SR95 UT gone under the knife

I made a spacer again using mag D head so that I can put another Elephant body on it,
this is not the body but I’ll make another one just like it, so this is the finished look, except the knob.

Lookin' good ma_sha1.

Are you planning on selling it?

Not planning to sell, the cost for putting this together is too high, probably lose my shirt…

You are a very brave and clever man ma_sha1 and all clever men need there shirt. Love the mod.

Thanks, shirt on :slight_smile:

The driver is on delay, as De witctel went one vacation

The only progress I could make is some cosmatic mod to make the skull knob.

Standard black knob on left, Q parts Skull knob on right. The stock skull knob is for guitar use, it’s too big. Also, I wanted black alu body, the skull know is too big & shiny, It felt out of place.

What I did is grind down the Q parts knob (made of brass) to the skull section & trans locate that into the the black alu knob body.

Another picture, showing the light next to TN31, it’s actually not that much bigger than TN31 but the hour glass figure makes it easier to hold and much more stylish IMHO.

Are you using Der witctel sst90 driver ? i didn’t realise it had a variable output…

Yes, & he does have a new version with variable out put, also optional current up to 10A max.

Here is the look of the variable driver, the gray triple wire is for pod use.

making progress but slow as a snail.

Drilled a hole & installed the pod. Spent half a day making the heat sink for driver, I made it hollow to hide the driver inside so it won’t take up extra room:

The only thing left to do is to solder the wires, should be able to finish it later today after the potting dry up.
This better be working….

lookin good ma sha

next time you do a ‘battle in the woods’ i would like to put my vpt3 & aspheric up against it :slight_smile:

It’s all Done,

I rushed into my kitchen & did a quick 10 meter lux, 228,100 lux @ 1 meter :slight_smile:

I was showing off to my wife & she loved it, she loves skulls & was blown away by the bad ass look & super brightness & skull knob ramping UI, She nick name it Mr. Meyham

Would love to test against VP3, I am going to finish battle in the woods 3 tonight & compare it with FF3.
Do you have a FF3 that you can compare the VP3 with? That way, we have a common reference.

yes sir i do :slight_smile:

the ma bin vpt3 tested at 197k lux… in theory the mb bin is about 7% higher flux (but may be as low as 1% or as high as 14%)

so on paper the mb vpt3 ~approx 199k lux - 220k lux

its going to be a close one!!

i guess variations of 10k lux are really not that much at these numbers… only +/- 5%

edit: if you wanted to compare side by side - I could meet you somewhere after work since it gets dark around 445…. i work in downtown new haven and live in the danbury area

Simply amazing, ma_sha! You never fail to impress.

What pot do you use for these? Care to share part# and source?

Thanks Johnny,

The pot is 10K pot bought on ebay: “Alpha 10k Log Pot Potentiometer”
Link: ” Alpha 10k Log Pot Potentiometer”:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-10k-ohm-Audio-Taper-Log-Pot-A10K-Solder-Lugs-Split-Shaft-Potentiometer-EB-/120969184322?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item1c2a534442

Snapped a few photos while it was on the way to finishing.
The CBT 90 looks like direct solder to copper under ceramic PCB, huge surface area for heat transfer

Great reflector but glass lens is nor AR, which means I could get extra 20K lux (9%) if I can find a AR lens 82mmx3mm.

Just completed beam shots for the battle, posting beam shots in another thread soon, here is a sneak preview of the warriors:

While doing the beam shots, I also did 100 feet (30.5 meter) lux measurements out door.
Outdoor lux measured @ 30.5 meters under slight rain, saturated humidity, most numbers 5-10% lower than indoor 10 meter lux.

Left to right:
ThruNite TN31, XML U2 3.5A———————–100 ft outdoor wet, 106 Klux—-Indoor 10 meter lux –115 klux
FM3X Elephant CBT-90, 9A————————–100 ft outdoor wet, 100 Kux—-Indoor 10 meter lux—105 klux
FM3V Silver Elephant, CBT90,15A————100 ft outdoor wet, 150 Klux—Indoor 10 meter lux—155 klux
Fire-Fox III, 40W HID ————————————–100 ft outdoor wet, 200 Klux—-Indoor 10 meter lux—221 klux
Mr. Mayham, SR95 UT Elephant 10A—100 ft outdoor wet, 210 Klux—-Indoor 10 meter lux—228 klux
Darth Vader, 3” Aspheric XMLU2 6.5A-100 ft outdoor wet, 265 Klux—-Indoor 10 meter lux—280 klux

Ma_sha, is it a pot or a pod?

those are some great numbers :slight_smile:

corrected, Thanks!

Thanks! It was really hard to take down the FF3, Mr Mayham did it, although by a small margin :slight_smile:

duplication deleted

The ff3 is one light I will never sell… even if/when a ff4 is released. its the tiny monster of hids

even if those last two werent the top performers, id still probably do about anything for them… nice throwers you got there ma sha

beam shots are up:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/13480