stubborn threads! FW3a

Hi Guys,

Just after any tips or tricks.

Picked up a new Lumintop FW3A in the UK via amazon and i was quite surprised to see that it had a glass lens, as i know the EU versions were initially shipping with a plastic one. I was told that the retaining ring is likely also installed now to hold the tail switch in place but i cant for the life of me unthread the tailcap! Either they massively over-torque these now or theres some glue involved (which i would hope it not the case)

Either way, if i want to add a turboglow tail switch ill need to get this sucker off.

Any tips? I might my trick of chilling the light then adding heat quickly to the tail with a heatgun to get the cap to expand faster than the tube inside. But before i start messing with thermal tricks, has anyone had this issue and found a nice way to do it?

Thanks,
Neil

The only issue I had was with the FW1A head, that had blue glue (thread locker).
I am not sure if the same is happening to yours.
This is what I got by that time: Lumintop FW1A discussion and review - #381 by MascaratumB

It needed to get some heat and…some pliers. Not even gloves or rubber keys were helping. I ended up “damaging” the knurling but then gave it a new look.

About the glass lens vs plastic optics, that was an initial thing that was later resolved. Lumintop was not able to sort Carclo 10511 optics at first, but then bot options were possible.
I picked one from the firts batches and it was already with Carclo optic + glass lens.

BTW, to remove the ring from the bottom, you can use nose pliers, pointy tweezers, and there is also a specific “tool” for that, that I don’t find necessary.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000340638255.html

I managed to get it off, looks like it was just torqued down good. Surprisingly no lube either so they really dont want you to take that base cap off! Weird as it does indeed now have the retaining ring. Anyway to solution was 10 minutes in the fridge. Then the heat from just my hand was enough and it popped free.

Ill have to get me one of those tools, looks a little nicer than fiddling with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Thanks for helping! :slight_smile: