Suggested 1xAA and 1xAAA Lights With Rear Clicky Switch?

Xtar WK50 fits the bill if you can find one.
4 mode with memory, no blinks, real moonlight AA rear switch.
Does have PWM if that bothers you.

Switched my emitter to a warm white XP-G2 and love it. Bedside light for 2 years and change.

true, your wallet is safe, because your requirements are too limiting, you will need to adjust your expectations

> Lumintop Tool AAA 1 x AAA; no mode memory, and middle part of light body smaller than head and tail parts.

if you become flexible about memory, the Tool AAA is imo one of the best lights you could buy, because it is available in Nichia, and there is the choice of Clicky or Electronic switch. And you could think of the fact it always starts on medium, as a form of Memory, it always starts on medium, that is easy to remember :slight_smile:

now about that waistline, it is an ADVANTAGE!, it keeps the light easily in your hands… totally straight bodies are too FAT in the middle… lol

with all due respect, I also have many very limiting criteria, and have just about never found a light that meets all of them.
So I buy lights I want and if there is a feature missing, I buy another light with some of the features I want… and around we go

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

I would prefer not to "mod" a flashlight in order to get the light that I want in the end due to risk of damage to the light body and/or to components. I'll only consider this "modding" as a last option in the event I can't find a suitable pre-built light.

Enogear Stainless Steel AA/14500 1 x AA; no mode memory, low brightness setting not low enough (exact throw unable to be determined due to lack of specifications), and being stainless steel it is a bit on the heavy side.

4Sevens Preon P1 MkIII 1 x AAA; not a proper mode memory (ie "hybrid" memory which behaves in a manner I don't like), and low brightness appears to be not quite low enough (exact throw unable to be determined due to lack of specifications).

Xtar WK50 1 x AA; low brightness setting not low enough (throw ~ 10 m).

Tank007 PA01 1 x AAA; insufficient data to make a determination.

I don't really want to buy more lights in order to get the parameters or features I want from lights. It would mean having to carry two or more lights in order to have the features available for use when required. This would be inconvenient and also a more expensive option. So multiple lights is not really an attractive option.

Get a T10 and paint the bezel, or live with it as is. It meets all of your functional requirements for $20.

I respect your process, and appreciate your replies with your thoughts on various options

the times when a sublumen moonlight is needed is a different situation, than times when a 5 lumen low is useful, therefore the switchable eagletac could be perceived as a 2 lights in one option

you have not specified how many lumens you want for the low. I agree 5 lumens is not low enough for some situations, but it is low enough for most situations. Though I prefer a light with a low below 5 lumens, even below .5 lumens at times.

The thrunite has one of the lowest lows in the selection, and if your only objection is the silver bezel, maybe that can be solved.

your price limitations may also need to become more flexible, to get what you really want…

good luck with your process

btw, throw is imho a totally irrelevant consideration. All these lights have only so much power, limited by the battery, so whatever you get will be generally similar.

There are criteria that are more important, to me, than throw. For example, CRI, NoPWM, and CCT. That is to say, I prefer Nichia LEDs, and drivers that dont flicker, and I dont care for Cool White… which is I the Lumintop Tool AAA is my pick. Personally, I prefer the mechanical clicky version, over the electronic switch version. I did not buy the AA Tool because it has PWM.

in the past I though it important for a light to tailstand. That is not important to me anymore… I discovered in actual use that I can tailstand any light, just drop it into a cup or glass.

anyway, the point is preferences evolve, and priorities change.

I look forward to hear you found a light that makes you smile

You wrote;

“Thorfire PF03 1 x AAA; no mode memory.”

Have a PF03 right here in front of me and double checked. Has mode memory and a very low moonlight and no blinkies.
And handles my 10440’s.
HTH

Later,
Keith

DO NOT GET THE ZANFLARE F2, I got 2 of them…both have problems with mode switching…GARBAGE

At this stage the Thrunite T10 basically meets all requirements in terms of functionality. And yes, I thought about coloring the T10's bare aluminum head (using a marker pen or similar), or just turning a blind eye to the head's bare aluminum look (difficult for me as aesthetics are somewhat important).

If nothing better turns up, I might go for the T10. We'll see.

To get a minimum required throw of no more than about 2 meters, then the light output has to be less than 1 Lumen (depending also on beam angle to an extent).

According to this link, and to this link, the Thorfire PF03 does NOT have mode memory and always comes on in the lowest (moonlight) mode!? So there appears to be a discrepancy as to whether the PF03 does actually have mode memory or not. Can anyone explain the situation?

Both referenced links to the PF03 are from 2015.
Old model, old UI.
Light has mode memory currently.

Ah! Of course, the latest version of the PF03 must have mode memory function added.

Based on online data (some data appears contradictory!) contained in a copy of the instruction manual for the PF03, the approximate throw at low/moonlight is about 7 meters. So the PF03 is not really suitable.

The Thrunite T10 has an approximate throw of 2 meters at lowest setting which is (more) suitable for my purposes.

I can’t remember exactly the model of the flashlight, but Olight is about to launch an AAA flashlight, with FORWARD tail switch, 2 modes only (doesn’t have memory because you can choose the mode before making the full click).

The video was on the Youtube (Olight World channel) but I guess it has been removed.
If I remember correctly, it would be the model i3T and it would be launched till the end of this week.
Seek on their site or store if you can find it if you are interested!! :wink:

Oh boy :person_facepalming:
Sorry, the video was old then…I messed up :smiley:
Thanks for the heads up on these!

Still, maybe it’s a nice suggestion, who knows? :wink:

Comments noted about the Olight i3T EOS. The "spiral" design doesn't look attractive though. We'll see about this light when it is eventually released for sale.

Also looking at a Thrunite Ti5 1 x AAA light. Although it appears to be discontinued, there are some interesting points about this light. And I think these lights are still for sale in some stores.

Hello, I have a type of flashlight that meets some of your requirements. It has Rear Switch, uses 1 x AA NiMH, 1 x AA Alkaline, or 1 x AA lithium battery. Medium/ Low /High, 3 Modes. Under the Low Mode the Beam Distance is 11.5m. Hope it helps. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253569166510

Thanks, but the light low output throw at 11.5 m is a bit too much. I really want no more than about 2 or 3 m throw at a light's lowest setting.

The Acebeam M10 is one of the best rear clicky AA’s

Thanks, but the Acebeam M10 has already been found to have a slightly longer throw (~ 9 m) at its lowest setting which is just a bit too far for my purposes.

Sorry but I don’t understand your rule for selecting the light, you only look at the throw and not the lumens?

There is a solution and it’s called DC fix