SST-10-IR, new high power 3535 IR leds from Luminus in 810, 850 and 950nm

Press release, pdf

Datasheets here: Luminus : Infrared [IR] LEDs

I have not had time (yet) to compare the specifications with the newest Osram and Lumiled IR leds.

The light from those must look like a really faded deep red, if you can see it at all. What practical applications within flash lighting would these be used for? Or is it more of a tech. demonstration?

You could put one of them inside a flashlight and use it to switch off/on TV sets where you don’t have access to a remote (hotels, lobbies, railway stations, airports, …). That was how it was done years ago with IR diodes.
I wouldn’t need them for that purpose, but I am sure there are other options.

edit:
the picture was removed because some users were offended by it. I apologize.

What is that, an optical dazzler? Hope we aren’t advocating for nefarious activity.

Not advocating anything, besides many folks have stated that it won’t work (modern ALPR systems won’t be fooled, so don’t do it). But illumination at night is one use case for IR LEDs, either for hunting cameras or around the house.

Yet you still post what looks very obviously like a device intended to obscure license plate identification. What are we looking at with this picture?

“The using of IR for night vision”, not without the proper viewing devices! IR is useless without such tech in all practical use cases.

I have removed the picture, sorry if it offended you. It was a project in Australia and I should have referenced it fully instead of just posting an image.

Looks like something that could be very useful with my night vision gear and cameras, but if you had enough power in a dark place you could even see them yourself.

I think most CCTV (surveillance cameras) could use much better IR LEDs. Mine are “OK” but don’t reach far enough. I guess the camera manufacturers would want to sell more cameras rather than making the few you buy better/with better illumination.

As for usefulness in flashlights, there are a few night hunt enthousiasts on BLF who like to get IR-light far away and enough to be visible by night camera’s. For them newer higher power IR leds is good news.

The TV-B-Gone projects would certainly have some power with these emitters!
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/14221

-

Hunting would certainly be the number one use here I’d imagine. Night vision still more popular than thermal until prices drop more.