attacking posts, but we’ve been told not to…

Please do tweak that algorithm. As I said in the old thread that has been hidden, the prodecure is inconsistent. One member even posted a spammer that has had every thread reported and removed, yet that spammer account is still active. If that's the way it's supposed to work, then ima4wheelr should not have been banned when some of us clicked that spam button.

It'd also be good to add an extra step to show those rules before the report is confirmed. As others have said, it can be too easy to accidentally click that button, but it'd also serve to show your rules. Even if members like me us the more widely accepted definition of spam, at least it should reduce the possibility of others doing the same, thus reducing the chance of those threads or posts being deleted.

didn’t know that

only one user does all these spam activity? :quest:
Weird :exmark:

I've already admitted what I did. If admin wants to post any spam reports I made in regards to those threads and this one, that's fine with me. Who else is on board? OP?

I see no apology for making a post that was designed to rub my face in the fact that you got me banned and that you could publicly joke about it. You apologized if the post resulted in getting the thread deleted. I have no doubt you felt bad that the thread was deleted. You wanted your post to be seen.

EDIT: For the record, you had absolutely no permission from me to publicly discuss or post our private messages.

It has to be done:

I DONT LIKE SPAM! lol