SST40 Color Temp in new Convoy 21700 lights? Too High!!!

The new Convoy M21A and S21A lights sure look interesting, but the current (and only) versions that Convoy sells uses an SST40 emitter that has a color temperature that’s way up in space (6500K). I downloaded the SST40 datasheet from the Luminus webpage, and it looks like the lowest color temperature offered for the SST40 is 5000K which is a real pity because that color temperature is still too high. Does anybody know if Simon is going to offer any other emitter color temperatures in the new 21700 lights? The 5000K would be a lot better thank 6500K, but I would still prefer something lower…in the 3500-4000K range. Thanks.

Your best option is to ask him directly via his site, or in this thread here:

If you have a specific emitter in mind that you know he has access to you can ask him for a custom build, he accomodates where he can.

I hear from Astrolux they can not buy any more 5000K SST-40 maybe production of them stopped

Unfortunately SST-40 emitters are now only produced in 6500K, according to Luminus. Luminus : Specialty White LEDs

No idea why they offer such a broad range of color temps in the SST-20, but not the 40. Simon even wrote in his thread that he’d love to offer his lights in 4000K if that were available.

The only other comparable high power emitter is the new 3v xhp50.2 but those too are only made in cool white.

The Luxeon V should be very similar in output to the SST-40 and it’s available in several CCTs. Their max current according to specs is 4.8A. Real max current is of course higher. The disadvantage is that the size is 4040 rather then the standard 3535 or 5050, but Kaidomain and Led4Power sell MCPCBs for it.

Agreed.

Oh well, I’d like to have a SST-40 in around 5000K. But guess that won’t happen if they only make 6500K… :smiley:

I purchased Convoy M21A and Convoy S21A to check them out.

The Convoy M21A uses a forward-clicky switch.

I’m not experienced with real modding… but I’m wondering if I can change the forward-clicky switch into a reverse-clicky switch?

That is, I would like the M21A’s switch to behave similar to the Convoy S21A switch (which is reverse-clicky).
What switch (size or kind) do I need to purchase to change the M21A to reverse-clicky? It’s just a simple swap & replace, isn’t it?

I would love it too. My future wish-flashlight will be Higher CRI >90+ and lower colour temperature like 3000k-4000k… Flood light led similar to SST40, XHP70.2… 21700 cell for light in weight and good Capacity plus Higher CDR. I like bigger hotspot, larger diode like XHP70.2.

I don’t know who gonna do this first, its IF either Luminus, Nichia or CREE… I gonna hell wait for it…

luminus must have gone insane ?

Nah, not really.

The SST-40 6500k is dirt cheap on the Chinese markets due to their massive use.

The SST-40 5000k-5700k on the other hand, are in very high demand, and are rather expensive in comparison.

If only there were a 90CRI option of the SST-40.

Would make some lights much better, like that recent Haikelite light.

Exactly, if the demand is high Luminus is crazy to cease production.

Likewise 6500K are cheap due to high supply, not how commonly they’re used.

All the SST-40s I’ve seen have been very green and had major tint shift. I’d be way more interested in standard footprint, higher CRI offerings from Luxeon TBH.

I would be more than willing to purchase several 5000K SST-40’s if someone could buy a reel. I can check with Arrow.com and see if they can provide one. If there are enough interest. I will check anyway.

Edit- Request sent to Arrow.com. We will see if they can even get them.

Just saw that Kaidomain seems to have SST-40s in 5000K. Maybe that helps.

And Simon started selling 5000k SST-40s too.

Simon Aliexpress store had a $4 dollar coupon I used it to buy some LEDs but apparently you can use it for anything in the store. It just appeared on his page and I took it!

Yeah,on Convoy too. Bare sst40 5000k and optional tint selection on their sst flashlight.

What I do note is that, Luminus had 2 type of CRI namely : STANDARD CRI70 and HIGH CRI90+. High cri only exist on sst20 version with 2700-4000 available.

so this one is standard 70 cri… 5000k neutral white. Wonder out there trying this newly 5000k tint.

That what I’ve heard. But, Luxeon do had a high cri? I only saw luxeon led emit a very tense white light, like xhp 35.

I think there are some high-CRI options from them but not any emitters that would be very useful for most flashlights, and many of theirs have a strange footprint.

XHP35 4500K 85+ CRI are insanely good (high output, efficient, slightly rosy tint, very neutral temp, VERY little tint shift, neither super throwy or floody, much better color rendering compared to 70 CRI options) but only available in 12V. I wish there was an X-PL HI available in that temp and CRI - it would probably be the only emitter I use.

Sliced 5000K 90CRI LH351Ds from good tint bins are the closest thing I’ve found for 3V emitters.

Thanks pals for telling me this, I wouldn’t have know that… :+1: I will waiting for this year2019, a new LED product release… not only a high cri, but like your saying, little tint shift yet a better one…