Such a thing as a 3xAA XM-L light with batteries batteries in line?

3xNiMH shouldn’t need a boost driver. This will give you a plateau voltage of around 3.6-3.9V, which is plenty. Also remember that a Malkoff XM-L2 drop-in for 3-4C/D uses only a linear driver. And a 3C/D Mag with a Malkoff XM-L2 is perfectly capable of draining the batteries.

The Trustfire 3T6 has 3 XMLs (1400 lumens approx) and in its 3 18650 configuration it can run on 4 AAs.

I have to say that I’m liking this Dereelight Javelin. The only problem is that I can’t find a good place to get it. The Dereelight site wants a FORTUNE ($20) to ship it. And Flashlight Connection (which is local) is out of stock on both the light itself and accessories (like the extension tube).

Mine shipped for free. I just checked the Dereelight site and it says “Shipped free by China Post to worldwide”.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Light-Lamp-for-Fishing-Outdoor-with-Strap-300LM-/330945463737?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4d0de305b9

I have a solarforce light with extensions I run on 3xAA. This is a bigger light though and I have a roll of paper in the tube to stop battery rattle.

Now that you mention it, it does say that on the bottom on the screen. Yet if I click on the shopping cart, it takes me to Paypal, and shows a $20 shipping charge. And for whatever reason, I can’t even click on the shopping cart for just the host.

Thanks Flomotion! It’s getting cheaper! I’m still waiting for a 2nd one at $6.89 but this one is $5.62.
Mod is using P60 drop in reflector.
:beer:

There’s something wrong with their site. Just contact them.

Seems like Dereelight have made some changes.

The website has always been a bit cryptic but there now appear to be some inconsistencies.

The Javelin, DA3 and C2H pages are displaying free shipping via China Post

The CL1H-T and DBS-T don't mention any shipping fee

The Nightmaster and XSearcher pages are saying free shipping for orders over $200, otherwise $20 shipping fee

They did offer free shipping in the past as I have bought a number of items from them. Perhaps they have changed their policies. Shoot an email off to Alan and ask, he is usually pretty prompt with replies. The Javelin is a very good light, but an extra $20 shipping on a $54 order would certainly push it into a premium price category.

Can you find a local dealer?

I hope the whole $20 shipping unless it’s over $200 isn’t the way things are now. Because that would SERIOUSLY be a deal killer for a $30 host and $8 extension tube. As far as getting the light locally, there is Flashlight Connection here in Northern California. But they appear to be out of stock on the Javelin.

Speaking of the Javelin, I wonder if it could be used with two extension tubes for more runtime.

I talked to Dereelight. And it looks like they discontinued the extension tube. 2AA = worthless as far as running an XM-L with any degree of finesse. So scratch that one.

I just use a 14500 and a dummy.

Don’t want Li-Ion.

Well, I found someone who had a Javelin and extension tube. And I just got it today. I haven’t yet tested it out in the dark. But then again, it just has the XPE drop-in that came with the light. So I can’t expect alot - yet. With the 3AA extension tube, it’s a really nice, ergonomic light. FAR better than without the tube. It’s kind of nice in that it gives you some of the feeling of a big light in your hands without being big. Then again, that’s a BIG part of why I got this light.

The XPE is what I have - in the smooth reflector.

Be prepared for a good tight hotspot and plenty of throw. The XML emitter you were originally chasing would be much more floody.

If the XPE beam is not what you wanted I guess you can go with another dropin or use some diffusing film.

Interested to hear your impressions after testing.

Throw is not really what I’m looking for. The XPE simply came with the light when I orderd it. Since I use my lights mainly for hiking, a floody beam is what I am REALLY looking for. So I’m probably going to be looking for a drop-in with an XM-L2 with orange peel reclector.

StominMatt.

Any reason why you don’t consider RacerR mod ?
The host is now available for $5.62 and XML P60 Drop-in for $7.62 from FastTech.
:beer:

XM-L2 Orange Peel from Kaidomain

I have the olight S15 and its an awesome light! Really tiny in single cell form. I like the button and magnet. I have an other on order so will have two extensions to use 3xAA batteries in series. So far the beam and tint are to my liking. Not a huge thrower but compared to my Zebralight SC52 very similar beams. Hope that helps?

Don’t know what extensions you’re using, I can’t seem to fit 3 on mine. But as a general rule of thumb, if something accepts 3 18650s it’ll also accept 4 AAs. I run my L2M with 2 extensions on 4 AAs :smiley: