Suggestion Gathering for the Sofirn SC28 User Interface

Sofirn, I know that this is not what you want to read but I will be honest with you: Andruil is the way to go. It’s simple for basic use, convenient and rich. And already known to enthusiasts. Your home-brewed solution is unlikely to come close in usability.

1 Thank

I love having Anduril on my lights as much as you maybe even more, but this is a mechanical switch light. Anduril on it simply wouldn’t work, and it would need a lot of redesigning to be e-switch compatible.

3 Thanks

Most of us on here don’t need or want strobe afaik, but I understand it is a “must-have” in the tactical category, catered to security or duty people that believe in it? I don’t know.

1 Thank

I think having a mode group with strobe and another without it solves that problem, or alternatively a hidden (but quick access) strobe mode behind something like 2 or 3 fast taps

The only useful application of a standard strobe mode is in a night club, I love it when companies get bold and just get rid of it. But I know it sells to the wider market, so agree with tucking it away or allowing it to be disabled

I’ve had this flashlight for a while; I bought it on Amazon, and I think it’s a great deal, at least with the coupon. The build quality and haptics are decent, and I really like the lens and the quality of light it produces.

The pre-set modes are fine; it’s more a matter of personal preference whether someone likes them or not.
In my opinion, the primary program should remain unchanged. However, I would suggest limiting the tactical program to just turbo and strobe. The third program can remain as it is or be changed to only 350 lumens; I don’t care.

The method used to switch between modes is so bad, however, that it really interferes with the use of this flashlight. And I don’t mean that the user interface is complicated because it isn’t.
If, after a few seconds of the light being on, one wants to switch to a higher level, the timing can be unfortunate, leading to an unwanted mode change. This is very annoying and, in fact, it completely ruins the experience of using an otherwise good flashlight.
In a perfect world, I would prefer to change the modes by unscrewing and re-screwing the head while the flashlight is on.
In the real world, the suggestion of an eight-tap change, as proposed by Barry, seems quite reasonable. However, it should be eight very quick taps; otherwise, we might encounter the same issue as by the current method when changing levels in a loop. A really fast tap and click / double tap as a shortcut to turbo mode in the main setting would also be awesome. In such a case, turbo mode could be hidden, and the main mode limited to moon-low-medium-high.

By the way, this is my second post on this forum, so hello to everyone.

2 Thanks

Thank you so much for sharing!

There would not be a perfect way to avoid complaints.

I am going to make another version with only program 1: moon/low/medium/high/turbo

I may name it as SC28S

What do you say?

By the way, weclome to BLF! And enjoy!

1 Thank

I’d like to see Crescendo used on this light. Doesn’t require much memory space.

1 Thank

Of course…

I think it’s a great idea. The problem of accidentally switching between modes mainly occurs in programs 1 and 3, which can make your “granny mode” less practical since there’s a 100% chance it will be accidentally switched to the main mode sooner or later.
I think most people will be satisfied with the sc28S version.
If someone requires a tactical mode for professional or self-defense reasons, the first version of the light will work well. In these situations, users typically only need turbo, with strobe being needed very rarely.

Thank you, I will.

This would also be a very good solution.
How about the SC28-C (with Crescendo) version for enthusiasts and SC28-S for everyone else? :grin:

2 Thanks

What a SC28C with Crescendo would be like? Would you please explain?

Crescendo is a ramping firmware for clicky switches.

3 Thanks

Another Crescendo-Fan here! IMO it is best enjoyed with reverse clickies.

1 Thank

Crescendo would completely change the character of this flashlight, and it would become more of an edc and outdoor flashlight for enthusiasts. Of course, the version with only one program in sc28s will be more suitable for a wider group of buyers and users, and business is business.

Yes, I agree. I have, however, been able to use Crescendo on my Convoy L2. What I notice on that forward clicky light is when I take off the tail cap to replace a battery, it resets to no memory and starts ramping. With the SC28-C(rescendo), the user could just charge the battery within so that could work fine. Of course, someone can just install a reverse clicky switch.

cant wait!

Do you know of any other source of Crescendo drivers than Mnt Electronics? Do you flash it yourself?

@ToyKeeper has a repository that is provided a number of times in various posts of the forum.
Regarding firmware mods, I don’t have flashing equipment.

Edit- Flashlight Firmware Repository

My understanding is the led is a XHP50.2 What is the amp on that?
Would a B35AM look good in SC28S?

I think until someone opens up the light, we won’t know for sure but it should be a boost driver. I posted in another chat a picture of the spring side of the driver and it looks like there are flashing pads on it.